What's new

Bukalapak: The multibillion-dollar business behind Indonesia’s iconic street stalls

_NOBODY_

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Indonesia is famous for its millions of traditional street kiosks, but they are modernizing fast amid strong competition from modern retailers. CNBC Make It’s Karen Gilchrist spoke to Bukalapak CEO Rachmat Kaimuddin about the multibillion-dollar business of bringing small sellers online.

Can something like this work in Pakistan?

@ghazi52 @araz @The Eagle @The Accountant @That Guy @Irfan Baloch @PanzerKiel @AgNoStiC MuSliM @Imran Khan @PAKISTANFOREVER @waz @Windjammer @WinterFangs @KaiserX @niaz @farok84 @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @MastanKhan @krash @FOOLS_NIGHTMARE @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Cookie Monster @Bratva @VCheng @Foxtrot Alpha @Rafael @Rafi @Trango Towers @TNT @Indus Pakistan @Falcon26 @Norwegian @LeGenD @Iltutmish @notorious_eagle @Akh1112 @mingle @Dazzler @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @Tipu7 @Hodor @Horus @Ark_Angel @SQ8 @Indos

Indonesia is famous for its millions of traditional street kiosks, but they are modernizing fast amid strong competition from modern retailers. CNBC Make It’s Karen Gilchrist spoke to Bukalapak CEO Rachmat Kaimuddin about the multibillion-dollar business of bringing small sellers online.

@ghazi52 @araz @The Eagle @The Accountant @That Guy @Irfan Baloch @PanzerKiel @AgNoStiC MuSliM @Imran Khan @PAKISTANFOREVER @waz @Windjammer @WinterFangs @KaiserX @niaz @farok84 @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @MastanKhan @krash @FOOLS_NIGHTMARE @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Cookie Monster @Bratva @VCheng @Foxtrot Alpha @Rafael @Rafi @Trango Towers @TNT @Indus Pakistan @Falcon26 @Norwegian @LeGenD @Iltutmish @notorious_eagle @Akh1112 @mingle @Dazzler @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @Tipu7 @Hodor @Horus @Ark_Angel @SQ8 @Indos

This is another good one, fit for any country that has big agricultural sectors

TaniHub bags $70m Series B, aims to expand supply chain

1623324200153.png

Agriculture Minister Syahrul Yasin Limpo (second right) makes an official visit on April 21, 2021 to TaniHub's National Fulfillment Center (NFC) in Cikarang, Bekasi, West Java, accompanied by TaniHub Group CEO Pamitra Wineka (right) and chief operating officer Sariyo (third left). (Courtesy of Tanihub/.)

Vincent Fabian (The Jakarta Post)
Jakarta ● Mon, May 24, 2021

TaniHub Group, one of Indonesia's top agriculture technology start-ups, has raised US$69.5 million (Rp 942 billion) in a Series B funding round to expand its supply chain outside the islands of Java and Bali.

The start-up said in a statement on Friday it would use the new funds to build more “mini hubs” of warehouses or packaging facilities across the archipelago with an aim to boost transactions and exports of fresh products by volume.

Supply chain services is one of three core businesses TaniHub provides farmers. The other two services are a fresh produce online marketplace and peer-to-peer lending.

“We are planning to strengthen our role in every region of Indonesia, bringing farmers and consumers closer together,” TaniHub Group CEO Pamitra Wineka said in the statement.

The new funding round was led by MDI Ventures, a subsidiary of state-owned telecommunications giant PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia (Telkom), and involved Add Ventures, BRI Ventures, Flourish Ventures, Intudo Ventures, Openspace Ventures, Tenaya Capital, UOB Venture Management and Vertex Ventures.

TaniHub said its business had grown a whopping 639 percent in 2020, when it also expanded its business beyond Java by opening a warehouse in Bali. The agritech start-up added it planned to expand to the islands of Kalimantan and Sumatra.

According to business data provider Crunchbase, the latest Series B round brings TaniHub’s total funding to $94.5 million, following an extended Series A funding round in April that raised $17 million.

MDI Ventures portfolio director Sandhy Widyasthana said the new fund, which had been “entrusted to MDI from Telkom and the State-Owned Enterprises (SOEs) Ministry”, was expected to help TaniHub expand its reach to more farming communities in the country.

The agriculture sector leads in workforce absorption at 30 percent, yet it is also very low-tech, and less than one-fifth of all farmers have tertiary and higher education.

Since its establishment in mid-2016, TaniHub has partnered with over 35,000 smallholder farmers and operates 12 distribution hubs to date, distributing over 900 different agricultural products to more than 200,000 customers.

So far Indonesian young entrepreneurs has won the competition in South East Asia for funding, dont know for future but I think Gojek success story has made people open up more business

1623325382314.png

@Goenitz What do think about this? I think that something like this can work in Pakistan.
The main thing is the reduction of supply chain components... it cuts cost... like the one you shared about 24seven, selling online vegetables.. it creates more profits for the producer and seller... listen this convo...
didn't tag you before :rolleyes1:

The main thing is the reduction of supply chain components... it cuts cost... like the one you shared about 24seven, selling online vegetables.. it creates more profits for the producer and seller... listen this convo...
didn't tag you before :rolleyes1:
This is tough to execute. Only a distribution tycoon should be able pull this off.

This is tough to execute. Only a distribution tycoon should be able pull this off.
gradually.. it can be done... or doing it rapidly, like Modi,, would result a huge protest and political misfortune...
ZARA reason for success... : cutting the supply chain stages

@jamahir

gradually.. it can be done... or doing it rapidly, like Modi,, would result a huge protest and political misfortune...
ZARA reason for success... : cutting the supply chain stages

@jamahir
Let's hope that someone creates a similar startup to Bukalapak in Pakistan. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

Let's hope that someone creates a similar startup to Bukalapak in Pakistan. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?
Currently, just waiting for PhD, in engineering though.
In my family, we also sell imported stuff online. We buy mainly from Auction and then ship it to Pakistan. Then we are working for targeted advertisement based on GPS location.

However, with current situation, I think I can only do job and no business, as there can't be enough capital to invest. And i have no experience in agriculture or somethings. Neither I cna spend time to learn as the time for making mistakes is gone.

Otherwise, i have been interested in business since my O-Level. I wanted to be a CA till A-level. After graduation, i wanted to be a CSS officer, just for business sake. A little background that my father lost nearly 6 million Rs from 2002 to 2010 in agriculture, milk selling and property business.

The reason for loss are fraudulent papers, no security, and illicit system, besides the greed to earn rapidly.

Currently, just waiting for PhD, in engineering though.
In my family, we also sell imported stuff online. We buy mainly from Auction and then ship it to Pakistan. Then we are working for targeted advertisement based on GPS location.

However, with current situation, I think I can only do job and no business, as there can't be enough capital to invest. And i have no experience in agriculture or somethings. Neither I cna spend time to learn as the time for making mistakes is gone.

Otherwise, i have been interested in business since my O-Level. I wanted to be a CA till A-level. After graduation, i wanted to be a CSS officer, just for business sake. A little background that my father lost nearly 6 million Rs from 2002 to 2010 in agriculture, milk selling and property business.

The reason for loss are fraudulent papers, no security, and illicit system, besides the greed to earn rapidly.
Whatever you do don't keep all of your money in the bank, you must invest a significant chunk of it at least somewhere. Buying a property in DHA is the safest thing that you can do in terms of investing. My father made all of his through real estate, if you need any help regarding the purchase of real estate in Pakistan then feel free to ask me and you should also know that I am not a property dealer.

I am currently doing my Bachelor's degree in computer science. I plan on going to either Mainland China, Hong Kong or Singapore for Master's and then settling there for a couple of years and then move back to Pakistan once I ready to create my own startup.

Pakistanis are doing this in some way through Amazon marketplace - but the general hesitancy in being part of a collective and sharing profits will be a huge hurdle to overcome. Its less of an infrastructure and more of a mindset issue.

Pakistanis are doing this in some way through Amazon marketplace - but the general hesitancy in being part of a collective and sharing profits will be a huge hurdle to overcome. Its less of an infrastructure and more of a mindset issue.
Are you talking about Extreme Commerce and Enablers? Both of those organizations are the darling of many Pakistani entrepreneurs right now.

I am currently doing my Bachelor's degree in computer science. I plan on going to either Mainland China, Hong Kong or Singapore for Master's and then settling there for a couple of years and then move back to Pakistan once I ready to create my own startup.
Spend some time in learning languages, like Chinese... it will help.
I will try to buy property first in UK. Then I will invest in NBP NAFA schemes. Then hoping to open a consultancy firm, after some years of experiencing.

The thing I am worried about most in pakistan is when you get a little rich, then there is a chance of extortion by goons, corrupt politicians/officers etc.. Otherwise, there is a lot to invest. Like, in dairy products.

The thing I am worried about most in pakistan is when you get a little rich, then there is a chance of extortion by goons, corrupt politicians/officers etc.. Otherwise, there is a lot to invest. Like, in dairy products.
Nothing like that happened to me and my family when we moved back to Pakistan from Saudi Arabia. As long as you are a filer there isn't much to worry about in this regard.
Spend some time in learning languages, like Chinese... it will help.
I will try to buy property first in UK. Then I will invest in NBP NAFA schemes. Then hoping to open a consultancy firm, after some years of experiencing.
I am learning Mandarin right now. What will people be consulting with this firm?

Back
Top Bottom