What's new

BrahMos test-flown from Su-30 MKI fighter jet; world will envy IAF, says BrahMos Aerospace MD

if IAF id really going for a second MRCA and a american one im sure we might get LRASM maybe with a bit lesser range
Do you know that the LRASM program was initially divided into LRASM-A and LRASM-B? A is what you see today. B was supposed to be a short-medium range Brahmos class missile.

B was canceled because the technology was not feasible while being very expensive.

The US doesn't have a Brahmos class missile, and that's not because of choice. In fact, the US attempted to buy Russian KH-31. The sale was supposed to happen but the Russians canceled in the last minute. They realized the US doesn't have the technology so it was pointless to sell it to them.

yeah I know there was supersonic LRASM in the works, but it's not a need. I think it was more of luxury to try to develop a supersonic anti-ship missile.

as for KH-31 we wanted to buy those for test drones to shoot them down.

MA-31

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MA-31

we got Coyote now though for that role just as good as the KH-31 but a lot more expensive.

another loudmouth Indian.. nothing new.
keep marinating in ur own muck !

yeah I know there was supersonic LRASM in the works, but it's not a need. I think it was more of luxury to try to develop a supersonic anti-ship missile.

MA-31

we got Coyote now though for that role just as good as the KH-31 but a lot more expensive.

we are not gonna fight USA any time soon ! and who knows we may get LRASM via Israel !

keep marinating in ur own muck !

we are not gonna fight USA any time soon ! and who knows we may get LRASM via Israel !
Then it's better to start work on such a system now itself,we do require a stealth light weight air to surface cruise missile for our AMCA nd fgfa. Also I am not seeing any chance of US or any other foreign made LRASM or compatible missiles a in Indian armed forces,since mod wants not to import any foreign missiles for our armed forces.
My favourite is long range agm129 type long range stealth missiles.

Fight between Stealthy Subsonic and Supersonic cruise missile.
One is stealthy, and depends on its low RCS and stealth, to close enough for the final dive. Another one depends on its Sheer speed.

Pros of Supersonic over Sub sonic
1. Difficult to intercept, and give very less time for the counter measures.
2. For the target, which can move its position, it maximize the destruction, due to less time taken from launch to target.
3. The Sheer speed increases the destruction power.

Crons of supersonic over subsonic
1. Costly
2. Generate high temperature on its surface, and could be detected by passive infrared sensors.
3. More fuel required to burn, thus more weight, and size, and less range.

I think both of types compliment each other. When you required to target static long range target, than Subsonic have the advantage, and for the shorter range, or when the target could change its position Supersonic have the advantage.

Then it's better to start work on such a system now itself,we do require a stealth light weight air to surface cruise missile for our AMCA nd fgfa. Also I am not seeing any chance of US or any other foreign made LRASM or compatible missiles a in Indian armed forces,since mod wants not to import any foreign missiles for our armed forces.
My favourite is long range agm129 type long range stealth missiles.
thats why i mentioned via Israel !

thats why i mentioned via Israel !
Mod has policy that to cut short foreign dependency on missiles,the only area in which DRDO performer on par with world leaders. So we won't import such missiles rather we may pursue for indigenous development.

Mod has policy that to cut short foreign dependency on missiles,the only area in which DRDO performer on par with world leaders. So we won't import such missiles rather we may pursue for indigenous development.
not is all types of missiles. we dont have much to show in the field of SAM and BVR and anti tank missiles.

I think both of types compliment each other. When you required to target static long range target, than Subsonic have the advantage, and for the shorter range, or when the target could change its position Supersonic have the advantage.

Hi ; I wanted to Know ; since we would be buying SCALP with RAFALE

Now suppose a Target say Enemy radar complex and SAM sites have to be taken out

So Which Missile Should be fired FIRST

Scalp or Brahmos

I think that since Scalp is subsonic -- First fire the Scalp

And when enemy is taking counter measures Release the Brahmos which will SLAM into the target at super sonic speed

Time on Target can be synchronised

@MilSpec @Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @randomradio
@GURU DUTT @punit @topgun047 @#hydra#
@Nilgiri

Could you PLEASE answer this query --Which Missile should be fired FIRST for taking out a Target -- SCALP or BRAHMOS

Last edited:

MA-31

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/brahmos-...hmos-aerospace-md.436480/page-2#ixzz4CbTCKHGd
I don't think America with its mighty military needs to invest in supersonic missiles when hyper sonic are on the horizon.
The advantage of speed and brahmos is reduced time to target. the other is the cost. Its lower than other super sonic missiles as bang for a buck. Originally intended by the soviets to take out USNs boats.

Don't write stupid sh*t, kid.

The US did buy the KH-31, it wasn't to be used as an AShM. It was a target missile designated MA-31:

Did I say the MA-31s were for AShMs? Don't make up shit by yourself and then claim I'm wrong.

The fact is you didn't have this tech yourself, that you had to buy it from the Russians in the first place. When people stand up and claim a supersonic AShM isn't good enough, they forget that the countries that operate such missiles also operate subsonic missiles like the Harpoon, Exocet and Uran.

Don't know why you are so touchy when your own institute canceled the LRASM-B due to technical risks and financial difficulties.

Ever wondered why the British and French are now working on their own 'Brahmos' missile?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...e-three-times-as-fast-as-current-weapons.html

The MA-31 continued to serve as a Navy target missile until stocks were expended in 2007.

Yes, because the Russians did not provide ToT for the engine for production in the US. They supplied the engines and then stopped.

Instead the Americans bought two other technologies that the Russians were ahead in. LM bought the Yak-141's STOVL tech from Yakovlev and introduced that in the F-35B and NASA bought GLL Holod scramjet tech from CIAM which is being used in many scramjet programs in the US.

Now what? You're gonna claim I said the F-35B and the WaveRider were Russian programs?

The answer is neither of them. Brahmos would be an overkill for such operation, and should be used for the hardened and difficult target Infact, there is no rules involved in it, and depends on the conditions, availability, and the tactics, and should be changed to keep the enemy guessing.

Once all the emitter radars and SAM Tells are located, there are many ways for the SEAD -- Suppression of enemy Air Defence, and DEAD -- Destruction of Enemy Air Defence could be commenced by various ways.

First should be the high altitude Recce UAV to get the maximum information of the Radar Complex, its tactical frequency, its types, and EW countermeasures, and SAM batteries locations. And high altitude Aircraft such as MKI equipped with Recce pod, such as EL/L 2060 P www.iai.co.il/sip_storage/files/7/36837.pdf. which could SAR map 300 deep inside the enemy area.

Then the SEAD operation should be commenced. Which involves Tactical UAVs like Herons, and ARM Missiles like KH 31 and KH-58 missile, against SAM batteries.

For DEAD operations Long range glide bombs, Air launch cruise missile, PGMs like Spice 250, and even dump bombs dropped by low flying deep strike aircraft like Jaguar with Nav Attack could be used.

But if you specifically asking for use of Scalp, and Brahmos is concerned, then Brahmos NG should be fired from High altitude MKI from strandoff range for the hardened, or strong air defence or to target the highly Mobile Air defence system, and Scalp from the low altitude, stealthy Rafale for the deep strike installation.

Hi ; I wanted to Know ; since we would be buying SCALP with RAFALE

Now suppose a Target say Enemy radar complex and SAM sites have to be taken out

So Which Missile Should be fired FIRST

Scalp or Brahmos

I think that since Scalp is subsonic -- First fire the Scalp

And when enemy is taking counter measures Release the Brahmos which will SLAM into the target at super sonic speed

Time on Target can be synchronised

@MilSpec @Abingdonboy @PARIKRAMA @randomradio
@GURU DUTT @punit @topgun047 @#hydra#
@Nilgiri

Could you PLEASE answer this query --Which Missile should be fired FIRST for taking out a Target -- SCALP or BRAHMOS

Fire both. :D

Both missiles are used depending on the type of target. The SCALP can be used against stationary targets that are exposed. Brahmos can be used against hardened targets like bunkers and underground hangars.

In certain cases, when you want more stealth, you use SCALP. When you don't have a lot of time to attack a target, you use the Brahmos.

Their long range cousins will be the supersonic LRCM (1000Km) and subsonic Nirbhay (1500Km).

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom