What's new

Breaking News - Hawk Jet trainer crashed

Hope pilots are safe and there is no damage or loss of life and property on the ground.

Same way as you crashed your sub recently.:D

On topic : It is said to be the maintenance problem.
HAL does the maintenance and IAF says they do shoddy maintenance.
hawks are made to last

i blame hal since they make it and they maintain it.
i heard they have discrepancies between each hawk and each bird is never the same. same applies to their other projects

Pilot and instructor safety is immediate concern.
@Blue Marlin is right, it is pretty difficult to imagine if human error is the cause behind the crash (given lot of redundancy in design).
safety is a high concern
but the even higher concern is making sure it wont happen again
ejection will come thanks to the martain baker ejection seats (which is british)

what about the hjt-36 thats similar to the hawks right? i know its development is not easy and smooth

but the even higher concern is making sure it wont happen again
Surely IAF will constitute an inquiry into the event. recommendations and findings are incorporated in form of modifications in hardware and operating practices.
what about the hjt-36
Its an Intermediate Stage Trainer. Unfortunately HJT36 too has a faced difficulties during development and trials (some crashes occurred).
similar to the hawks right?
Usually the training for pilots follows this kind of a schedule. Elementary followed by Basic followed by Advanced followed by OCU (Operational Conversion).
BAES_184660.jpg

Here in India, Pilatus PC7 is used as Basic trainer and then BAE Hawks and then to OCUs.
HAL has been pushing forward its case for IJT (somewhere in between Basic and Advanced). development of IJT has been going on for way too long and given how standard AF conduct training, i'm not sure if IAF really wants an IJT.
upload_2016-8-4_15-32-31.png

I believe IAF really would want to follow a route as done elsewhere and here IJT may not have a future.

@Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA Any observations on IJT?

what? how did you manage to crash a hawk?
On topic : It is said to be the maintenance problem.
HAL does the maintenance and IAF says they do shoddy maintenance.

On a serious note, it is reported that:

"A Hawk advanced trainer aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed minutes after it took off from the Air Force base in West Bengal today."

In normal routine the bold part indicates two main things:

1: It crashed due to engine malfunction. IAF Hawks are powered by a single Rolls-Royce Adour Mk 871 turbofan engine, which are one of the most reliable engines around. So I would look for last maintenance performed on said engine recently or wud totally rule out engine problem to be the one.

2: It encountered a severe bird hit which does happen more often at take off and landing.

My analysis is more strengthened when I read:

"It crashed inside the boundary of the base."

If these are not the issues then maintenance is to be blamed to down one of the most reliable aircraft of its kind.

Last edited:
IAF Hawk trainer jet crashes, pilots safe
By IANS | Aug 04, 2016, 02.37 PM IST

KOLKATA: A Hawk advanced jet trainer today crashed soon after take off from Air Force Station, Kalaikunda in West Midnapore due to a "technical snag" but both the pilots ejected safely.

IAF sources said that the aircraft developed a technical problem at about 1100 hours, minutes after taking off from Kalaikunda air station in West Bengal, where another Hawk had crashed in June last year.

The crash occurred within the boundary of the air station, 138 kms from here, and the two pilots ejected safely, they said.

"A Court of Inquiry has been instituted into the crash," an IAF source said.

Last year in June, another Hawk had crashed after taking off from Kalaikunda station as it developed a technical problem. Budding fighter pilots undergo their stage-III training for a year on Hawk.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ETTWMain

IAF Hawk trainer jet crashes, pilots safe
By IANS | Aug 04, 2016, 02.37 PM IST

KOLKATA: A Hawk advanced jet trainer today crashed soon after take off from Air Force Station, Kalaikunda in West Midnapore due to a "technical snag" but both the pilots ejected safely.

IAF sources said that the aircraft developed a technical problem at about 1100 hours, minutes after taking off from Kalaikunda air station in West Bengal, where another Hawk had crashed in June last year.

The crash occurred within the boundary of the air station, 138 kms from here, and the two pilots ejected safely, they said.

"A Court of Inquiry has been instituted into the crash," an IAF source said.

Last year in June, another Hawk had crashed after taking off from Kalaikunda station as it developed a technical problem. Budding fighter pilots undergo their stage-III training for a year on Hawk.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ETTWMain

HOw old are these Hawk jets..??

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom