What's new

Chandrayaan-2: India to go it alone

MIP was not on a mission to find water traces on the Moon surface!

Now tell me you with above instruments on board, how would you find the water particles on the surface?

LOL I wouldn't bother replying to these guys with medical degrees, its bit beyond their capabilities. They are probably taught its not the instrument that maters, its the person behind the instrument. If give them some more time they will claim to be able to find water particles with a scalpel.

Why Indian members are entertaining this newbie troll ? Please stay on topic and discuss the issue.

I think one point we are missing out is that the stated agreement was signed in 2007. Obviously, India had so much to learn back then. The lander as well as the moon probe, among other things were supposed to be helped out by Russia. But with the successful Chandrayan-I, today, India is well and truly capable to atleast have a sincere try to master the tech of the lander ans well as the other sensors that were previously supposed to be sourced from outside.

MIP was not on a mission to find water traces on the Moon surface!

Now tell me you with above instruments on board, how would you find the water particles on the surface?

Buddy, i never said that it was MIP that discovered water on moon but acted as a facilitator/complimentary to M3, this is from ISRO's website:

Chandrayaan-1, India’s first mission to Moon, was launched with the prime objective of finding traces of water on the lunar surface besides mapping minerals and chemicals on the Moon. Towards this, a host of sophisticated instruments were included in Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft, like Moon Impact Probe (MIP) and Hyper-Spectral Imager (HySI) from ISRO as well as Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) and Miniature Synthetic Aperture Radar (Mini-SAR) through NASA to collect relevant data from the lunar surface. During the mission, excellent quality of data from all these instruments has been obtained. While M3 has covered nearly 97% of the lunar surface, some of the other instruments have covered more than 90%.

A path-breaking finding has evolved recently from the detailed analysis of the data obtained from M3, which has clearly indicated the presence of water molecules on the lunar surface extending from lunar poles to about 60 deg. Latitude. Hydroxyl, a molecule consisting of one oxygen atom and one hydrogen atom, was also found in the lunar soil. The confirmation of water molecules and hydroxyl molecule in the moon's polar regions raises new questions about its origin and its effect on the mineralogy of the moon.

M3 measures the intensity of reflected sunlight from the lunar surface at infrared wavelengths, splitting the spectral colours of the lunar surface into small enough bits revealing finer details of the lunar surface composition. This enabled identification of the presence of various minerals on the lunar surface that have characteristic spectral signature at specific wavelengths. Since reflection of sunlight occurs near the moon’s surface, such studies provide information on the mineral composition of the top crust of a few millimeters of the lunar surface. The Indian instrument HySI, that covers the wavelength region 0.4 to 0.9 micron, also provided additional data in this regard that helped in better understanding of moon’s mineral composition.

The findings from M3 onboard Chandrayaan-1 clearly shows a marked signature in the infrared region of 2.7 to 3.2 micron in the absorption spectrum, which provided a clear indication of the presence of hydroxyl and water molecules.

The scientific team, after detailed analysis, has come to the conclusion that there are traces of hydroxyl (OH) and water (H2O) molecules on the surface of the moon closer to the polar region. It is also concluded that they are in the form of a thin layer embedded in rocks and chemical compounds on the surface of the moon and the quantity is also extremely small of the order of about 700 ppm. These molecules could have come from the impact of comets or radiation from the sun. But most probable source could be low energy hydrogen carried by solar wind impacting on the minerals on lunar surface. This in turn forms OH or H2O molecules by deriving the oxygen from metal oxide.

Following these findings, the scientific team revisited the data from NASA’s Deep Impact Mission launched in 2005 which carried an instrument similar to M3. Deep Impact Probe observed the moon during the period June 2 and 9, 2009. This, along with some laboratory tests carried out from samples brought from Apollo missions, has confirmed that the signature is genuine and there is a thin layer of surface mineral which contains traces of hydroxyl and water molecules.

The M3 observations are further strengthened by results obtained from the analysis of archived data of lunar observation in 1999 by another NASA Mission, Cassini, on its way to Saturn. This data set also revealed clear signatures of both OH and H2O absorption features on the lunar surface.

The analysis of the huge volume of M3 data was carried out by a joint team of scientists from US and India. The lead role was taken up by Dr.Carle Pieters, Principal Investigator from Brown University, USA and Prof. J N Goswami, Principal Scientist, Chandrayaan-1 from Physical Research Laboratory of India`s Department of Space. The findings were published in Sciencexpress in its September 24, 2009 edition (Slides provided by ISRO to media ).

Analysis of data from other instruments on board Chandrayaan-1 is in progress.

Welcome To ISRO :: News

LOL I wouldn't bother replying to these guys with medical degrees, its bit beyond their capabilities. They are probably taught its not the instrument that maters, its the person behind the instrument. If give them some more time they will claim to be able to find water particles with a scalpel.

Err... hmm.. lets see..... you wouldn't bother to reply these guys and your way of avoiding it is ..... to.... reply to these guys like the above post? :cheesy: Genius!

stay on topic. im just stating facts. gslv has the worst record of all of India's space launchers. why would anyone want to take risk with this kind of high prestige project? lol

The launch is due in 2015, by that time all the issues with GSLV will be iron out. If you can think that it is not to launch it with GSLV right now, I am sure ISRO scientists might have thought about it !!

Yet it fails we launch it again :tup:

Soft landing of rover is very difficult task. Precise control of landing thrustes and then deployment of solar panales need very high level of skills. 2015 for me seems to be very optimistic for landing rover. We need to master every aspact of soft landing which takes time.

I think India should consult NASA for rover design and landing. They are doing to for decades.

If you want to learn, learn from the best.

thats the way he should be following buddy.....if they cant achieve something he just have to learn or be polite ....thats how things work....he should get it or make him get it...

true.i read his posts.i disagree with him too.

but if u reply in this way ultimately the mods will target you and not him.

so i suggest you leave him alone.
best of luck mate.

gotta slp now.:wave::lazy2::lazy2:

For people who are still in doubt .....

Did India beat NASA to find water on moon?

India's dial of excitement has been turned up a notch.

India's proud space agency, ISRO, went on record on Friday to share that not only have they found water on the moon, but they found it first. A full three months ahead of NASA, to be exact.

"The moon impact probe when it was descending down, it has picked up signatures of water on the moon as it travelled from the lunar equator to the pole," beams Dr G Madhavan Nair, Chairman, ISRO.

Here's what happened. In November last year, within a few days of Chandrayaan reaching the orbit of the moon, a special device called a Moon Impact Probe detached itself from the mother ship. The probe, which is the size of a computer monitor, plunged towards to the lunar surface, beaming back the first chemical signatures of water on the moon. It then crashed on the lunar surface, as it was designed to do, and landed near the Shakleton crater, the spot now renamed as the Jawahar Point as this feat was completed on the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.

NASA's Moon Mineralogy Mapper found its first traces of water in February.

ISRO's India-First statement will remain a claim till the findings are published.

Did India beat NASA to find water on moon? | NDTV.com

Actually NASA found the water on the moon, I read the article. India did not make any analysis, India just supplied the payload. All the analysis was done by NASA, hence why it reads NASA found water on the moon with contribution from India.

WTF? **** confirmed

For people who are still in doubt .....

Did India beat NASA to find water on moon?

India's dial of excitement has been turned up a notch.

India's proud space agency, ISRO, went on record on Friday to share that not only have they found water on the moon, but they found it first. A full three months ahead of NASA, to be exact.

"The moon impact probe when it was descending down, it has picked up signatures of water on the moon as it travelled from the lunar equator to the pole," beams Dr G Madhavan Nair, Chairman, ISRO.

Here's what happened. In November last year, within a few days of Chandrayaan reaching the orbit of the moon, a special device called a Moon Impact Probe detached itself from the mother ship. The probe, which is the size of a computer monitor, plunged towards to the lunar surface, beaming back the first chemical signatures of water on the moon. It then crashed on the lunar surface, as it was designed to do, and landed near the Shakleton crater, the spot now renamed as the Jawahar Point as this feat was completed on the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.

NASA's Moon Mineralogy Mapper found its first traces of water in February.

ISRO's India-First statement will remain a claim till the findings are published.

Did India beat NASA to find water on moon? | NDTV.com

How can the MIP find traces of water? with what equipment? If they did, they would have announced it before NASA did. Also your claim is that it found traces during its delivery not on the surface.

yes buddy...already...they gave me a warning.....thanks for the advice....see you again buddy..
true.i read his posts.i disagree with him too.

but if u reply in this way ultimately the mods will target you and not him.

so i suggest you leave him alone.
best of luck mate.

gotta slp now.:wave::lazy2::lazy2:

Moon Mineralogy Mapper(MP3) of India's first found water molecules in Moon's Polar region and after that s Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, or LCROSS of NASA found water vapour.

The Moon Mineralogy Mapper is one of two instruments that NASA contributed to India's first mission to the Moon, Chandrayaan-1, launched October 22, 2008

Your post confirmed that NASA found water, and India had no contribution to it besides logistical nature.

How can the MIP find traces of water? with what equipment? If they did, they would have announced it before NASA did. Also your claim is that it found traces during its delivery not on the surface.

As somebody posted earlier MIP had three instruments with it - a video camera, a radar altimeter and a mass spectrometer.Anuone of the instrument could have picked up the signature.

As for making the announcement , there was a protocol to be followed .
@KRAIT has the link ........Please post it for the sinhala guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom