What's new

Can Indian cinema go global?

Buddy we Indians are not that bad,we sure know how to keep our critics in place.

Just to begin with have you heard of SATYAJIT RAY if you have not please check wikipedia and you would get a fair bit of idea but if you are lazy here we go............

I hope that sure did hurt your chinese ego :p:

I just posted a list of famous German movies and actors/actresses. All of them have won an internationally prestigious award. You have given me one.

You can hardly hurt an ego that does not exist. And my German ego? Take a good look at the two lists that I have posted. Also, take a good look at our sexy cars and technology. Tell me whose ego will be hurt badly. :lol:

Götterdämmerung;2320007 said:
I just posted a list of famous German movies and actors/actresses. All of them have won an internationally prestigious award. You have given me one.

You can hardly hurt an ego that does not exist. And my German ego? Take a good look at the two lists that I have posted. Also, take a good look at our sexy cars and technology. Tell me whose ego will be hurt badly. :lol:

Took a good look. Very nice. Sadly, none of them are chinese.....sorry..

@hello_10 any relation between u and the guy Chinese century?.... We will find that out soon.
By the way bollywood lacks quality.... Movies like 3 idiots are good but its rare.... Bollywood famous for colorful movie and bollywood dance.... But none can match punjabi bhangra dance music.... In america, uk, and most europe night disco clubs indian music famous specialy punjabi bhangra with rap....

Indian did produce some truly remarkable directors, Satyajit Ray is a great example, just as one Indian member had mentioned. But it's also a fact India had little success in the art house cinema (where artistic merits instead of commercial selling power is most important) in the last 30 or 40 years.

You also gorgot to mention Wong Kar Wei who has won numerous European awards for his ultra sexy and stylish movies, e.g. Chunking Express, Fallen Angel and In the Mood for Love.

There was a run on Qipao in Europe after the release of In the mood for Love with Maggie Cheung changing her dress in every scene.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Took a good look. Very nice. Sadly, none of them are chinese.....sorry..

I was talking about German movies. How did the Chinese come into this? Troll much?

How about you Indians? What have you achieved in terms of cinema that is better than the Chinese, not to speak of Germany. :lol:

What you're talking about are German achievements. Why dont you tell us all about chinese achievements instead? Learn to proud of who you are...not who you idealize.

Ask the Chinese, not me! Troll!

Now tell me about your Indian achievements! :lol:

Götterdämmerung;2319955 said:
I did some research and the result is less than meagre.

Have you heard of A R Rehman, Resul Pookutty both won Oscars. 1992 Satyajit Ray was given honorary Oscar before his death.

If you want some more information, I will put some more. I know you are a Chinese that's why it is difficult for you to digest might of Bollywood. Ask Pakistanis about Bollywood, they are enough to Shut your mouths regarding this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you heard of A R Rehman, Resul Pookutty both won Oscars. 1992 Satyajit Ray was given honorary Oscar before his death.

If you want some more information, I will put some more. I know you are a Chinese that's why it is difficult for you to digest might of Bollywood. Ask Pakistanis about Bollywood, they are enough to Shut your mouths regarding this.

Wow, one Oscar after how many thousand Bollywood movies. You guys even have to coin your movie industry after Hollywood. Copycat much, ey.

I know, when you are out of argument, you have to guess the nationality of the poster and try to attack him with that perceived nationality. Pathetic! You have difficulty that your balloon of illusion that is the great might of Bollywood is exploding in front of you. Your movie industry is laughable in comparison to German and even Chinese movie industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hollywood and bollywood now getting together.... Many movies of hollywood now being made in india.... many hollywood actors came in india. Jolia robert, kate winslate, brad pitt, jolie etc etc. List is alot long.... i heard jhonny depp came india secretly for 18 days. He intrested in movie of the best indian hollywood director mira nair's movie Shantaram. Its a movie about a doctor from slum area who turned top gangster.... Movie was stalled due to security reason. Papparazi gave hard time to bodyguard of brad pitt in india. So jhonny depp was worried. So he came secretly in india and met amitabh bachan. even our bollywood songs are getting alot hollywood singers. Akon sung song in hindi, mandy moore, will smith, and the aussie female singer i forgot her name. its on my tongue but forgot the name, also lady gaga intrested in bollywood song and shakira too. While uma therman want to work in indian movie as she half indian and even jhonny depp quarter indian. While our actor irfan khan worked in spiderman movie in which he turned enemy of spiderman. Yes he played a role of evil spiderman.... The list is long.... Hollywood and bollywood are coming together. Even jolie roberts turned hindu because india touched her heart.... The Times of India on Mobile

you delusional indian members just ask yourself how many indian movies release in europe and america in the past six months? the answer is not more than two.

you delusional indian members just ask yourself how many indian movies release in europe and america in the past six months? the answer is not more than two.

I saw the Indian hit movie 3 Idiots recently in an unusual location: a cineplex in Hong Kong. Very rarely do Bollywood flicks make the city's commercial circuit — the conventional wisdom holds that they do not appeal to local audiences. Yet my Sunday morning matinee was 80% filled, mostly with Chinese of all ages. Some took the movie at face value: the zany antics of Indian college kids. But the majority of viewers, it seemed to me, got the universal moral about breaking free from social straitjackets. They laughed when they were meant to, and didn't when they weren't. While the foreign 3 Idiots was a box-office monster, 1911, a China-backed war docudrama starring hometown celebrity Jackie Chan, bombed. Go figure: India 1, China 0.

The ChIndian Century - China's Century — or India's? - TIME

Götterdämmerung;2320060 said:
Wow, one Oscar after how many thousand Bollywood movies. You guys even have to coin your movie industry after Hollywood. Copycat much, ey.

I know, when you are out of argument, you have to guess the nationality of the poster and try to attack him with that perceived nationality. Pathetic! You have difficulty that your balloon of illusion that is the great might of Bollywood is exploding in front of you. Your movie industry is laughable in comparison to German and even Chinese movie industry.

We already have a population of 1.2 Billion plus extra market in Pakistan, Afghanistan, whole of Middle East, South East Asia and Africa. We still like 2.5-3 hours movie with dances and songs, that's our way of entertainment. And we don't need to modify it to songless 1.5 hours movie like a tail wagging dog to get the oscar. simple. Even with This Indian movies have won many awards and it is better than story-less Chinese movies which shows only Kung Fu and nothing else.

Hollywood movies do release in India in Indian languages but their viewership is meagre when compared to Indian movies.

YRF Launches Hollywood Production Firm With Jason Bateman & Olivia Wilde Starrer

Jason-Batemn-Olivia-Wilde-will-star-in-the-first-film-from-YRF-Entertainment.jpg

Uday Chopra has announced the formation of YRF Entertainment, a Hollywood-based production and financing company focused on developing and producing feature films for the U.S. and international marketplace. The company is launched and funded by Yash Raj Films.

Jason Batemn, Olivia Wilde will star in the first film from YRF Entertainment
Jason Bateman, Olivia Wilde and Billy Crudup will star in the first film from YRF Entertainment

Uday Chopra, who will serve as CEO of YRF Entertainment commented, “My family has a deep commitment to making and distributing quality films that entertain and enlighten audiences. I share that passion, as well as a love for American films that I have had since childhood. It is that enthusiasm and my love of the creative process of filmmaking that drove me to start this new venture.”

YRF Entertainment is currently producing and financing The Longest Week, which began shooting last week in New York City. Written and directed by Peter Glanz, the movie stars Jason Bateman, Olivia Wilde, and Billy Crudup. Uday Chopra is producing with Neda Armian.

The comedy tells the story of a bratty “man-child” (Bateman) who still lives with his parents in a chic Manhattan hotel but suddenly finds himself evicted, disinherited and hopelessly in love with his best friend’s heartthrob (Wilde).

Uday tracked down the project after the original financier had to abandon the film and immediately fell in love with the material. He quickly arranged a creative and physical production meeting with Glanz and Armian in Mumbai. After the lengthy meeting, he committed to making the movie, with his business and legal team closing the deal in less than two weeks.

YRF Entertainment is also building a slate of projects that it will actively develop and produce from the ground up. The first project the company will develop is an untitled action/comedy by Dan Ewen (“Opposites Attract”) about two twenty-something’s who run away from their towns to pursue big dreams and become an unlikely but seemingly unstoppable duo after meeting serendipitously.

Yash Raj Films Launches Hollywood Production Firm With Jason Bateman & Olivia Wilde Starrer

India's Yash Raj Films producing Hollywood project 'The Longest Week'

Published Tuesday, Nov 22 2011, 2:01pm EST | By Steven Baker | Add comment
Email this story
Jason Bateman DS Interview

© Digital Spy
India's Yash Raj Films has announced that it is venturing into Hollywood production.

The Mumbai production house, spearheaded by Uday Chopra, is developing its first US project.

The Jason Bateman, Olivia Wilde and Billy Crudup movie is described as a Manhattan-based comedy about a man who falls in love with his best friend's girlfriend.

"YRF is producing its 1st Hollywood movie "The Longest Week"...with @batemanjason @oliviawilde and Billy Crudup (sic)," Chopra posted on Twitter.

He told Deadline: "I grew up watching American films and television, and I wanted to explore it, even though I understand that it is a very competitive business."

The actor-producer said that he will open offices in Los Angeles in January, once filming on the production completes.

Chopra is expected to reprise his role as Ali Khan in the upcoming third installment of the Bollywood series of Dhoom films.

In April, YRF launched a youth division of their company focused on developing new talent.

India's Yash Raj Films producing Hollywood project 'The Longest Week' - Bollywood News - Digital Spy

We already have a population of 1.2 Billion plus extra market in Pakistan, Afghanistan, whole of Middle East, South East Asia and Africa. We still like 2.5-3 hours movie with dances and songs, that's our way of entertainment. And we don't need to modify it to songless 1.5 hours movie like a tail wagging dog to get the oscar. simple. Even with This Indian movies have won many awards and it is better than story-less Chinese movies which shows only Kung Fu and nothing else.

Hollywood movies do release in India in Indian languages but their viewership is meagre when compared to Indian movies.

I have no problems at all with the way how you tell stories, It's your culture and your entertainment. Who am I to judge and decide what you should do? But claiming global success when just a few of your movies have been screened nationwide in Europe, the US or East Asia or awarded prestigious prizes is just crazy.

I think a Chinese forumer just posted a short list of Chinese award winning movies. They were surely awarded for being story-less and only showing Kung Fu. :lol:

I saw the Indian hit movie 3 Idiots recently in an unusual location: a cineplex in Hong Kong. Very rarely do Bollywood flicks make the city's commercial circuit — the conventional wisdom holds that they do not appeal to local audiences. Yet my Sunday morning matinee was 80% filled, mostly with Chinese of all ages. Some took the movie at face value: the zany antics of Indian college kids. But the majority of viewers, it seemed to me, got the universal moral about breaking free from social straitjackets. They laughed when they were meant to, and didn't when they weren't. While the foreign 3 Idiots was a box-office monster, 1911, a China-backed war docudrama starring hometown celebrity Jackie Chan, bombed. Go figure: India 1, China 0.

The ChIndian Century - China's Century — or India's? - TIME

I wont even bother get into this india movies vs chinese movies with frog in the well guy like you. The reality is india movies only popular in south asia or country that has a large south asia population.your comparing popularity of a docudrama to 3 idiots just shown you are clueless of what is a popular movie or what movie goers would like to go to see in a cinema.

Götterdämmerung;2320155 said:
I have no problems at all with the way how you tell stories, It's your culture and your entertainment. Who am I to judge and decide what you should do? But claiming global success when just a few of your movies have been screened nationwide in Europe, the US or East Asia or awarded prestigious prizes is just crazy.

I think a Chinese forumer just posted a short list of Chinese award winning movies. They were surely awarded for being story-less and only showing Kung Fu. :lol:

I told you people heard of only "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon" and that was a Kung Fu Movie. I read CNN and BBC regularly and never read about any other Chinese movie. Most of your international brand like Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee etc. are from Kung Fu background. Chinese film industry still lacks maturity apart from showing Kung Fu. Your definition of global presence means G-8 countries( But people watch our movies in UK, US and Canada.) :triniti:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom