What's new

Why Sarah Qureshi Decided to Build a Jet Engine?

This thread reminds my why I hated thermodynamics class and didn't want to do anything with the field! :P
I don't hate but afraid.. the reason being we were not taught well.. Same goes with aerothermo and fluid dynamics. To be fair if one is weak in thermo, he cannot do well in CFD. I even suck at its basics..

I don't hate but afraid.. the reason being we were not taught well.. Same goes with aerothermo and fluid dynamics. To be fair if one is weak in thermo, he cannot do well in CFD. I even suck at its basics..

Oh yes, totally agree.

The effect of a professor on what you learn from the course is immense. One professor can make you dread the class, another can make you love it!

IMO, our engineering, for the most part, is based on the 'mistari' mind set...jugaru kaam. The few students that do make it and actually understand the material and learn it, apni mehnat par hi kartay hain.

Oh yes, totally agree.

The effect of a professor on what you learn from the course is immense. One professor can make you dread the class, another can make you love it!

IMO, our engineering, for the most part, is based on the 'mistari' mind set...jugaru kaam. The few students that do make it and actually understand the material and learn it, apni mehnat par hi kartay hain.
I think the main reason is switching from annual system (A-level, FSc) to semester system (the US). Here in UK, tutorials/exercises are must in BSc like A-level. We teach and conduct relevant exercise after the class (2-2 hours each).
Just yesterday, our HoD was saying that not matter what students do, it is our job that they take study seriously and do better, In Pak, faculty think just delivering lecture is their job, here engagement is priority.

In Pak, faculty think just delivering lecture is their job, here engagement is priority.

Cannot comment on the annual vs semester debate, but the above quoted part is true. Here in the US, the professor thinks that devliering a lecture is less than 20% of their job, while the rest is research and learning.

Cannot comment on the annual vs semester debate, but the above quoted part is true. Here in the US, the professor thinks that devliering a lecture is less than 20% of their job, while the rest is research and learning.

Meanwhile in Pakistan:

I guess formation of contrails can be avoided/ minimized by flying above or below low temp zones.. Nass says so ;-)

As Sarah described, global contrails produce an estimated 2.5 bn tonnes of condensed water vapour, and their radiation effect is equivalent to 33% of estimated worldwide electricity consumption. So the scale of the challenge is formidable.
According to the emission index of water, 1.25kg of water is produced for every 1kg of kerosene fuel burn. In the wider context of the environmental impact of aviation, contrails created through aero emissions disturb the atmospheric balance and affect the earth’s radiation budget - either by reflecting sunlight back to space or by trapping the infra-red radiation emitted by the earth’s surface (the greenhouse effect). The radiative effect of contrails is said to vary around 10mW/m2. According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), contrails cover 0.2% of the Earth’s surface at present and this is likely to rise to 0.5% by 2050. This constitutes a considerable proportion of aviation’s contribution to global warming, at 25K watts. Studies have also proven that the global warming potential of contrails is five times that of carbon dioxide. Therefore, when it comes to reducing the environmental impact of aviation - a reduction in the water footprint is equally important as that of the CO2 footprint.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom