What's new

Can China break the military aircraft engine bottleneck?

There are already more than hundred J-11B equipped with the WS-10A engine, i don't need to say more.

Now, the WS-10A is already ready for the J-10, and almost ready for the J-15.

I don't need to explain more.

Ok. I will believe you. Then perhaps there are 2 years more to meet my definition. Everyone can have their own definition, right?

Also, what is going on about Rail Gun, EMALS and Laser weapons? There is quite a possibility that these technologies will change warfare forever in the same way gun powder did. You can't really fight an adversary using gun powder with swords can you?

Ok. I will believe you. Then perhaps there are 2 years more to meet my definition. Everyone can have their own definition, right?

Also, what is going on about Rail Gun, EMALS and Laser weapons? There is quite a possibility that these technologies will change warfare forever in the same way gun powder did. You can't really fight an adversary using gun powder with swords can you?

As for the railgun, EMALS, laser weapons, all these information we mostly spread around the Chinese inner circle, not to the foreigners.

Because most foreigners will not tend to believe that China has progressed so fast.

Also, we prefer to stay in low profile, and we don't brag on something that hasn't done yet.

As for the railgun, EMALS, laser weapons, all these information we mostly spread around the Chinese inner circle, not to the foreigners.

Because most foreigners will not tend to believe that China has progressed so fast.

Also, we prefer to stay in low profile, and we don't brag on something that hasn't done yet.

Ok assume that I will believe you.
Tell me the progress made, and the first visible signs that we will see.

Ok assume that I will believe you.
Tell me the progress made, and the first visible signs that we will see.

The laser weapon is on par with the US. For example, we had managed to successfully conduct a test to blind a satellite with our laser weapons back in 2005.

The EMALS has almost finished its prototype stage, and the railgun's progression is the most snail speed out of three things.

Whether you believe it or not, it is not our concern.

If the author is claiming for "bottleneck" in our engine development perhaps there is but we have to distinguish where the so called "bottleneck" lies.

As far as engines like WS-10A are concerned, the 'bottleneck" most likely arise from the mass production phase. I believe WS10A has already passed the reliability test before mass production. The technological requirement of making an engine piecemeal is very different from successfully launching mass productions for the engine. It is a completely different ball game for the latter. The production backlog leads to the need for procurement of large quantiy of Russian engines. it is not hard to find it out if you counter check the figures in the OP yourselves. And we have a sizeable fleet of J10; J11, J15 etc in stock to maintain

We also have to face other R & D bottlenecks such as in the commercial jet engines category and in the development of the next generation fighter jet engines which are more fundamental than the WS-10A project. This are the reasons for spending additional billions of RMB into R and D as mentioned in the article

But it is totally wrong if assuming after 30 years of endeavour, we come out empty handed

Also to compare the tech difficulty of high by-pass ratio jet engines with rocket engines is ridiculous

images

Chinese Print-art Painting

Last edited:
The laser weapon is on par with the US. For example, we had managed to successfully conduct a test to blind a satellite with our laser weapons back in 2005.

The EMALS has almost finished its prototype stage, and the railgun's progression is the most snail speed out of three things.

Whether you believe it or not, it is not our concern.

But the test that you talk about, was not really of intense lasers. Here we are talking about directed energy weapons which can blow things. Can you give more details apart from the satellite report?

If are on your way to EMALS, why is type 001A without catapult, and type 002 (which will be launched after 2020) with steam catapult?

But the test that you talk about, was not really of intense lasers. Here we are talking about directed energy weapons which can blow things. Can you give more details apart from the satellite report?

If are on your way to EMALS, why is type 001A without catapult, and type 002 (which will be launched after 2020) with steam catapult?

We are also developing the invisible laser without the color spectrum like the USN does, but we only need a powerful platform like the Type 055.

The USN also considers the current Arleigh Burke class DDGs are way too underpowered to host those futuristic directed-energy weapons. They are considering to leave it to the DDG-1000 class and the ABIII class.

As for the EMALS, as i said, it is only slightly beyond the prototype stage, not fully ready yet.

The Type 001A won't use any kind of catapult because there are two different shipyards to build the aircraft carrier.

The Type 002 will likely use the steam catapult, and it will be built in a different shipyard from the Type 001A.

Our steam catapult is much more mature compared to the EMALS, we have started our development since the 1980s, and we can certainly build the C13 equivalent steam catapult which was used by the late Nimitz class CVN.

We are also developing the invisible laser without the color spectrum like the USN does, but we only need a powerful platform like the Type 055.

The USN also considers the current Arleigh Burke class DDGs are way too underpowered to host those futuristic directed-energy weapons. They are considering to leave it to the DDG-1000 class and the ABIII class.

As for the EMALS, as i said, it is only slightly beyond the prototype stage, not fully ready yet.

The Type 001A won't use any kind of catapult because there are two different shipyards to build the aircraft carrier.

The Type 002 will likely use the steam catapult, and it will be built in a different shipyard from the Type 001A.

Our steam catapult is much more mature compared to the EMALS, we have started our development since the 1980s, and we can certainly build the C13 equivalent steam catapult which was used by the late Nimitz class CVN.

So when is type 002 going to be deployed?

The Engines In China's New F-35 Rip Off Smoke Like A Chimney | The Daily Caller

China-Shenyang-J31-YouTube_opt1-e1415373761324.jpg

Tech
The Engines In China’s ‘Stealthy’ New J-35 Smoke Like A Chimney

Giuseppe Macri
Tech Editor

11:39 AM 11/07/2014

Thursday footage of China’s new Shenyang J-31 Falcon Eagle fifth-generation fighter — which copies major design elements from the F-35 and F-22 — conducting a test flight shows one feature of the stealth fighter that could pose a problem for hiding from the enemy.

The video spotted by The Aviationist of the fighter performing some pretty basic maneuvers ahead of a major air defense show in Zhuhai, Guangdong outside of Hong Kong next week shows some rather smokey engines powering the fighter through simple banks and turns — certainly nothing that should merit any strain on the airframe or its engines.

WATCH:

Though the jet features a host of stealthy, radar-evading design elements lifted from Lockheed Martin’s fifth-gen F-35 multi-role Joint Strike Fighter (including the sensor-loaded nose section, trapezoid-shaped wings and dual tails), radar invisibility could prove to be a moot point if the jet’s fifth-gen cousins can spot its smokey engine burn-off trailing across the sky.

The jet is likely still in prototype stage and could see various changes — including to its engines — before rolling out en masse on Chinese tarmacs. If it’s anything like the American cousin it’s trying to copy, it could still be awhile before all bugs are worked out. (RELATED: China’s New Fifth-Generation Fighter Is Unsurprisingly Similar To The F-35)

Was it flying with Russian or Chinese engines
Regardless, J31 is still in develpment, is it not?
We dont owe third parties an obligation to ensure perfect quality in development stage

images

Handpaintedn Jingdezhen Porcelain vase

Was it flying with Russian or Chinese engines
Regardless, J31 is still in develpment, is it not?
We dont owe third parties an obligation to ensure perfect quality in development stage

images

Handpaintedn Jingdezhen Porcelain vase

Just let them be, since they are just too superficial to see the real progress of China's military tech.

Just let them be, since they are just too superficial to see the real progress of China's military tech.

All along there is NOTHING that we should be feeling ashamed of during the process of engine development
I think both in your post ealier and mine later have pointed out what the so called "bottle neck" is
I have been seeing vids/photos and numerous comments about the successful testing of WS-10A in our jets for many years now
And I presume the writer of the article cannot read Chinese or he would not have just limited his internet scouting to Sina / Sohu which is laughable for a professional writer to base his opinion on
The guy is again beating around the bush for an answer. He reached his conclusion on circumstantial evidences or conjectures It is a rough analysis which is so much short of refinement. And I am sure no one from our top brass will divulge classified information at this stage. Third parties have to wait for more time perhaps another 5 years or more for our official disclosure of what we have achieved today

Does the US have "bottlenecks"? Of course they have, of a different type.
It is just a matter of who has started the engine development first and how much earlier!

images

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom