Boeing to pitch ‘diet’ P-8 to Indian Navy

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Boeing to pitch ‘diet’ P-8 to Indian Navy

737-800_P-8_Poseidon.jpg

US defense major Boeing will be pitching a ‘diet’ version of the P-8 Poseidon aircraft in response to the Request for Information (RFI) issued by the Indian Navy for Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) Aircraft, due by the end of the year, next week.

Boeing has already begun work on the first of eight P-8I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft to be supplied to the Indian Navy, in a deal concluded in the beginning of 2009 at a cost of US $ 2.1 billion.

Company sources told StratPost that even though the derivative proposed for the MRMR RFI will look the same as the P-8I and be based on the 737 platform, it will have smaller tanks and a shorter range and will only have surface warfare capability. The P-8I is capable of both surface as well as sub-surface warfare.

The RFI also asks vendors if the aircraft can carry out electronic intelligence gathering and counter-measures, besides maritime patrol and search and rescue within an operational envelope of 350 nautical miles or almost 650 kilometers, as well as a patrol endurance of at least three and a half hours. It also specifies a requirement that the aircraft be capable of carrying at least two anti-ship missiles and a jamming pod.

As with the P-8I, the navy has specified in the RFI that certain pieces of equipment must be indigenous, like, IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) Interrogator with Secure Mode, MSS Terminal – BFE, Datalink and Speech Secrecy Equipment and vendors must indicate their commitment to integrate this equipment into the aircraft.

Boeing to pitch 'diet' P-8 to Indian Navy | StratPost

Just to clarify is this "diet" version different to the 8 P-8Is already on order or are the 8 on order more advanced than these "diet" ones offered?? So would IN be operating TWO different types ofmthe same plane??

Just to clarify is this "diet" version different to the 8 P-8Is already on order or are the 8 on order more advanced than these "diet" ones offered?? So would IN be operating TWO different types ofmthe same plane??

If they win yes.

It will make a lot of sense for the Indian Navy to have one common platform for all it's Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft. India is said to be interested in a total of 30 MPAs including the 8 P8Is ordered, which will eventually replace the Tupolev-142M aircraft that it currently operates. Rather than having the usual Indian logistics nightmare of servicing and keeping parts for several completely different platforms, India can save a lot of time, money and heartache by having one single aircraft with different levels of sophistication. This will also make training personnel easier and make integrating the different types of MPA into a network much more easier.

But then again, it all comes down to whether India is willing to go against it's current reluctance to put all it's eggs in one basket. There is no doubt that the P8 Poseidon series is going to be the best platform available anywhere for at least a few decades. The P3 Orion has been in service for almost 50 years and even then, many countries including Pakistan are queuing up to buy more of them. Considering that the Poseidon is still being developed; once it comes out, it will probably rule the seas for the first half of this century. So does emerging India now want to have just the very best, or will you still be held hostage to the worry that the Americans might suddenly turn hostile?

Last edited:
'diet' P-8I! I think along with upgrading current Bears India bought P-8I are enough for our requirements. Also there were news that IN may order 12 more -8I. If it costs substantially less than they should go for it.

As with the P-8I, the navy has specified in the RFI that certain pieces of equipment must be indigenous, like, IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) Interrogator with Secure Mode, MSS Terminal – BFE, Datalink and Speech Secrecy Equipment and vendors must indicate their commitment to integrate this equipment into the aircraft.

This shows that all the aircrafts including C-130J and C-17 will get indegenous systems and India's reluctance to sign CISMOA.

These are meant for the medium range maritime patrol aircraft competitions, P8I initially was meant for the long range. This competition was issued before, with competitiors like the EMB 145 (same that IAF will procure as base of the DRDO AWACS), Dassault Falcon, Airbus 295, so way smaller aircrafts like the Boeing 737. That's why Boeing now offers basically a smaller (lighter) version of the same 737, in this competition too.

IMO that hardly makes sense, because it still should be more expensive to operate this smaller 737 version, than the lighter jet, or even prop aircrafts. If IN wants the same techs, they simply can order more normal P8Is, without the lack of any capability. Which is also kind of strange, because what's the sense of an maritime patrol aircraft, if it can't attack subs?

'diet' P-8I! I think along with upgrading current Bears India bought P-8I are enough for our requirements. Also there were news that IN may order 12 more -8I. If it costs substantially less than they should go for it.

No, they rumors said 4 more for a total of 12 P8Is, not 12 more.

I wanted NIMROD as MRMR..Guess will only see P-8Is in IN color..
BTW Tu-142 also act as bombers..?

No, they rumors said 4 more for a total of 12 P8Is, not 12 more.

According to CNS Navy Day Press meet, this is what the chief had to say about the P8i-

Twelve P 8I Poseidon Maritime Patrol Aircraft are planned for induction.

So, the 8+4 theory is not a rumor.

Though, I agree that without the Anti sub surface warfare ability, MRMR makes little sense. It would be interesting to know what requirements the navy has issued for this contract.

I wanted NIMROD as MRMR..Guess will only see P-8Is in IN color..
BTW Tu-142 also act as bombers..?

The Nimrod MRA4 has been cancled as it is almost 800 million overbudget and still not ready. the P8I is the only one of the latest platforms which is up and flying ,
the Tu142 can act as a bormer , it can carry on board moskit missiles and probally the bramoss too.

212830829.jpg

Nice new @BoeingDefense art of the Indian P-8I over islands

It will make a lot of sense for the Indian Navy to have one common platform for all it's Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft. India is said to be interested in a total of 30 MPAs including the 8 P8Is ordered, which will eventually replace the Tupolev-142M aircraft that it currently operates. Rather than having the usual Indian logistics nightmare of servicing and keeping parts for several completely different platforms, India can save a lot of time, money and heartache by having one single aircraft with different levels of sophistication. This will also make training personnel easier and make integrating the different types of MPA into a network much more easier.

But then again, it all comes down to whether India is willing to go against it's current reluctance to put all it's eggs in one basket. There is no doubt that the P8 Poseidon series is going to be the best platform available anywhere for at least a few decades. The P3 Orion has been in service for almost 50 years and even then, many countries including Pakistan are queuing up to buy more of them. Considering that the Poseidon is still being developed; once it comes out, it will probably rule the seas for the first half of this century. So does emerging India now want to have just the very best, or will you still be held hostage to the worry that the Americans might suddenly turn hostile?

Most likely there will be a follow on order for more P-8's, we do not expect US to turn hostile given the new levels of engagement and the removal of key dual-tech sanctions. You are right the Poseidon will dominate the market for years to come there is nothing in the market to match it or going to be.

Back
Top Bottom