What's new

Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

lol.....they have so much money their assets are being impounded around the globe or an in a danger of being if they leave Argentinian soil.

Argentine navy ship seized in asset fight - FT.com

^^ Navy training ship

Argentina Grounds President's Plane - WSJ.com

President had to take a charter flight out of fear of loosing the presidential jet.

So, yeah, do tell more about those Sukhoi's. Principally out of which pocket will they be paid.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ topic: Indians on crack in this thread. :lol:

LOL. Forget there current problems.

Argentina has a government budget of around 110 billion dollars a year. They could easily divert 10 billion a year to defence if they wanted to with a bias towards the airforce as that would be the primary way to defeat the UK over the Falklands. If they wanted to they can build a huge fleet of Sukhois.

Like I said, if they want the Falklands let them build a military capable of taking it from the UK.

A middle-income country of 40 million should be able to do it if they really wanted it badly enough.

LOL. Forget there current problems.

Argentina has a government budget of around 110 billion dollars a year. They could easily divert 10 billion a year to defence if they wanted to with a bias towards the airforce as that would be the primary way to defeat the UK over the Falklands. If they wanted to they can build a huge fleet of Sukhois.

Like I said, if they want the Falklands let them build a military capable of taking it from the UK.

A middle-income country of 40 million should be able to do it if they really wanted it badly enough.

Ah, forget current problems.
So nice to write it like this. Maybe you should go check from when these problems exist and maybe you will even see that they are not so current, rather bordering on chronic right now.

I have the ability to read what real down to earth argentinians have to say on this on another forum. Their president's claims and trolling (posting articles in UK newspapers about the Falklands) according to them is just a diversion to divert attention from the dire economic straits they are in currently.

Before replying me, you can also review the state of Argentine Navy and Air Force, which of the top of my head didnt get any new noterworthy assets in the last 20 years in contrast to the UK Navy which can boast top of the line destroyers, upgraded Harriers, Apaches (from HMS Ocean-no need for QEII), Eurofighters, new SSN's....

Argentina would be hopelessly outmatched....even with your "vision" of Sukhoi's....

Lets not bring offtopic.

Why are u being so stuck up and pontificating yet using parts of my reply? you have equal problems in Balochistan and KP.

The point made by me was if we go by the will of the people Falkland wants to be a part of UK and the Valley of Kashmir wants to be independant of Pakistan and India. Ask Yasin Malik

sure feel free and also add the figures of how many Indians sell their family jewels to come and work illegally in the UK compared to vice a versa.
Dude im a Kashmiri n i know better then u No body said that they want freedom from Pakistan nor did yasin Malik.
Do u even know he has a Pakistani wife n he visits Pak regularly. The indian on the other hand say he is a Pak agent.

But his point was that lets discuss the topic in hand thats all. Posting off topic comments to derail the discussion is against forum rules also.

If u believe its yr part then justify with logic n concrete evidence n convince the members by removing their misconceptions.

Thanks!

@Always Neutral

Mate, I try to avoid Britain-India discussion as both of these countries represent me. But you need to get some facts right. Yes, Britain has right on Falkland islands and we're not gonna let any country walk all over us and invade our sovereignty just because it lies in their proximity.

But you should also get your facts right. In 1948 Pakistani Mujahiddin invaded then sovereign princely state of Jammu and Kashmir forcing Raja to accede to India union. India regained control of populous valley and much of state before UN would intervene.

Ran away from Tibet? When was India in Tibet? You mean when Dalai Lama sought refuge in India? Dressed as irregulars? Lool In 1962 India was OFFICIALLY at war with China so, they didn't need to dress up as irregulars. Are you talking about 1999 when Pakistan Army dressed irregulars invaded LoC and denied their involvement?

Indian Army shot bricks in from of the Chinese? Loool Indian Army was outnumbered by 1:10, it still stood its' ground and fought although they lost. And gave up vast amouts of land? loool That's funny because "Territorial changes of 1962 war: Status quo ante bellum". It's Latin, I hope you know what it means :)

And yeah not to mention even today there are thousands of Indian Sikhs (Including my own brother who studies at Wellback College and who is also a senior Cadet from Ulverscroft who lead the march on Rememberence day in Victoria Park when your favourite Mullahs were busy with protests and slogans of "British soldiers rot in hell, Our soldiers in paradise") and Indian Gurkhas serving in British Army so people like you and me can go sleep in peace and ridicule each other online. How many Pakistanis who think it is against their Religion or Chinese are serving in British Army?

