What's new

China, Japan, Vietnam & Korea

China is a Confucius country Buddhism is just one religion in China,China also has large number of Muslims and Christians,but what bind the nation together is fundemantally Confucian teachings,ethics and values.

China is a Confucius country Buddhism is just one religion in China,China also has large number of Muslims and Christians,but what bind the nation together is fundemantally Confucian teachings,ethics and values.

OK, China is out of the list of countries where Buddhism is pay significant role in society. The rest is Korea, Japan and Vietnam.

800px-Buddhist_distribution.png

Confucianism is a Chinese ethical and philosophical system developed from the teachings of the Chinese philosopher Confucius (孔夫子 Kǒng Fūzǐ, or K'ung-fu-tzu, lit. "Master Kong", 551–479 BC). Cultures and countries strongly influenced by Confucianism include mainland China, Taiwan, Korea, Japan and Vietnam, as well as various territories settled predominantly by Chinese people, such as Singapore

Most Confucian countries are pretty well off except for Vietnam,really don't know why...

Confucian temples outside mainland China

With the spread of Confucian learning throughout East Asia, Confucian temples were also built in Vietnam, Korea, and Japan.

Taiwan
Zuoying Taiwan Confucius TempleThe first Confucian Temple in Taiwan was the "Taiwan Confucian Temple" (台灣孔廟), which was built in the period of Tungning Kingdom (1661–1683). A more recent one, the Taipei Confucius Temple (臺北市孔廟), was begun on Wenwu Street in Taipei in 1879, torn down by Japanese in 1907, to make place for the Taipei First Girls' High School, and reerected on Dalong Street from 1925 to 1939. The new temple was designed by Wang Yi-Shun, who also oversaws its construction. The design is an example for typical Fujian temple style. Every year on September the 28th, the birthday of Confucius, city authorities hold here the Shidian Ceremony. In addition, there is a Confucian temple located in Zuoying District Kaohsiung that was completed in 1974 in the Northern Song architectural style.

Vietnam
Third courtyard of Văn Miếu in HanoiA Confucian Temple in Vietnam is called Văn Miếu. The earliest recorded Confucian Temple in Vietnam is the Temple of Literature or Van Mieu in Hanoi, established in 1070. After 1397, with the construction of schools throughout Vietnam under the Tran, Confucian temples began to spread throughout the country. Well-known Confucian temples were built in Hue, Tam Ky, Hoi An, Hung Yen, Hai Duong, Bien Hoa, Vinh Long and Bac Ninh.

Korea
Outside China, the largest number of Confucian temples is found in Korea. Temples were first built during the Goryeo period (918-1392). In the time of Yi Seonggye (r. 1392-1398), it was decreed that Confucian temples should be built in all areas of the nation. Although Chinese models were followed, variations in layout and construction were common, such as the building of schools in front of temples. Korea also added its own scholars (the eighteen scholars of the East) to the Confucian pantheon.

Historically, Korea had a total of 362 temples devoted to the cult of Confucius. After World War II and the division of the country, those in the North were converted to other uses. However, many of the 232 temples in the South continued their activities (see Munmyo). In addition to temples devoted to the cult of Confucius, the Republic of Korea also has twelve Confucian family temples, two temples in private schools, and three libraries.

Japan
Confucian temples (孔子廟 kōshi-byō) were also widely built in Japan, often in conjunction with Confucian schools. The most famous is the Yushima Seido, built in 1630 during the Edo period as a private school connected with the Neo-Confucianist scholar Hayashi Razan. Originally built in Shinobi-ga-oka in Ueno, it was later moved to Yushima (Ochanomizu) by the Tokugawa Shogunate and reopened as a school of Confucianism to spread the teachings of the Hayashi school.

Other well-known Confucian temples are found in Nagasaki, Bizen (Okayama prefecture), Taku (Saga prefecture), and Naha (Okinawa prefecture).

EOS_6343_raw.jpg

3150040709_3c259cdb15.jpg

Sleeping Buddha, Long Son Buddhist Temple, Nha Trang, Vietnam

nhatrang-temple-ruins.jpg

Buddhist Temple, Nha Trang, Vietnam from time of Champa (Viet Thuong).

HDtimelapse.net_People_0273_hirez.jpg

Buddhist Temple Tran Quoc in Hanoi from time of Ly Dynastry.

