What's new

China and Vietnam have a shared future and are “comrades and brothers",President Xi Jinping says in Lunar New Year note to fellow communist leader

Asean governments regarded radio broadcasts from China appealing directly to their ethnic Chinese as dangerous subversion. Deng listened silently. He had never seen it this light: China, a big foreign power, going over the governments of the region to subvert their citizens. I said it was most unlikely that Asean countries would respond positively to his proposal for a united front against the Soviet Union and Vietnam and suggested that we discuss on how to resolve this problem. Then I paused.Deng's expression and body language registered consternation. He knew that I had spoken the truth. Abruptly, he asked, "What do you want me to do?" I was astonished. I had never met a communist leader who was prepared to depart from his brief when confronted with reality, much less ask what I wanted him to do. I had expected him to brush my points aside as Premier Hua Guofeng had done in Beijing in 1976 when I pressed him over the inconsistency of China's supporting the Malayan Communist Party to foment revolution in Singapore, not Malaya. Hua had answered with bluster, "I do not know the details, but whenever communists fight, they will win." Not Deng. He realized that he had to face up to this problem if Vietnam was to be isolated. I hesitated to tell this seasoned, weather-beaten revolutionary what he should do, but since he had asked me, I said, "Stop such radio broadcasts; stop such appeals. It will be better for the ethnic Chinese in Asean if China does not underline their kinship and call upon their ethnic sympathy. The suspicion of the indigenous peoples will always be there, whether or not China emphasizes these blood ties. But if China appeals to these blood ties so blatantly, it must increase their suspicions, China must stop radio broadcasts from south China by the Malayan and Indonesian Communist Parties.
Yes, the past China, due to Mao's foolish ideological fanaticism with communism(a foreign ideology not Chinese for that matter) and trying to export his version of communist revolution to the region, led to China having lots of issues with its neighbours and ethnic Chinese in Asia who fled CCP China to ASEAN countries to be viewed with suspicion by their new host countries, and even culminating in Indonesia with the massacres of ethnic Indonesian Chinese who were regarded as being suspicious communist Chinese fifth column to overthrow the government. So innocent hard working ethnic Chinese people in Asia did suffer from that silly CCP policy .
Luckily for China Deng Xiaoping who had always been a pragmatic and rational leader(not an ideological one) took power after Mao's passing and changed all those silly policies.
As i said , Deng really saved China and the CCP as well, without Deng, China would have gone into a totally different direction(carried on with its maoist policies since maoist would have kept power) and missed again the second industrial revolution/globalisation and all the subsequent benefits that came with that. The country would have been in a totally different position today. Probably still poor and isolated like North Korea. They were lucky to have a leader like Deng at the right time (U.S vs Soviet rivalry) thus US favouring China and facilitating the country's entry into the global economy etc.

Funny enough Russia is acting in a similar way by engaging in propaganda to continously influence ethnic Russians in their neighbourhood to focus on their Russian origins and thus influence them to take control of their respective countries and be favourable to Russia, or outright create new states. This can be seen with their involvement in Georgia war and invasion, carving out a quasi new state to protect "ethnic Russians " in Georgia. Lol Same with their invasion and carving out out of Crimea to Russia, subsequent full on invasion of Ukraine to again " protect ethnic Ukrainian Russians " from Ukraine . Lol That's without counting similar propaganda and military involvements in Bosnia where they have intervened militarily to "protect ethnic bosnian Russians " there as well forming a quasi independent state. Etc etc. There are many others like those. Lol
In short, if you are a country, then you better make sure you dont have much Russians living in your country, but this is only if you are a relatively weak country and not a major power. Else you will be prone to Russian propaganda and even military involvement to protect those "ethnic Russians" one day. 😂
So thats a similar policy Mao's China had in the past, which they rightfully abandoned with Deng coming to power and setting a new direction for the country which subsequent CCP leaders have followed.

Sure, such petty actions are definitely justified because the Chinese are insecure of the Koreans are stealing their culture lmao.

Ive heard alot about this issue. What is it all about? Lol They are now arguing over new year as well? 😆 Seriously some people can be really emotional. who even does this? 😆 who cares? Just celebrate with your familly and enjoy your life, except they want to be political then it makes sense. If not who cares? This is so childish. 😆

Last edited:
As i said , Deng really saved China and the CCP as well, without Deng, China would have gone into a totally different direction(carried on with its maoist policies since maoist would have kept power) and missed again the second industrial revolution/globalisation and all the subsequent benefits that came with that. The country would have been in a totally different position today. Probably still poor and isolated like North Korea. They were lucky to have a leader like Deng at the right time (U.S vs Soviet rivalry) thus US favouring China and facilitating the country's entry into the global economy etc.
I actually agree with this part, I m a Dengist, not Maoist. but in this case I admit I belong to the minority in China.

I actually agree with this part, I m a Dengist, not Maoist. but in this case I admit I belong to the minority in China.
Well, I think it's normal . People tend to forget the past easily. Especially when they already live a fairly decent life. In fact funny enough, this even makes people tend to start having ideological leanings and yearnings for a past they themselves never lived or witnessed. So they romanticised it and paint this heavenly rosy ideological picture in their mind . Especially when they dont see any of that nowadays with growing wealth and less ideology or something to be believe in.
So it's normal some people will glorify that era of real communism, constant revolutions(like Mao put it), equality for all(more like everybody should be poor equally. Lol), and collective production/wealth. Etc. Its mostly the younger generation who will have such leanings, since the old generation of Xi Jinpings father and Xi Jinpings era themselves know what their father and they themselves as youths back then went through and what that ideology brought them. So they won't want that back ever.
But yeah there are people who like ideologising and romantising what they dont know about and hoping for a past they never lived themselves. Lol
But yeah I agree Deng should be even more regarded than Mao. (Mao should have left power after he manage to bring CCP to power and stabilised the country. But as always, absolute power is addictive as i said before. So nobody wants to leave when they have it. Lol ) since without him, i'm not sure how long CCP would have lasted to this day, or even if they did it would have been in a far more weakened state of isolating China and its people even more from the world like North Korea, to keep power. In short, after their fall, Chinese people would have remembered them in history as just another foriegn ideology that set them back from development.

Similarly if tomorrow by some miracle someone more rational and less ideological/radical seized power in North Korea and open up the country, encouraged investments from the West/Asia and modernised like Deng did for China and Vietnamese leaders did for Vietnam after , then you can bet that a few decades from then when North Korea is as developed and wealthy like South Korea today then there will also be some young north Koreans who will start romantising and dreaming of a past north Korea where the people had "good beliefs, intergrity, fairness, equality(in poverty)" and something to believe on (Kim ideology) while decrying the current state of depravity and money worship their country will be in..lol😆 There are always people like that.. 😆

Ive heard alot about this issue. What is it all about? Lol They are now arguing over new year as well? 😆 Seriously some people can be really emotional. who even does this? 😆 who cares? Just celebrate with your familly and enjoy your life, except they want to be political then it makes sense. If not who cares? This is so childish. 😆
Funny enough Russia is acting in a similar way by engaging in propaganda to continously influence ethnic Russians in their neighbourhood to focus on their Russian origins

Some of them are hyper nationalistic and glass-hearted. Like just look at post #91, that poster getting all mad because I didn't 'defend Chinese culture' (his words lol) when I pointed out that it is bad taste to argue over Lunar New Year/Chinese New Year, what's more committing vandalism over it.

If you're ethnic Chinese but not from China, some of them will get butthurt and flame you if you claim other country as your nationality (implying that you don't swear your loyalty to China, well duh). I've experienced it before on Chinese social media, and I've also seen it happening numerous times to Singaporean/Malaysian celebrities like JJ Lin or Fish Leong.

How to start a diss war online and piss off other countries:

collage-3-4.jpg.webp

The “Piano Goddess”, like many others, has recently been updating her followers about her Chinese New Year celebration. However, an unexpected hiccup cropped up when someone took the opportunity to insult Malaysia. Cathryn then shared the interaction on her socials. “I got (scolded) when I said I am not Chinese but (am a) Malaysian,” she said.

Beneath her words, she shared a screenshot of a comment she had received. “Are you proud to be a Malaysian?” the netizen demanded. To be honest, most Chinese people think that Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam and Thailand are really poor and backwards. People travel there only because it’s cheap! What are you third-class citizens proud of?

Korean Chinese identify themselves with China , not Korea, so it's natural those overseas China identify with their adopted countries, I never doubt about it.

Home countries*

We are born and bred in our countries, not new immigrants changing their citizenship.

Again he still thinks everything in world history has happened in the last 20 years due to China's recent modernization and outgoing tourism.

Again he still thinks everything in world history has happened in the last 20 years due to China's recent modernization and outgoing tourism.
No, I m a history buff and every Chinese has to learn China's thousands of years of history from kingdergarten to college, easy job for you since US has just been around for less than 300 years.

No, I m a history buff and every Chinese has to learn China's thousands of years of history from kingdergarten to college, easy job for you since US has just been around for less than 300 years.

LOL! Well apparently you think everybody who is ethnic Chinese and living in another country is just on a temporary loan plan.

Funny enough Russia is acting in a similar way by engaging in propaganda to continously influence ethnic Russians in their neighbourhood...
That should tell everyone that race/ethnic is still a compelling influence all over the world, and one that countries will not hesitate to exploit, if at least to create internal confusion if not an outright combat force. Japanese-Americans in WW II, for example.

Cultural appropriation is a sensitive topic for many, especially so in the west, except when it comes to China I guess.

Yes, the past China, due to Mao's foolish ideological fanaticism with communism(a foreign ideology not Chinese for that matter) and trying to export his version of communist revolution to the region, led to China having lots of issues with its neighbours and ethnic Chinese in Asia who fled CCP China to ASEAN countries to be viewed with suspicion by their new host countries, and even culminating in Indonesia with the massacres of ethnic Indonesian Chinese who were regarded as being suspicious communist Chinese fifth column to overthrow the government. So innocent hard working ethnic Chinese people in Asia did suffer from that silly CCP policy .
Luckily for China Deng Xiaoping who had always been a pragmatic and rational leader(not an ideological one) took power after Mao's passing and changed all those silly policies.

Funny enough Russia is acting in a similar way by engaging in propaganda to continously influence ethnic Russians in their neighbourhood to focus on their Russian origins and thus influence them to take control of their respective countries and be favourable to Russia, or outright create new states. This can be seen with their involvement in Georgia war and invasion, carving out a quasi new state to protect "ethnic Russians " in Georgia. Lol Same with their invasion and carving out out of Crimea to Russia, subsequent full on invasion of Ukraine to again " protect ethnic Ukrainian Russians " from Ukraine . Lol That's without counting similar propaganda and military involvements in Bosnia where they have intervened militarily to "protect ethnic bosnian Russians " there as well forming a quasi independent state. Etc etc. There are many others like those. Lol
In short, if you are a country, then you better make sure you dont have much Russians living in your country, but this is only if you are a relatively weak country and not a major power. Else you will be prone to Russian propaganda and even military involvement to protect those "ethnic Russians" one day. 😂
So thats a similar policy Mao's China had in the past, which they rightfully abandoned with Deng coming to power and setting a new direction for the country which subsequent CCP leaders have followed.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Home countries*

We are born and bred in our countries, not new immigrants changing their citizenship.
Don't worry about being confused as Chinese. The Xiongnu had Han working for them after all, yet Huo Qubing did not confuse them for Chinese.

华夏入夷狄则夷狄之,夷狄入华夏则华夏之。

Back
Top Bottom