So don't get all worked up over some Ignorant Indians' comment and offend whole race. After this, I don't really expect a reply from you but still I'll be looking forward to it.
yr wrong dude, we did that for some reason..........but anyway that british guy still think its 18th century n we r same innocent people as we used to be in united india.

Last edited by a moderator:
Britian should shut up. Their colonialism era is long gone. They are reduced to the pathetic island nation they are today. Give the land back to Argentina

A Civil Debate will be replied civily.

WELL WE HAVE THE HENDERSON BROOKS REPORT YET TO BE DECLASSIFIED SINCE 50 YEARS AND I HAVE READ IT. WHEN YOUR GOVT. DECLASSIFIES THE SAME YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHAT I SAY IS TRUE.

Yet 100000 Indian risk their lives to come hear illegally? Are you guys so dumb?
I always knew yr a MI6 agent but didnt knew that they sooooo childish as u:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seems and Apt discription of Pakistan and the aid they beg NATO and the US for?

We beg:rofl:

We all saw as well as the world who bagged whom when yr NATO supplies were stopped n who beggs us to fight against afghan freedom fighters who kick in yr backsides in Afghanistan.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And yet they still hold on to kashmir. His own country is doing what he says is impossible. And from recent news has been involved in a skirmish with Indian troops.

:lol: Dude u have fallen into that lower level......:lol:

Kashmir is not a 1000 miles away like falklands from England.

Britian should shut up. Their colonialism era is long gone. They are reduced to the pathetic island nation they are today. Give the land back to Argentina
You speak as if Argentina have a long history of owning the islands. In the 250 years or so in which the islands have been inhabited, they have owned the falklands for about 2 years.
UN law dictates that they have the right to self-determination. Leave them be. It's not like the islands are much us anyway.

Forget about the past history - To victors goes the spoils - Having stated that looking at it from a neutral angle, Falklands people favor staying with UK and the 2013 referendum will confirm that. Do not look at the past colonial powers with a jaundiced eye - these ex-powers in the most recent times has been fair to allow people to decide what they want - For example, the Dutch has provided more autonomy to Aruba based on its wishes and the indepedence was only postponed due to the request of PM of Aruba.

So this useless tiny nation is still fighting colonial wars to protect its superpower status?

I lol at the brits, their nation is sinking like a rock and they want to take as many with them as they can. Clowns want to rule islands 5000km away from their homeland. Now ofcourse if things get out of control, US is all ready for an invasion.

kk I have another option.

How about a foolball match to decide who keeps the islands??? :cheesy: Certainly would be the most watched match in the history. Messi is all up to rape some Brit ***.

So this useless tiny nation is still fighting colonial wars to protect its superpower status?

I lol at the brits, their nation is sinking like a rock and they want to take as many with them as they can. Clowns want to rule islands 5000km away from their homeland. Now ofcourse if things get out of control, US is all ready for an invasion.

kk I have another option.

How about a foolball match to decide who keeps the islands??? :cheesy: Certainly would be the most watched match in the history. Messi is all up to rape some Brit ***.
Come on they have a very bad track record against England. Only noted victory came when they beat them by 4-1 in 2006 german wc.

You speak as if Argentina have a long history of owning the islands. In the 250 years or so in which the islands have been inhabited, they have owned the falklands for about 2 years.
UN law dictates that they have the right to self-determination. Leave them be. It's not like the islands are much us anyway.

simple ask people of that island and let them decide......

No British government could survive losing the Falklands

Argentina is ratcheting up the rhetoric, and turning talk to action – we must make sure we are ready to protect the islands

cristina-kirchner-falklan-007.jpg

Argentine president Cristina Fernández de Kirchner delivers a speech in front of a map of the Falkland Islands in the colours of the Argentinian flag. Photograph: Juan Mabromata/AFP/Getty Images

On the same day that Prince William arrived in the Falkland Islands last month, dozens of masked protesters took to the streets of Buenos Aires. They carried wooden bats, chanted anti-British slogans and vandalised an HSBC bank. Needless to say, Prince William's deployment, coupled with the 30th anniversary of the Falklands war, has catapulted the Falklands into the headlines north and south of the equator.

