What's new

Can India copy Rafale fighter and build a new fighter?

As Mastankhan pointed out in his earlier post that why would one want to copy a product when full ToT is already given? If we work with Dassualt in producing Rafale, I am sure in time we will develop the technical know how and industrial base to absorb the 4.5 gen provided to us and should be able to use it in future/present indian planes.

India can but will not.

Why should we reverse engineer it when we already have full TOT. Why to use the same tech to illegaly create the same thing and face criticism,why not use the same tech with little changes to create something new,a masterpiece of our own

Not willing to reverse or not able to reverse? Maybe both.

As Mastankhan pointed out in his earlier post that why would one want to copy a product when full ToT is already given? If we work with Dassualt in producing Rafale, I am sure in time we will develop the technical know how and industrial base to absorb the 4.5 gen provided to us and should be able to use it in future/present indian planes.

Your model is passive and reverse is active, totally different.

Your model is passive and reverse is active, totally different.

Yes they are totally different. One is done by respecting the copyright and with consent whereas other is done by copying and stealing.

Will Rafale transfer all the tech to India without conservation. I highly doubt it. I am not here to denigrate India way of dealing tech transfer, but regarding which way is more effective. China or India?

Get access to Rafale is very good to India in the long run.

I think the problem of India is you are adapting a passive attitude when dealing with tech absorbing.

Three decisive factors:
1. opportunity,no doubt india has.
2. willingness,maybe no to build a full version rafale.but surely india will try to apply some of the key technologies to its next new fighter intentionally or unintentionally
3. and ability,this is what i doubt. reverse engineering is not simple copy and paste,as it is incapable to copy every part or material with same mechanical properties and processing accuracy.it needs huge amount of CAE and fatigue tests.for the electronic systems,it is much harder,as hardly anything can be borrowed from the prototype, need to start from 0.

Three decisive factors:
1. opportunity,no doubt India has.
2. willingness,maybe no to build a full version rafale.but surely India will try to apply some of the key technologies to its next new fighter intentionally or unintentionally
3. and ability,this is what i doubt. reverse engineering is not simple copy and paste,as it is incapable to copy every part or material with same mechanical properties and processing accuracy.it needs huge amount of CAE and fatigue tests.for the electronic systems,it is much harder,as hardly anything can be borrowed from the prototype, need to start from 0.

There is no doubt as far as metal and electronic industry is concerned, China is miles ahead of Indian industry. Take for example the Radar modules, receivers and semi-conductor chips, China and South Korea are amongst world's largest manufacturer in this field, whereas India unfortunately has nothing much to speak about.
And it is in this context, that mega defence deals and offset clauses are important. The Rafale deal would end up after manufacturing of 126 jets (and perhaps follows on orders) but the Industry base that will get created as a result of offset obligations will be there to serve the defence forces for a long time. Also the manufacturing , metallurgical , electronic industry would definitely benefit from the other intangible benefits.

There is no doubt as far as metal and electronic industry is concerned, China is miles ahead of Indian industry. Take for example the Radar modules, receivers and semi-conductor chips, China and South Korea are amongst world's largest manufacturer in this field, whereas India unfortunately has nothing much to speak about.
And it is in this context, that mega defence deals and offset clauses are important. The Rafale deal would end up after manufacturing of 126 jets (and perhaps follows on orders) but the Industry base that will get created as a result of offset obligations will be there to serve the defence forces for a long time. Also the manufacturing , metallurgical , electronic industry would definitely benefit from the other intangible benefits.

But you have your advantage. Like software, engeers and help from france , russia and america.

But you have your advantage. Like software, engeers and help from france , russia and america.

In these parts of world, there is a saying:
Success of any Human Endeavor depends on two things:
1. Realization of ones Strength
2. Acknowledgment of ones weaknesses.

My Assessment of Indian Industry is that Software and Outsourcing Industry is growing leaps and bound because English medium education and mathematics is one of the core strength of trained man-power in India. A lot of IT companies realized this and see today India is second to none.
On the other hand manufacturing is not so developed despite the fact that successive governments have been trying to push its case, due to weaknesses in training , outdated labor laws and lack of assisting infra-structure and administration. This is our weakness and unless someone seriously tries to correct it, the story will not change.

Back
Top Bottom