What's new

BMD to defend Indian assets from Pakistan, China nuclear attack.

But I think it was underground.
It was an air-burst.

The Tsar Bomba detonated at 11:32 (Moscow time) on October 30, 1961, over the Mityushikha nuclear testing range (Sukhoy Nos Zone C), north of the Arctic Circle over the Novaya Zemlya archipelago in the Arctic Sea. The bomb was dropped from an altitude of 10.5 kilometres (6.5 mi); it was designed to detonate at a height of 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) over the land surface (4.2 kilometres (2.6 mi) over sea level) by barometric sensors.

Last edited:
I say the one which busted in air was of 15 MT and the one tested under ground was of higher power May be around 50MT.
Do you know how deep a 50MT bomb would burried to contain the explosion?

Underground nuclear tests must be buried at large depths and carefully sealed in order to fully contain the explosion. Shallower bursts produce large craters and intense local fallout. The situation shown here is for an explosion with a 1 KT yield and the depths shown are in feet. Even a 0.1 KT burst must be buried at a depth of approximately 230 feet to be fully contained. (Adapted from Terry Wallace, with permission.) [2]

sm_crater_depth.gif

I say the one which busted in air was of 15 MT and the one tested under ground was of higher power May be around 50MT.
And please come again , TSAR BOMBA (50 MT) was an airburst and It was detonated at a much higher hieght than it would have If it was actually used in a conflict to minimise Local fallout

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom