What's new

Boeing to pitch ‘diet’ P-8 to Indian Navy

Guys one small doubt..
Can this P8i hunt Nuclear submarines..all SSN,SSBN,SSk,etc,etc...
If it cannot it's just a waste...
please clear my doubt

Guys one small doubt..
Can this P8i hunt Nuclear submarines..all SSN,SSBN,SSk,etc,etc...
If it cannot it's just a waste...
please clear my doubt

Submarine means all types of submarines including SSN, SSBN, SSGN, SSK etc. Its the future submarine hunter of the US navy, so hunting of nuclear submarine is a must and its the best maritime aircraft so far.

Indian Navy issued RFI for 6 MRMR aircraft , with an estimated cost of 1 Billion USD , while Indian coast guard is also looking for 6 MRMR aircraft costing around 600 Million USD
Compared to that cost of 8 P8I aircraft for the navy is 2.1 Billion USD
So if boeing can offer a diet version of P8I which fullfills the requirement set out in RFI then it is well and good
considering the fact that it will ensure lower cost of mentainence due to commonality within the fleet

True for cost of maintening the same systems, but what's with the higher unit and operational costs? Even a possibly shorter 737 will be clearly costlier than a EMB 145, or even a twin engine turboprob like the EADS Casa 295, can the commonality equal these costs?

Boeing P8I:
P8-A_index.jpg

Emb 145 MP and DRDO AWACS:
emb-145-mp.jpg

images&

EADS Casa 295MP:
AIR_C-295MP_Chile_Concept_lg.jpg

The EMB platform is cheaper than the P8I "light", we can use commonality of systems from DRDO AWACS too, it will be more useful in the MP role and seems to fulfill the RFI as well:

The EMB 145 MP, EMB 145’s designation for maritime applications, features the following versions:

• Maritime Patrol
• Maritime Patrol and Anti-Surface Unit Warfare (ASuW)
• Maritime Patrol and Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW)

In a more and more demanding tactical environment, Maritime Patrol/Surveillance Aircraft have become multipurpose platforms and are required to carry out the following missions:

• Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW)
• Anti-Surface Unit Warfare (ASuW)
• Anti-Ship Surveillance and Targeting (ASST)
• Maritime Surveillance (MS)
• Electronic Warfare (EW), Electronic Support Measures (ESM), Electronic Intelligence (ELINT)
• Communication Intelligence (COMINT)

• Search and Rescue (SAR)
• Law enforcement (anti-smuggling, anti-piracy, anti-drug)
• Fisheries patrol

• Sovereignty, Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) Surveillance

Embraer Defense Systems

Not to forget that IN is searching for a shore based AWACS aircraft, where this platform with the DRDO AWACS should be a strong contender too.

Last edited:
Superb video!!!! It will be difficult for subs and ships to hide from P-8I.

Nice PR, but we shouldn't hype it too much, because it is only one asset in the MP/ASW role of IN and we have very very big blue water areas surrounding India. These 12 P8I alone will not do it, only in combination with lots of IN and ICG vessels, UAVs and helicopters they will be effective.
I mean how good are the chances that a P8I, in high altitude and several hundred Km/h will find a small boat with terrorists?

Last edited:
Nice PR, but will it really be shouldn't hype it too much, because it is only one asset in the MP/ASW role of IN and we have very very big blue water areas surrounding India. These 12 P8I alone will not do it, only in combination with lots of IN and ICG vessels, UAVs and helicopters they will be effective.
I mean how good are the chances that a P8I, in high altitude and several hundred Km/h will find a small boat with terrorists?
I thought P8I is to hunt Nuke & Conven. subs and Surface warships and kill them

I thought P8I is to hunt Nuke & Conven. subs and Surface warships and kill them

Of course, by it has special system to search and detect them and they look obviously different to normal trawlers, or boats that terrorists, or pirats uses. To fight those we can't use it, fighters like the video shows, therefor we still need numbers of patrol vessels and helicopters.

It will make a lot of sense for the Indian Navy to have one common platform for all it's Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft. India is said to be interested in a total of 30 MPAs including the 8 P8Is ordered, which will eventually replace the Tupolev-142M aircraft that it currently operates. Rather than having the usual Indian logistics nightmare of servicing and keeping parts for several completely different platforms, India can save a lot of time, money and heartache by having one single aircraft with different levels of sophistication. This will also make training personnel easier and make integrating the different types of MPA into a network much more easier.

But then again, it all comes down to whether India is willing to go against it's current reluctance to put all it's eggs in one basket. There is no doubt that the P8 Poseidon series is going to be the best platform available anywhere for at least a few decades. The P3 Orion has been in service for almost 50 years and even then, many countries including Pakistan are queuing up to buy more of them. Considering that the Poseidon is still being developed; once it comes out, it will probably rule the seas for the first half of this century. So does emerging India now want to have just the very best, or will you still be held hostage to the worry that the Americans might suddenly turn hostile?

Hostage.

The Navy had Sea Kings before the embargos hit, and couldn't fly the birds without spares.

It's no good having the best if the best can't fly; if they can't fly, they can't fight. That means owning the world's most expensive road-rollers.

It's no good having the best if the best can't fly; if they can't fly, they can't fight. That means owning the world's most expensive road-rollers.

:lol:....good one...

Nice PR, but will it really be shouldn't hype it too much, because it is only one asset in the MP/ASW role of IN and we have very very big blue water areas surrounding India. These 12 P8I alone will not do it, only in combination with lots of IN and ICG vessels, UAVs and helicopters they will be effective.

You are rite dude. Thats how IN working. After 12 P-8I now medium range MPA and we have upgraded Bears with latest technologies. IN bought good number of Heron and Searcher mk-II UAVs. Also NRUAV is coming. DRDO developing some advanced long endurance UAVs. IN inducted naval Dhruv, new Sea King and order are there for number of new choppers. Over all we are in good position and will be in much better position with in next 2/3 years.

In the video posted by benny you can see at 2:25 P-8I's MX-20HD electro optical and infrared imaging sensors pod detecting small boats at long ranges. It can provide broad area littoral operation capabilities. It will certainly add punch to the anti-terrorism operation.

MX-20HD

The MX-20HD will provide immediate situational awareness for broad-area maritime and littoral operation missions from the P-8A Poseidon. This latest generation of proven MX-20 technology will supply operators with improved long-range subject detection and identification capability, while providing positive geographical references and the ability to automatically locate, point, track and focus with unparalleled accuracy.

The imaging capability of the MX-20HD will enhance the U.S. Navy’s overall mission capability, aiding in the detection of critical intel and fine details through the sharp colors, bold contrasts and cleaner images that WESCAM’s 1080p HD technology delivers. “L-3 WESCAM’s participation in the Navy’s P-8A Poseidon program is an example of how today’s forces rely on advanced R&D investment to develop their mission capabilities,” said Paul Jennison, L-3 WESCAM vice president, government sales and business development. “As naval missions intensify, front-line personnel need higher resolution EO/IR technology to perform their surveillance and observation tasks. WESCAM’s HD technology leads the industry, offering true 1080p resolution and highly detailed intelligence when performing longer-range imaging tasks.”

ASDWire <> L-3 WESCAM to Supply New MX-20HD EO/IR Imaging Sensors to US Navy

more.....

The WESCAM™ MX-20 True HD

The MX-20 HD is the world’s most powerful HD surveillance turret. Equipped with True HD 1080p technology, Enhanced Area Processing (ELAP), and the highest level of stabilization on all 7 sensors, the MX-20 delivers outstanding operational recognition and identification ranges in True HD resolution.

clip_image002_0005.jpg

L-3 Communications WESCAM

You are rite dude. Thats how IN working. After 12 P-8I now medium range MPA and we have upgraded Bears with latest technologies. IN bought good number of Heron and Searcher mk-II UAVs. Also NRUAV is coming. DRDO developing some advanced long endurance UAVs. IN inducted naval Dhruv, new Sea King and order are there for number of new choppers. Over all we are in good position and will be in much better position with in next 2/3 years.

Yes, at least in the surveillance field they are on a good way.

In the video posted by benny you can see at 2:25 P-8I's MX-20HD electro optical and infrared imaging sensors pod detecting small boats at long ranges. It can provide broad area littoral operation capabilities. It will certainly add punch to the anti-terrorism operation.

That's what I meant, P8I will fly high and fast and it will be difficult to distinguish a normal fish trawler, from a boat with pirates, or terrorists on it. That's why we need not only these highly capable aircrafts, but numbers of lower end aircrafts, helicopters and patrol vessels too, especially if we want to be the major navy in the Indian Ocean.

I have always believed that littoral water surveillance should be done by Coast Guards and deep sea surveillance by Navy..But for this we will need to provide coast guards much more advanced equipments like Fast patrol boats in nos.. surveillance helis, some Unmanned Helis like Fire Scouts...But the state our armed forces are in, all this is too much to ask..

@ sancho and others
Why are you guys comparing AWACS, DRDO AWACS comparing with P8I, although agreed, that to some extent P8I does the same thing as those two but they are meant for different purposes.
Its not purchased keeping this in view. It will serve a different purpose.
For what you are worried, here's a good news for you.
Saab receives order for coastal surveillance system in India | Cision Wire

Indian defence procurement sometimes look confused..they raise an RFI to every defence contractor in the world only to run through a long process of political tug of war finally in the end someone wins through kick back. Not any different than an Indian woman on shopping, she will go to every shop for checking price only to end up buying one over priced saree!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom