What's new

Career Advice !

sorry mate i know nothing in account and finance but i would go for the one that gonna make me rich:rofl:

Sorry dude, can't help you in this field. If you can make it work in Pakistan then i say stick with it.

There is no place like home. !!

Hey guys, Armstrong here ! I'm in a bit of a conundrum so please help me out. First I think some background is in order : I'm currently doing ACCA (I should be, hopefully, done by December this year).

Now the way I see it I've got two options in front of me :

1) I either continue on with the Chartered Accountancy path and go for ICAP's CA (Pakistan's CA) or obtain exemptions for the ICAEW (I'm exempted from 13 of 15 papers) and then go for the mandatory 3 year work-experience with an audit firm; I've got an offer from Grant Thornton Pakistan on the table right now ! If I pursue this stream I can try for other audit firms in June of next year as well !

2) Or instead I go for the CFA charter after the ACCA and try to make a career out of investment related finance ! Actually I'd much rather prefer this over accounting, audit etc. and I'd love to end up as a buy-side analyst at some Mutual Fund in a few years time but the problem with this stream is that I dunno if the job scope for CFAs is all that great in Pakistan right now because for obvious reasons Pakistan isn't entirely an investment friendly country right now ! And the people I've talked to haven't given me a definitive answer on 'a CFA's job prospects either' so I'm seriously confused !

So guys do I risk it and go for the CFA route or should I instead play it safe and stick with Chartered Accountancy !

P.S I prefer finance and that too investment finance considerably more than audit, accounting, tax etc. !

P.P.S I'd prefer not leaving the country or my city - Lahore, Pakistan !

So any suggestions...recommendations ? Any thoughts...anything please do share ! Because I'm seriously confused right now - Should I play it safe or risk it for something I like a lot more ?

I'd appreciate a response !

Regards,

Armstrong

dont you think teaching would be a better option? just see how teacher at SKAN and that newly opened other institute are being paid?

by the way I neither like Accounting nor Finance :D but still as far as I have heard CFA pays off.

unless in audit side you are able to join some multinational company like earnest and young etc.

Well man, I would have loved to advise you, but problem is, I am not really into the whole economic thing you know. I hate economics.

all i know and have seen is the CA guys doing real well ... i will say pursue CA .. good luck :tup:

In a nutshell...

The CA profession deals with accountancy and tax laws. CAs tend to be sober as they focus on past sales performance of businesses.

CFA profession on the other hand deals with finance rules worldwide. It is an international career. And unlike their CA counterparts, CFAs tend to be cheerful as they focus on future sales performance of businesses!

While a CA is a prerequisite in all sorts of establishments, CFA’s are more likely to be absorbed in large companies in financial sector. While a CA is mainly concerned with book keeping and auditing, CFA’s have ample job opportunities as their expertise is required by corporations while making financial decisions.

However, despite the fact that CFA’s get more salary and get absorbed in different financial positions, the demand for CA’s is never going to be low as they are essential for every company, small or big.

Therefore:

If you want a job guarantee, CA is the choice.
If you want a high-growth career, CFA is the choice.

All the best! Cheers! :cheers:

Dude - I know one rule, greater risk = greater reward

But, As you prefer to stay in Lahore than

1) If your dad have healthy bank balance than sure go for CFA, But keep in mind mostly CA, ACCA & MBA's are working on analyst job in Pakistan. So, the salaries and benefits will be according to market norm.
2) Otherwise go for CA first and secure job, as you are very well aware the investment sector is not doing well these days and it will require few years to get out of sh!t and more over most of financial sector is based in Karachi (So, You move to Karachi or UAE makes no difference, infect UAE more near to Lahore if you account for the factor of local airliners). You can easily manage CFA with Job and switch over whenever you get good opportunity or can continue with accounting job if you are satisfied.

Whoever told you that employer will think that you are confused person if you do CA+CFA than he/she probably is of old mindset. Today's employers prefer diversification in skills and it's a mega plus. I have done MBA (Finance & Marketing) but my graduation is in Computer Sciences.

Back
Top Bottom