Hanoi-Vietnam-4201.jpg

Buddhist Temple Tran Quoc in Hanoi from time of Ly Dynastry.

hcm%20mahayana%20buddhist%20temple.jpg

Buddhist Temple in Sothern Vietnam.

the-44-8m-high-amitabha-buddha-statue-the-highest-of-its-kind-in-vietnam-stands-at-tong-lam-lo-son-temple-in-nha-trang-city-photo-chau-tuong-770071-vh130112012-512x412.jpg

Highest Amitabha Buddha statue in Vietnam.

Vinh_Nghiem_Temple_in_Saigon.jpg_2271352008_2_S_1.jpg

Buddhist Temple Vinh Nghiem in Saigon, Vietnam.

20080222-Buddhist,%20Fawang%20Temple,%20second%20oldest%20in%20China101850_01.jpg

Buddhism is regarded as the largest religion in China today, with 100 million followers, or about 8 percent of the Chinese population, including Tibetans, Mongolians and a few other ethnic minorities like the Dai. There is roughly around the same number of Christians and Muslims. According to the State Administration for Religious Affairs there are about 13,000 Buddhist temples and about 200,000 Buddhist monks and nuns. Still, it can be argued that Buddhism is not embraced with the same ethusiasm amd devotion as it is in other Asian countries and in Tibet. Many Buddhist temples in China are watched over by caretakers not monks. In Japan and Korea, many people are buried according to Buddhist rites, but that is not usually the case in China.

BUDDHISM IN CHINA - China | Facts and Details

It's concept in Chinese "Tam Giáo Cửu Lưu" 3 religion and 9 movement related to China only, we don't care.

Is there anyone want you to understand the culture that beyond you?I just wanna you realize that you have no admission to take a comment on our culture because your poor civilization.

It's concept in Chinese "Tam Giáo Cửu Lưu" 3 religion and 9 movement related to China only, we don't care.

And I don't think you guys know much about languages of China,san jiao jiu liu.

Is there anyone want you to understand the culture that beyond you?I just wanna you realize that you have no admission to take a comment on our culture because your poor civilization.

And I don't think you guys know much about languages of China,san jiao jiu liu.

Like all other religious activity in China, Confucius, Taoism and Buddhism was suppressed in the first decades of the People's Republic of China (and even persecuted during the Cultural Revolution).
To day, Chinese people have to do what Mao said: there were 3 reactionary enemy òf revolution or Deng is talking about white cat or black cat. Not about san jiao jiu liu 三教九流.

Like all other religious activity in China, Confucius, Taoism and Buddhism was suppressed in the first decades of the People's Republic of China (and even persecuted during the Cultural Revolution).
To day, Chinese people have to do what Mao said: there were 3 reactionary enemy òf revolution or Deng is talking about white cat or black cat. Not about san jiao jiu liu 三教九流.

It's true. And it also suppressed during KMT era as well. There's a believe at the time that Chinese civilization is worthless, useless and disgusting.

I'm agree that mainland Chinese definitely aren't a Confucius society. There's no Confucianism in any mainland Chinese I met. Everything is just money, money and money. I wonder if any mainland Chinese members here understand about Confucius teaching.

Taiwan is also not a country based on Confucianism too. Taiwan is based on democracy, that is the fact and reality. The government and media are busy talking about freedom and human rights, imported from US. In society, Taiwanese mainly are Buddhist, with small followers of Taoism and Confucianism.

I'm agree if people said, Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese are more Confucian than a Chinese.

Confucianism in Chinese society today is belong in the trash bin.

^^ I dont know how true about our northern brothers and sisters , but Confusianism is still deep in our heart in southern China particulary my home village.

^^It will fade away in the near future. It just a matter of time.

Confucianism will be like Hanfu. If you wear it on the street now, people will laugh on you. That is the future of Confucianism in China.

^^ I dont know how true about our northern brothers and sisters , but Confusianism is still deep in our heart in southern China particulary my home village.

Deep like what? Is there Confucian school in your home village? Is young children learning and practicing the teaching everyday?

The communist will not allow it. Just like in Taiwan, it being overwhelmed by democracy, liberalism and human rights.

It will gone soon, very soon.

like all religions

As well as democracy, communism, human rights, etc. It will gone soon in the near future......except that Westerners will not allow it to happen.

Unlike the stupid Chinese, who with a big spirit and happy attitude, destroyed their own culture and moral value. Tsk tsk tsk!

Japan, Korea, and Vietnam never trust China and never get a long for 1000s of years so why now? Is all the sudeen China turn to a choirs boys now ? btw these 3 little countries are not worth it. lol

Back
Top Bottom