What's new

Book Review of Kuldip Nayar 's book 'Beyond The Lines - An Autobiography'

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I was very disappointed that due to very, very slow Internet access, I was unable to listen to the book review with any degree of audibility. Is there a printed version available, or can one be made available for those of us who are bandwidth challenged?

@Joe Shearer : I hope you remember the story once you told to a member here on PDF "the bear and the hunter" If I may ask what is he source of that story.

I was very disappointed that due to very, very slow Internet access, I was unable to listen to the book review with any degree of audibility. Is there a printed version available, or can one be made available for those of us who are bandwidth challenged?
You didn't miss much.

According to Nayar:

# Lal Bahadur Sashtri started the 1965 war to improve his image (pg 207).

# When Indian forces reached Ichhogil canal, Pakistan fought back so fiercely that India had to withdraw '7 mile'. (pg 208)

# For Pakistan, the war was a 'Jihad' against 'kuffr'. For example one young officer refused to accept Hindu blood and died.

# General Choudhury, on why Lahore was not captured:
- Objective of 1965 war was not to conquer Pakistan. Objective was to create 'psychological impact' on Pakistan army through attrition.
- If captured, 10 lakh citizens of Lahore couldn't be fed.
(reviewer considered these as amusing excuses for India's failure to capture Lahore)
- IA was 'terrified' that Lahories would fight them to death. (according to reviewer this was the real reason)

# Pakistan managed media better.(reviewer interpreted that this corroborates that Pakistan won 1965 war, because the side that looses wouldn't be so open to media)

# After the war, LBS agreed to withdraw IA from Pakistan only if Pakistan pledged never to use force against India (reviewer interpreted that this was because India was terrified of PA) (pg 217)

Summary of the reviewer:
What the Pakistani writers wrote about 1965 is after all true and is corroborated by Indian writers. That is, Pakistan won 1965 war.

Oh the stupid, it burns....

@Joe Shearer : I hope you remember the story once you told to a member here on PDF "the bear and the hunter" If I may ask what is he source of that story.

My friend Daaniyal told the story first, on Insaniyat.

You didn't miss much.

According to Nayar:

# Lal Bahadur Sashtri started the 1965 war to improve his image (pg 207).

# When Indian forces reached Ichhogil canal, Pakistan fought back so fiercely that India had to withdraw '7 mile'. (pg 208)

# For Pakistan, the war was a 'Jihad' against 'kuffr'. For example one young officer refused to accept Hindu blood and died.

# General Choudhury, on why Lahore was not captured:
- Objective of 1965 war was not to conquer Pakistan. Objective was to create 'psychological impact' on Pakistan army through attrition.
- If captured, 10 lakh citizens of Lahore couldn't be fed.
(reviewer considered these as amusing excuses for India's failure to capture Lahore)
- IA was 'terrified' that Lahories would fight them to death. (according to reviewer this was the real reason)

# Pakistan managed media better.(reviewer interpreted that this corroborates that Pakistan won 1965 war, because the side that looses wouldn't be so open to media)

# After the war, LBS agreed to withdraw IA from Pakistan only if Pakistan pledged never to use force against India (reviewer interpreted that this was because India was terrified of PA) (pg 217)

Summary of the reviewer:
What the Pakistani writers wrote about 1965 is after all true and is corroborated by Indian writers. That is, Pakistan won 1965 war.

Oh the stupid, it burns....

If that is so, it is indeed incredibly stupid. I never had much regard for the Punjabi-centric and more than a little fatuous Kuldip Nayyar, this puts the lid on it.

Back
Top Bottom