What's new

Blast in Lahore's Z Block area Reported

Tv channels must be more responsible in their duties and avoid to aired any rumours in news without valid facts.

It is yet not confirmed that the blast was a terrorist activity.Some are saying it was a generator blast.

LIVE
8 killed in bomb blast in Lahore's Defence area

DAWN.COM | IMRAN GABOL — UPDATED 9 minutes ago
48 COMMENTS
PRINT

A powerful explosion rocked an under-construction building in Lahore's busy Defence Y block area, killing at least eight people and leaving 35 injured.

Another explosion was heard near the Gulberg area, but no details have emerged on the nature of the second blast. However, Rescue 1122 officials and Law Minister Rana Sanaullah said there was no blast in Gulberg.

Y block explosion was a bomb
“It was a bomb attack,” Nayab Haider, a spokesman for the provincial Punjab police said about the first explosion in Y block.

Punjab government authorities initially claimed that the blast was the result of a "generator explosion", but Geo News quoting police sources said the blast was a "self-timed device with about 10kg of explosives". Lahore's mayor Captain (r) Mubashir Javed Malik said the explosion occurred in an under-construction building.

What we know so far
  • At least 8 people killed, 35 injured

• The blast was a 'bomb attack'

• 10kg of explosives used in the blast: sources

• Search operation started in the area
The area where the first blast occurred is a busy locality with several commercial offices and eateries. Footage shows nearby offices including HBL, Toni and Guy, Gloria Jeans, Bombay Chowpatty, Jalalsons among others.

Extent of damage
TV footage shows windows of several offices and eateries in the commercial area shattered by shrapnel. Windscreens of cars parked over 100 feet away from the building were shattered and there was considerable damage to the cars' bodies.

Residents and nearby shoppers panicked as the explosion was heard, and eyewitnesses described people evacuating buildings and running from the scene of the incident.

Broken crockery and furniture was strewn on the road in the area and the road appeared to be carpeted by shattered glass.

TV footage shows shattered windscreens in cars parked nearby as well as rubble from the damaged building strewn across the road.

'People were crushed'
A Rescue 1122 official said 35 people are injured and being treated in hospitals, with some sustaining critical wounds. "The injuries are severe... the magnitude of the blast - the impact - is very high. It is a sensitive time so i don't want to make any statement about the nature of the blast. One storey has collapsed and people were crushed underneath."

A witness who works at a bank in the market told Reuters that his workplace was shaken by a “frightening” explosion.

“We left the building and saw that the motor-bikes parked outside were on fire and all the windows in the surrounding buildings were shattered,” the witness, Mohammad Khurram, said.

Search operation ongoing
The market had been sealed by law enforcement personnel and a search operation is ongoing. Teams from Punjab Forensic Science Laboratory had reached the spot to collect evidence.

Parents were also told to take their children back home as schools in the area had been asked to shut down for the day, DawnNews reported.

Capital City Police Officer Lahore is present at the site of the blast, DawnNews reported. CCTV footage has been requested from all shops in the area. DawnNews reported.

Punjab law minister Rana Sanaullah said after the blast: "There was no reason to target the building. I have been informed that plaza was not inaugurated yet."

The Punjab Government on its official Twitter page had initially claimed the explosion was caused by a generator blast.

The report of the blast came as cities across Pakistan were put on high alert after a spate of deadly terror attacks.

A day earlier, the military announced a massive urban counter-terrorism operation after a week of bombings in Punjab, Sindh, Fata, Khyber Pakhtunwa and Balochistan took at least 100 lives.

Scenes from the blast site
58ae90da61fcc.jpg

58ae90da60f6c.jpg

58ae90da2cc4c.jpg

58ae8fac97a99.png

58ae8f71d131c.png

This is a developing story that is being updated as the situation evolves. Initial reports in the media can sometimes be inaccurate. We will strive to ensure timeliness and accuracy by relying on credible sources such as concerned, qualified authorities and our staff reporters.

As per my understanding of this case. This seems to be issue of property dispute. Because why in the world someone wants to bomb the under construction building.

Heard recent report that there was a gas leak in the area

As per my understanding of this case. This seems to be issue of property dispute. Because why in the world someone wants to bomb the under construction building.
R.I.P
But why someone will bomb an area because of a property issue??

I hope it was just a gas cylinder. Or a pressure cooker with no one injured or dead. God willing.

More than 5 people are dead. And you are calling it property disputed? WTH...

Back
Top Bottom