Since the re-election of Cristina Fernández de Kirchner as president of Argentina, there has been a crescendo of rhetoric coming from Buenos Aires about the status of the Falkland Islands. But more worryingly, the Argentinians have also started to turn this into action.

The Argentinian navy has intercepted, and even boarded, European fishing vessels operating under fishing licenses issued by the Falkland Islands. Thanks to strong encouragement from Buenos Aires, Falkland-flagged ships are increasingly banned from many South American ports. This has indirectly created a partial naval blockade around the Falkland Islands. In a speech last month, delivered in front of a map of the islands imprinted with the Argentinian flag, Kirchner announced that Argentina will be formally complaining to the UN about the recent "militarisation of the South Atlantic" by the British.

This week two cruise ships were denied a port call in Argentina because they had previously visited the Falklands. Argentina has put into question the future of the vital air link between Chile and the Falkland Islands. All of this amount to what 10 Downing Street has described as a "policy of confrontation" pursued by Argentina.

Unlike the UK, which wants to let the status of the islands be decided by the Falklanders themselves, Argentina would like to annex and colonise the islands. Exacerbating the problem, the Obama administration in Washington has publicly stated that it would like the UN to broker negotiations in order to decide what is best for the island's inhabitants. This policy plays right into the hands of President Kirchner and makes a mockery of the "special relationship".

The war fought and won by Britain in 1982 to expel the Argentinian invaders was a victory for self-determination. Margaret Thatcher's leadership during the war ensured that the Falklands were liberated and that its inhabitants remained British. David Cameron and William Hague have stood firm on the issue of the Falkland Islands, and they should continue to do so. The recent deployment of the newest Type-45 destroyer, HMS Dauntless, sends a message of seriousness to the region. Still more could be done.

During the cold war the US conducted an annual military exercise called Operation Reforger (Return of Forces to Germany). These exercises were designed to prove US ability to move conventional military forces rapidly from the US to Germany in the event of a war with the Soviets. The MoD should consider conducting a similar exercise for the Falklands. A British version could focus on rapidly deploying land, maritime and air assets in the event of a crisis in the south Atlantic. Regular exercises on this scale will be expensive but this is about being prepared for the unexpected. The Treasury needs to provide the MoD with the additional financial resources required. Defending the Falkland Islands is not a departmental issue, it is a national issue. The MoD should not have to bear the additional cost.

The UK must also factor cyber-warfare into any contingency planning for the Falklands. Argentinian hackers have been known to hack into Falklands' news websites in the past. This likely will happen more often in the future. It was rightly recognised in the 2010 strategic defence and security review that cyber-warfare will play a major role in future conflicts. Military planners must prepare for this – and the defence of the Falklands is no exception.

The recent announcement by the Department for International Development (DfID) that they will fund the construction of an airfield on St Helena, an overseas territory in the south Atlantic, is also a positive development for British strategy in the region. Similar to the airbase on Ascension Island, an airstrip on St Helena could be used as a military staging point during a time of crisis. An airstrip on St Helena will add resilience to the UK's south Atlantic contingency planning. It is also a good example of DfID money being used to further British strategic objectives. The construction of the airfield needs to be completed as soon as possible.

For its part, the Obama administration needs to make it crystal clear that they would back the UK in the event of a conflict. They also need to reverse their position on UN mediation over the status of the islands. It beggars belief that a country such as the US, with its deep-seated tradition of individual rights and instinctive suspicion of the UN, would want the UN to decide the fate of the islanders. When Obama hosts David Cameron next month he should offer assurances of US military support to the UK in the event of a crisis – on the same level as provided during the 1982 Falklands war.

No British government could survive losing the Falklands, and rightly so. This is why the islands still occupy a lot of time, resources and focus inside the Ministry of Defence. With a heavily defended airbase at Mount Pleasant, battle-tested Typhoon fighter jets, and the occasional attack submarine patrolling beneath the waves, Argentina would be foolish to try anything. But if, in the fog of war, the islands were occupied once again, this government must make it its policy to have the capability to take the islands back – and the MoD must be given the resources to do so. Anything less is unacceptable.

No British government could survive losing the Falklands | Luke Coffey | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom