What's new

Chandrayaan-2: India to go it alone

As somebody posted earlier MIP had three instruments with it - a video camera, a radar altimeter and a mass spectrometer.Anuone of the instrument could have picked up the signature.

As for making the announcement , there was a protocol to be followed .
@KRAIT has the link ........Please post it for the sinhala guy.

Tell me how those instruments could have established poof for water on the Luna surface?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your the one making the claim India found water on the Luna surface lol

Majority of instruments,satellite links, mission execution,money and launch vehicle are India's and even NASA never said it alone found water on moon.

Then we have Srilankan saying India did nothing :lol::lol::lol:

Sour grapes isn't it????????

The missions which are planned by ISRO within a decade like moon landing, Mars mission and etc.
India will be in top 3 and becomes a space power.

I can only post what ISRO releases .

And I never knew you were smarter than Indian space scientists .

May be srilanka should start a space organisation with you as the head ........lol

Tell me how those instruments could have established poof for water on the Luna surface?

Water was discovered in its vapour phase by the CHACE (Chandra’s Altitudinal Composition Explorer) payload on board the Moon Impact Probe (MIP) and complementarily in its solid phase by the Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) payload on board the main orbiter in the Chandrayaan I mission.

Chandra's Altitudinal Composition Explorer (CHACE), a mass spectrometer. CHACE gathered a total of 650 mass spectra during the 45 minutes that it operated, from 20 minutes before probe release until 15:01 UTC. During the descent, the Moon Impact Probe flew from north to south, eventually impacting the Moon near the south pole and the crater Shackleton.

PS: When you are refuting a claim, the onus lies on you to refute it with logic. Not with silly one-liners.

Malgudi has provided you the proof .......Here is some more .

It gifted the answer to the millennia-old question whether water is there in Earth’s moon when it led to the discovery of water in its vapour phase by the CHACE (CHandra’s Altitudinal Composition Explorer) payload on board the Moon Impact Probe (MIP) and complementarily in its solid phase by the Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) payload on board the main orbiter in the Chandrayaan I mission. This ‘discovery-class-of-finding’ by CHACE was achieved by direct in situ measurement of the lunar atmosphere during the descend journey of the MIP to the Lunar South Pole, while M3 discovered water in ice form by remote sensing techniques. As water cannot retain its liquid phase in the lunar environment because of its own vapour pressure and the ultra-high vacuum prevailing there, it can be found in solid (ice) and gaseous (vapour) phases. While the Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3), a payload by NASA, on board Chandrayaan I lunar orbiter has detected, by mapping almost 97% of the lunar surface using remote sensing techniques, the presence of water in ice form in higher latitudes especially in the polar caps, the CHACE payload in the lunar impactor (MIP) has directly detected water in its gaseous form along 14 degree E meridian from 45 degree N to 90 degree S latitude, with a latitudinal resolution of around 0.10 and altitudinal resolution of ~ 250 m from 98 km altitude till impact .

Moon Impact Probe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS: When you are refuting a claim, the onus lies on you to refute it with logic. Not with silly one-liners.

I tried opening the scientific publication however its telling me file not found. http://lunarscience.arc.nasa.gov/files/MIP.pdf

Majority of instruments,satellite links, mission execution,money and launch vehicle are India's and even NASA never said it alone found water on moon.

Then we have Srilankan saying India did nothing :lol::lol::lol:

Sour grapes isn't it????????

The missions which are planned by ISRO within a decade like moon landing, Mars mission and etc.
India will be in top 3 and becomes a space power.

You can always keep dreaming, I'm not going stop you.

Unlike India, SL's space industry is completely privatized has no government involvement and are profit making entities. I'm pretty sure ISRO has been running negative ever since its creations.

While your government dwindles with an inferiority complex, SL corporations are returning profit from your own industries careless investment decisions. http://www.supremesat.com/index.php

Sri lanka does things out of a reasoned thought process, not for 'water finding achievements' lol

Water was discovered in its vapour phase by the CHACE (Chandra’s Altitudinal Composition Explorer) payload on board the Moon Impact Probe (MIP) and complementarily in its solid phase by the Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) payload on board the main orbiter in the Chandrayaan I mission.

Chandra's Altitudinal Composition Explorer (CHACE), a mass spectrometer. CHACE gathered a total of 650 mass spectra during the 45 minutes that it operated, from 20 minutes before probe release until 15:01 UTC. During the descent, the Moon Impact Probe flew from north to south, eventually impacting the Moon near the south pole and the crater Shackleton.

The subject here is lunar water (water on lunar surface) and not in its atmosphere.
The WIKI came handy to you, but you have to do more on this.

On September 24, 2009, the Science Magazine reported that NASA's Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) on Chandrayaan-1 had detected water on the moon. M3 detected absorption features near 2.8-3.0 µm on the surface of the Moon.

I tried opening the scientific publication however its telling me file not found. http://lunarscience.arc.nasa.gov/files/MIP.pdf

You can always keep dreaming, I'm not going stop you.

Unlike India, SL's space industry is completely privatized has no government involvement and are profit making entities. I'm pretty sure ISRO has been running negative ever since its creations.

Direct detection of water in its vapor phase in the tenuous lunar environment was made through in situ measurements carried out by the Chandra’s Altitudinal Composition Explorer (CHACE) payload, onboard the Moon Impact Probe (MIP) of the Chandrayaan I mission. This discovery vindicates the presence of water on the surface of the moon in the form of ice at higher lunar latitudes inferred from IR absorption spectroscopy, (especially that of OH), by the Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3) of Chandrayaan I. The quadrupole mass spectrometer based payload, CHACE, sampled the lunar neutral atmosphere every four seconds with a broad latitudinal (~40 degrees N to 90 degrees S, with a resolution of ~0.1 degree) and altitudinal (from 98 km up to impact on the lunar surface with a resolution of ~0.25 km) coverage in the sunlit side of the moon for the first time. these two (CHACE and M3) complementary experiments are shown to collectively provide unambiguous signatures for the distribution of water in solid and gaseous phases in Earth’s moon.

‘Direct’ evidence for water (H2O) on the moon | NASA Lunar Science Institute

MIP+after+Separation.jpg

above spectrum shows spikes at 17, 18, 28 and 44 amus detailing the various content of the lunar atmosphere. 18 is water, 28 is nitrogen and 44 is carbon dioxide

chandrayaan-mip-descent-map-ps_med.jpg

The Chandrayaan-1 Moon Impact Probe carried three instruments, one of which was a camera. Because the Probe spun as it descended, the camera images also rotated, making it something of a challenge to mosaic the images. This mosaic was created by space geographer Phil Stooke by grabbing frames from a video of descent images and overlaying them on a Clementine mosaic.
http://parallelspirals.blogspot.in/2010/03/mip-impact-and-results-in-pictures.html

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2010/2430.html

c'mon, lets be real here. without nasa instruments to analyze indians will never ever know that they hit water just like all previous probes done by nasa and others before without the new sensors. i've read the first wave of articles that just came after india declared success. indian scientists had no clue. there was no mention of water, until nasa informed them and then indians start claiming credit. :lol:

c'mon, lets be real here. without nasa instruments to analyze indians will never ever know that they hit water just like all previous probes done by nasa and others before without the new sensors. i've read the first wave of articles that just came after india declared success. indian scientists had no clue. there was no mention of water, until nasa informed them and then indians start claiming credit. :lol:

Well buddy , ISRO is dumb, how can dumb people send the Mission at first place when they cant tell data and analysie it.

In fact NASA , sending those many mission on moon and cannot find water , what make Indian mission so special? Indian tell Nasa , they find water , Confirm it , which they did.

It only Dumb to sense that.

From this link above:

As the MIP was landing, it took some pictures that indicated the water molecules eventually found by M3.''

My friends Indication is no discovery as for as science works, and more, the article clearly says the following:

eventually FOUND by M3.

The article never said, FOUND by India/MIP, but concludes that M3 FOUND it.

So its joint Indo US effort and not India alone.
I give credit where it is due sans Jingoism or the likes....

Back
Top Bottom