What's new

China bans Korean drama during prime time to protect Chinese culture

Korean

BANNED
Reaction score
China drama ban boost to local indies | News | C21Media

China drama ban boost to local indies

China’s recent moves to reduce the amount of foreign drama on-air will leave producers in Korea and Japan hardest hit while providing a boost to the local indie sector, according to one Chinese distributor.

The ruling laid down by China’s State Administration of Radio, Film & Television (SARFT) states that overseas dramas can now be no longer than 50 episodes and cannot air in primetime between 19.00 and 22.00. Imported series should also not exceed more than 25% of a channel’s overall output each day.

“The most popular dramas in terms of imported series, are Korean, then Japanese,” she told C21. “Korean drama has always been very popular in China because of the similarity of culture and history. It’s mainly historic and family drama that is particularly popular in China.

Regarding western drama series, she said: “Unless they’re highly action-packed, such as Prison Break, they actually don’t have a huge following in China and aren’t shown on mainstream television channels. They’re all available in DVD box-sets and it’s quite cheap to get them but they don’t have mainstream popularity as they do in Western culture.”

However, while drama acquisitions in China will be reduced by the new regulations, they are also are designed to see more Chinese-originated content get on air.

I guess its Chinese lost... I actually like Korean drama series. :)

I always loved Korean dramas... There was a series called Emperor of the Seas (this is how it was translated to Turkish) about a slave, a prite and a princess...

Former slave than emporer was in love with this former royality and the pirate captain too was in love with this princess... Even though I don't like love triangles, I really liked that series... I loved Il-guk Song, he was my celebrity crush in first years of high school...:azn::yahoo::oops:

overseas dramas can now be no longer than 50 episodes

From what we get in NZ i dont think there is a Korean drama that runs for less that 50 episodes?

Very good news. Our environment bacomes much more clean now. Hope to see more and more Thai dramas on air in China.

Dramas trends come and go. In the early 1990's it was drama from Taiwan, then followed by Japanese fever in late 90's. Early to mid 2000's were the Koreans, but now that's starting to fade. Personally, I find Korean drama series to be retarded (tho I only watched a few episodes). Dumbass housewives love them though, and they're the largest group of TV viewers in China.

When I heard the Korean language from the dramas, I feel disgusting. I like watching US dramas, such as Prison Breaker and Ugly Betty,haha

Korean drama is full of handsome boy and beauty with face-lifting,maybe you will be attracted at the beginning, but after watching more and more Korean drama, I really feel it is retarded,anyway, it's good for China.

When I heard the Korean language from the dramas, I feel disgusting. I like watching US dramas, such as Prison Breaker and Ugly Betty,haha
I recently are watching ”Walking dead“,
American dramas tell wonderful stories :smitten:

7170825606124761866.jpg

There are 3 Korean TV dramas in 2011 China TV dramas Ranking,4,20 and 27.
I hope it will be 0 in 2012 and forever.:pop:

Back
Top Bottom