What's new

Boeing to pitch ‘diet’ P-8 to Indian Navy

According to CNS Navy Day Press meet, this is what the chief had to say about the P8i-

So, the 8+4 theory is not a rumor.

Though, I agree that without the Anti sub surface warfare ability, MRMR makes little sense. It would be interesting to know what requirements the navy has issued for this contract.

Ok theory, the bottom line was that 12 is the maximum number and not 12 more will be procured.
According to the article:

The RFI also asks vendors if the aircraft can carry out electronic intelligence gathering and counter-measures, besides maritime patrol and search and rescue within an operational envelope of 350 nautical miles or almost 650 kilometers, as well as a patrol endurance of at least three and a half hours. It also specifies a requirement that the aircraft be capable of carrying at least two anti-ship missiles and a jamming pod.

I don't see anything that would make a 737 really needed and these smaller and more cost-effective aircrafts couldn't do, but maybe somebody can find the real RFI. Shouldn't it be posted on an official website too (and btw, what about the MMRCA RFI)?

i don't think Boeing qualify for this because of their larger platform.Here's the better option EADS CASA 295 MARITIME PATROL VARIANT.

if the 'diet' version costs significantly less i think IN should go for another 10 of them....

Its better to go for Tu-142 , if available..They have got the range,speed and above all firepower which P-8 will never have..

Its better to go for Tu-142 , if available..They have got the range,speed and above all firepower which P-8 will never have.
I have grown up watching this plane.... I think I will agree with the P8 of IN.
Mind U it is not that Tu-142 is a bad option but its time is over.

and will only have surface warfare capability. The P-8I is capable of both surface as well as sub-surface warfare

Thats stupid. Indians are getting scaled down version without sub warfare capability.

'diet' P-8I! I think along with upgrading current Bears India bought P-8I are enough for our requirements. Also there were news that IN may order 12 more -8I. If it costs substantially less than they should go for it.

This shows that all the aircrafts including C-130J and C-17 will get indegenous systems and India's reluctance to sign CISMOA.

On the button!
CISMOA has been and still is a "No-No" as far as GOI is concerned, and the earlier "HooHaa" about it (CISMOA) notwithstanding; MoD has alternative equipment choices lined up.
All in all, the CISMOA business seems to be a storm in a tea-cup.

On the button!
CISMOA has been and still is a "No-No" as far as GOI is concerned, and the earlier "HooHaa" about it (CISMOA) notwithstanding; MoD has alternative equipment choices lined up.
All in all, the CISMOA business seems to be a storm in a tea-cup.

Its actually US for whom CISMOA is important. Thats why they were pressing hard for it. Its good to see that whether Indian or foreign aircraft armed forces going for Indian communication, IFF etc. This systems are very crucial and prone to be bugged.

No, they rumors said 4 more for a total of 12 P8Is, not 12 more.

Thanks for the correction sancho. I have mistaken with the number 12. Thats why surprised why they need so many maritime aircrafts.

Thats stupid. Indians are getting scaled down version without sub warfare capability.

Indian Navy issued RFI for 6 MRMR aircraft , with an estimated cost of 1 Billion USD , while Indian coast guard is also looking for 6 MRMR aircraft costing around 600 Million USD
Compared to that cost of 8 P8I aircraft for the navy is 2.1 Billion USD
So if boeing can offer a diet version of P8I which fullfills the requirement set out in RFI then it is well and good
considering the fact that it will ensure lower cost of mentainence due to commonality within the fleet

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom