What's new

Biker's Lounge

They will still ask for an appraisal of its sale value and then levy almost 130% of the value in various taxes. Plus getting clearance for packages from India is notoriously difficult, you have to go through a lot of custom hoops.

Think about this option then. At least explore.

Reason I'm saying - out here in India (and I guess these are universal depreciation norms), a vehicle is depreciated by 15% when it leaves showroom, then 10% at end of 1st year, so it loses 25% of its value (ex-showroom price) by the end of the first year, and an additional 10% every year thereafter.

The price of Bullets exploded just about 6-7 years ago. Exponentially every year thereafter, as sales too exploded. From annual sales of 25000 bikes a year for decades after the 1950s, suddenly they started selling more and more bikes with the advent of the Unit Construction Engine (UCE), such that their waiting periods went up to a absurd 9 months for the 500s, and they had to sent up a completely new plant to meet the demand (which is still inadequate).

Will you believe it if I told you that Standard 500s used to cost Rs. 70,000, and the Lean Burn Machismo LB500 cost close to a lac. This was till 2009-2010, before the company simply went into stratosphere.

Today Royal Enfield sells more than 300,000 bikes in a year in India and around the world, and this number is still growing. As are their prices, with 535 cc Continental GT costing about 2.25 lacs on road in India today.

Point I'm making is that the older Bullets, like one of mine, would be worth (per assessment claims of Insurance companies - IDV), less than 10-15,000 bucks. Though in the market there are crazy offers of 15-20 times that amount for the rare collector pieces (future classics) like the Standard 500 and the LB 500 (favorite of the Israelis in the mountains).

I actually tried looking into the matter. However, not only will it be difficult to secure clearance for a vehicle from India
Well RE Bullets are available in gulf countries like UAE, Saudia etc. Why not import from there?? Don't know if it's very expensive in these countries. Royal Enfield

Well RE Bullets are available in gulf countries like UAE, Saudia etc. Why not import from there?? Don't know if it's very expensive in these countries. Royal Enfield

3+ times the price in India. We had a guy from Oman in our club, who took his Lightning 535 home with him when he moved back. And up-rated it to a 612 fire breathing monster now.

20110714214803591035337_137089902985498_100000534673822_273735_3885324_n.jpg

I've been part of a bullet club and also toured (short tours) around back few years. This is essentially a boozers club (Royal Cochin Bulls for eg). I've lived the life in a Bullet mechanic's den for years when I had the machine. No wonder a Chaiwala was nearby as he knows anyone with bullet will have to visit mechanic at least once a week. Another wasteful activity with CI bullets are modifying parts for durability. For e.g. custom bronze valve guides, heavy crank loading etc etc. When the whole machine is essentially a Old school English tech from the 1940's, what is the worth spending extra penny. Don't know about UCE Enfield motorcycles. I think the vanity of owning a bullet has lost these days as every wanna be kiddos rising bullets as if it's a Yamaha RX100.

Not only are they more expensive, but the duty structure remains the same albeit making it easier to get the bike processed.

Think about this option then. At least explore.

Reason I'm saying - out here in India (and I guess these are universal depreciation norms), a vehicle is depreciated by 15% when it leaves showroom, then 10% at end of 1st year, so it loses 25% of its value (ex-showroom price) by the end of the first year, and an additional 10% every year thereafter.

The price of Bullets exploded just about 6-7 years ago. Exponentially every year thereafter, as sales too exploded. From annual sales of 25000 bikes a year for decades after the 1950s, suddenly they started selling more and more bikes with the advent of the Unit Construction Engine (UCE), such that their waiting periods went up to a absurd 9 months for the 500s, and they had to sent up a completely new plant to meet the demand (which is still inadequate).

Will you believe it if I told you that Standard 500s used to cost Rs. 70,000, and the Lean Burn Machismo LB500 cost close to a lac. This was till 2009-2010, before the company simply went into stratosphere.

Today Royal Enfield sells more than 300,000 bikes in a year in India and around the world, and this number is still growing. As are their prices, with 535 cc Continental GT costing about 2.25 lacs on road in India today.

Point I'm making is that the older Bullets, like one of mine, would be worth (per assessment claims of Insurance companies - IDV), less than 10-15,000 bucks. Though in the market there are crazy offers of 15-20 times that amount for the rare collector pieces (future classics) like the Standard 500 and the LB 500 (favorite of the Israelis in the mountains).

Doc, you are a genius. I'll have an importer I know look into this matter and then I'll see if the matter can be sorted out differently.

Not really. High taxes on imported luxury items serve to increase government revenue. :D

That is pretty much the only reason, but I think that the duty structure should at least be revised from time to time. These values are intact from the time when the PKR was still pegged to the dollar and thus the exchange rate went something to the tune of 16:1 but now the whole thing has been turned on its head when a single dollar is worth PKR 100.

That is pretty much the only reason, but I think that the duty structure should at least be revised from time to time. These values are intact from the time when the PKR was still pegged to the dollar and thus the exchange rate went something to the tune of 16:1 but now the whole thing has been turned on its head when a single dollar is worth PKR 100.

The government is just as poor now when the exchange rate is 108 to the dollar as it was when the rate was 16 to the dollar, and therefore just as hungry for revenue, if not more. Obviously, anybody who wants to ride a Bullet or Harley rather than a CD70 must be rich, and therefore must pay his/her fair share to the national coffers. After all, it is the patriotic thing to do, isn't it? :D

Doc, you are a genius. I'll have an importer I know look into this matter and then I'll see if the matter can be sorted out differently.

In the crate in which the bike comes over, you can happily get enough spares to keep the bike running for at least 10 years (normal service spares + wear/tear consumables + critical chassis/engine parts) PLUS what OE parts are needed to refurbish the bike to better than showroom spec. All you need is a workshop manual and a good mechanic and plater/buffer/painter, time, patience, and readiness to get your hands dirty.

Its probably the last of a breed, which does not age and can be restored to factory spec.

Very very few of the new age plastic bikes can come back to 70% of their youth once having been through the ravages of time and our weather and roads and fuel.

There is a lot to be said about crude agricultural machinery and desi loha/real steel! :)

The government is just as poor now when the exchange rate is 108 to the dollar as it was when the rate was 16 to the dollar, and therefore just as hungry for revenue, if not more. Obviously, anybody who wants to ride a Bullet or Harley rather than a CD70 must be rich, and therefore must pay his/her fair share to the national coffers. After all, it is the patriotic thing to do, isn't it? :D

Touche my good man, now I feel like a heel for not importing enough bikes :p:

In the crate in which the bike comes over, you can happily get enough spares to keep the bike running for at least 10 years (normal service spares + wear/tear consumables + critical chassis/engine parts) PLUS what OE parts are needed to refurbish the bike to better than showroom spec. All you need is a workshop manual and a good mechanic and plater/buffer/painter, time, patience, and readiness to get your hands dirty.

Its probably the last of a breed, which does not age and can be restored to factory spec.

Very very few of the new age plastic bikes can come back to 70% of their youth once having been through the ravages of time and our weather and roads and fuel.

There is a lot to be said about crude agricultural machinery and desi loha/real steel! :)

You are a gem of a person, Doc! I can't tell you how humbled I am by your generous offer for help.

Touche my good man, now I feel like a heel for not importing enough bikes :p:

If only there were more people like you paying taxes, Pakistan would not be short of money. :D

If only there were more people like you paying taxes, Pakistan would not be short of money. :D

I already have the rare honour of being one of the million or so suckers who actually file their taxes and now you will coax me into paying custom duties while importing bikes as a national service. You so dearly want to see me on the streets, don't you? :cry:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom