What's new

Career Advice !

I asked one of the named partners of Grant Thornton Pakistan and he recommended going for ACCA so that if I ever wanted to decide to jump ship I could - a little like now ! Pakistan's CA on the other hand is a pretty tough nut to crack and it takes well over 5-7 years to complete it which means that you're stuck with it for better or for worse !

P.S I'm weighing my options - CA (or ICAEW) or CFA ! Or as Jade said - Both would be a good combo too !

You poise yourself very well.

If there is only 2 papers to get Pakistani CA out of 15 due to exemptions, then go for it. Go for 3 year articleship and do CFA long with it. In India, CFA+CA cannot be done together ( as there was some legal issues, I do not know it is applicable now.)

If you get an MBA from a good institution..thats the best...an ACCA+MBA from a good institute is the best.

If you successfully complete your CA, you will be in great demand.

So i'd say, complete your CA. It ain't easy.

CFA is something you can do later on. As it is self study, i know a lot of my friends who graduated from IBA/LUMS as BBA graduates and they are now doing it. Most have cleared level 1 of CFA.

So i'd say, first complete your CA. That alone will get you a job.

Then look for CFA.

I am an engineering student BTW :P :P

My cousin's son has done CA and he earns more than 500,000 PKR a month and he is in his late 20s not even 30 yet.
CA is a good route to go for..As far as Investment finance is concerned and you want to take risk..Look into being a stock broker / Analyst..They are always in Demand and make good money.
I have been doing Forex trading and i loved it.I did it privately on my own..that too is worth looking into ..although thats not a qualification, just a skill in which you go by your gut feeling.

Thanks guys for taking out the time, I deeply...deeply appreciate it !

I think I'm going to stick with the ACCA-ICAEW/CA route and then maybe later on when I've entered the job market and stayed there for a few years I can better judge where I'd like to take my career to ! So thanks...!

I have accountant friends and all I know is CA is more in demand than ACCA. ACCA is falling now, and CA is preferred more.
I personally advice you to do the first one, as it seems safer. :)

I may not know much, but from what my friends have told me and what you have posted, option 1 seems better. :)
Good luck, La Ilaha Illa Anta Subhanaka Inni Kuntu Minazalimeen.

I agree with what Jade said earlier.

Finish your CA program then you can move on to your CFA. And remember that this is a competitive field so be on your best!

Investment related finance sounds very interesting. How many years of experience in accounting/auditing do you have (curious)

I agree with what Jade said earlier.

Finish your CA program then you can move on to your CFA. And remember that this is a competitive field so be on your best!

Investment related finance sounds very interesting. How many years of experience in accounting/auditing do you have (curious)

Barring the odd internships - Nil ! Like I said in the OP I'm still doing ACCA right now and if I persevere with this track (chartered accountancy) I'd begin another audit internship this June-Sep and then finally join an audit firm around Jan/Feb of next year ! If on the other-hand I'd like to switch to 'investment finance' I'd apply for an internship at UBL fund managers this Summers leading up til December and then go for their Junior Analyst trainee program in Jan/Feb of next year !

Isn't everything about safarash in Pakistan? You know the right people and they can help you get a good job?

I think you should continue with your program, make contacts in high places who can help you later down the road because Pakistan's population is growing and soon you will see competition everywhere in every field.

Isn't everything about safarash in Pakistan? You know the right people and they can help you get a good job?

I think you should continue with your program, make contacts in high places who can help you later down the road because Pakistan's population is growing and soon you will see competition everywhere in every field.
And you abuse Zardari for being corrupt?

Thanks guys for taking out the time, I deeply...deeply appreciate it !

I think I'm going to stick with the ACCA-ICAEW/CA route and then maybe later on when I've entered the job market and stayed there for a few years I can better judge where I'd like to take my career to ! So thanks...!

The only problem with route is internship period + time. And you know ppl tend to join audit/accounting jobs after completing CA 3-5 years later. Guys used to reach 27-28 years of age by finishing CAs and then comes for family pressure for earning. So they immediately join accounting / auditing jobs. Also they have to face off with Finance MBAs for investment jobs who will present themselves well in interviews as compared to CAs who only get training for academical stuff and passing the exams unlike MBAs who get good training for everything and very confident. So companies prefer 22-24 year old MBAs than 27-28 yr old CAs.

Just keep in mind.

Well, my cousin's done CA and he's earning pretty well. That's the best I can give, will ask him about the other course you mentioned

Well, one of my relatives is a CA, and the thing i have noticed is, that every company needs a CA. ANd there is demand for them, anda healthy wad of cash as well!

Hello dear,
if you are sure about the point that someone advised you that combination of CA and CFA is not good, and you sure about the background of the person who advised you is good, then fine because as far as i am concerned, CA and a supporting CFA are in demand as of now. as mentioned above, CA are also into all sorts of things from accounting, auditing and investment management. so CFA supporting you CA is good.
however, if you are certain to chose between these, i have just talked to someone from this field and he prefer CA.

as for my personal opinion, bas kar yaar, parh parh ka marna ha kya?? ACCA kro mazay kro
:D
regards!

Back
Top Bottom