What's new

Can China break the military aircraft engine bottleneck?

Jet engine is alien technology. It's written in the ancient Sanskrit texts. Nazis were occultists and they traveled to Tibet to obtain jet engine technology.

Jet engine is alien technology. It's written in the ancient Sanskrit texts. Nazis were occultists and they traveled to Tibet to obtain jet engine technology.

Then tell me why it takes so long for the Indians to make Tejas and to have scrapped their Kaveri project altogether if the ancient text is accurate

images

Well it's true that engine is China's main Achilles hill, from military engines to civilian ones. Even their auto makers still have to depend on importing engines from Japan and still depend on Russian engines for most of their military aircrafts.

However, they have made alot of progress especially in the military field, considering they were nowhere near just 2 decades ago. So I think it's just a matter of time for them to fully master engine development /reliability. But it's true their engines are still not mature as of now. But with time it will.

The world's leading engine makers (it's an elite league, as there are just 4 as of now) U. S, U. K, FRANCE AND RUSSIA(some will add Germany) . All of these countries have been world powers and industrialised countries for over a century now . So obviously they lead all others I'm such fields, for example we in the U.K produced the world's first tuborfan jet engine and the allies only operational fighter jet called the 'Gloster meteor' wayyyyy back in 1943. So we have over half a century of experience producing military turbofan engines . So that gave us a huge head start compared to other developing countries like China, India et al who developed /industrialised just recently. So we need to give these countries time, they will surely get there. Though it's too early to boast as of now, still need alot of time to mature.
Developing a reliable /proven/opetational Engine is the most sophisticated/difficult thing to master technologically, and it also shows how advanced a country and it's industries are overall, since it's the pinnacle of technology. though experience also matters.

Does the US have "bottlenecks"? Of course they have, of a different type.
It is just a matter of who has started the engine development first and how much earlier!

images

I agree completely with this part .

Well it's true that engine is China's main Achilles hill, from military engines to civilian ones. Even their auto makers still have to depend on importing engines from Japan and still depend on Russian engines for most of their military aircrafts.

However, they have made alot of progress especially in the military field, considering they were nowhere near just 2 decades ago. So I think it's just a matter of time for them to fully master engine development /reliability. But it's true their engines are still not mature as of now. But with time it will.

The world's leading engine makers (it's an elite league, as there are just 4 as of now) U. S, U. K, FRANCE AND RUSSIA(some will add Germany) . All of these countries have been world powers and industrialised countries for over a century now . So obviously they lead all others I'm such fields, for example we in the U.K produced the world's first tuborfan jet engine and the allies only operational fighter jet called the 'Gloster meteor' wayyyyy back in 1943. So we have over half a century of experience producing military turbofan engines . So that gave us a huge head start compared to other developing countries like China, India et al who developed /industrialised just recently. So we need to give these countries time, they will surely get there. Though it's too early to boast as of now, still need alot of time to mature.
Developing a reliable /proven/opetational Engine is the most sophisticated/difficult thing to master technologically, and it also shows how advanced a country and it's industries are overall, since it's the pinnacle of technology. though experience also matters.

I agree completely with this part .

Thanks for your agreement on my part which derived from the preceding reasoning
It is a procedural thing
A successful laboratory generated product cannot all be made industralised or at once
To make a turbofan/jet engine is the most difficult technique by itself but to have it manufactured on a grand scale requires another level of expertise
I have no qualm in saying the China made engines fall short in many parameters and still lagging behind the best
However, contrary to the negative impression as conveyed from the OP, I am actually rather optimistic on the future development of our engines - all of them
If we have hurdled the first major obstacle, it opens up and speeds up a lot of grounds for developments in other areas too, common motor car engines included.

images

Penzai

Last edited:
If the author is claiming for "bottleneck" in our engine development perhaps there is but we have to distinguish where the so called "bottleneck" lies.

As far as engines like WS-10A are concerned, the 'bottleneck" most likely arise from the mass production phase. I believe WS10A has already passed the reliability test before mass production. The technological requirement of making an engine piecemeal is very different from successfully launching mass productions for the engine. It is a completely different ball game for the latter. The production backlog leads to the need for procurement of large quantiy of Russian engines. it is not hard to find it out if you counter check the figures in the OP yourselves. And we have a sizeable fleet of J10; J11, J15 etc in stock to maintain

We also have to face other R & D bottlenecks such as in the commercial jet engines category and in the development of the next generation fighter jet engines which are more fundamental than the WS-10A project. This are the reasons for spending additional billions of RMB into R and D as mentioned in the article

But it is totally wrong if assuming after 30 years of endeavour, we come out empty handed

Also to compare the tech difficulty of high by-pass ratio jet engines with rocket engines is ridiculous

images

Chinese Print-art Painting
All along there is NOTHING that we should be feeling ashamed of during the process of engine development
I think both in your post ealier and mine later have pointed out what the so called "bottle neck" is
I have been seeing vids/photos and numerous comments about the successful testing of WS-10A in our jets for many years now
And I presume the writer of the article cannot read Chinese or he would not have just limited his internet scouting to Sina / Sohu which is laughable for a professional writer to base his opinion on
The guy is again beating around the bush for an answer. He reached his conclusion on circumstantial evidences or conjectures It is a rough analysis which is so much short of refinement. And I am sure no one from our top brass will divulge classified information at this stage. Third parties have to wait for more time perhaps another 5 years or more for our official disclosure of what we have achieved today

Does the US have "bottlenecks"? Of course they have, of a different type.
It is just a matter of who has started the engine development first and how much earlier!

images

A mini Jubilation. We want more and we can deliver.

China has built 490 Taihang engines so far

Well done China, keep going buddies!

images

China Diving - the World's Best of the Bests
The Team capture 10 gold, 3 silver and 2 bronze medals
@ the 2015 World Aquatics Championships in Kazan Russia

Back
Top Bottom