Biggest Brain Drains: India Gets Nearly Two-Thirds of U.S. H-1Bs

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndoCarib

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
As the fate of the H-1B visa program rests with the U.S. Congress, a lot of Indians -- at least 168,367 of them -- are losing sleep over proposed changes to the guest worker rules.

That's the number of Indians whose H-1B visa petitions were approved in the year ending in September 2012, according to a recent report by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. While it's no surprise that India gets the lion's share of these visas designed for skilled workers such as engineers, the latest figure represents 64 percent of the total, up from 58 percent the year before.

In other words, the H-1B stakes are only growing for Asia's third-largest economy.

The U.S. Senate passed an immigration bill in June that would increase the annual H-1B cap, but also raise the visa cost by thousands of dollars, which could hit India's big outsourcing firms. That's causing many restless nights for foreigners who are banking on employment in the U.S. and the money that's sent back home. Tighter rules could sap up to $8 billion from India's teetering economy, JPMorgan Chase estimated.

Still, what the final law will look like and when it might happen aren't yet clear. House Republicans have delayed consideration of immigration bills until the fall.

Regardless of the outcome, the latest data point to India's ever-growing stake in H-1Bs. Its share of the visas grew in 2012, while the next nine countries topping the list shrank, compared with the average over the previous three years, according to Bloomberg Rankings.

Here's a look at the top 10 countries contributing to the U.S. brain gain. The first set of numbers shows the total number of H-1B approved petitions for 2012 (% of total). The second set shows the annual average of approvals for 2009-2011 (% of total).

1. India: 168,367 (64%); 120,762 (54%)

2. China: 19,850 (7.6%); 20,581 (9.1%)

3. Canada: 7,999 (3%); 8,742 (3.9%)

4. Philippines: 5,304 (2%); 7,479 (3.3%)

5. South Korea: 4,579 (1.7%); 6,427 (2.9%)

6. U.K.: 3,535 (1.3%); 4,219 (1.9%)

7. Mexico: 3,047 (1.2%); 3,150 (1.4%)

8. Japan: 2,542 (1%); 3,293 (1.5%)

9. Taiwan: 2,387 (0.9%); 2,838 (1.3%)

10. France: 2,232 (0.9%); 2,374 (1.1%)

Biggest Brain Drains: India Gets Nearly Two-Thirds of U.S. H-1Bs - Bloomberg

1. India: 168,367 (64%); 120,762 (54%)

2. China: 19,850 (7.6%); 20,581 (9.1%)

3. Canada: 7,999 (3%); 8,742 (3.9%)

4. Philippines: 5,304 (2%); 7,479 (3.3%)

5. South Korea: 4,579 (1.7%); 6,427 (2.9%)

6. U.K.: 3,535 (1.3%); 4,219 (1.9%)

7. Mexico: 3,047 (1.2%); 3,150 (1.4%)

8. Japan: 2,542 (1%); 3,293 (1.5%)

9. Taiwan: 2,387 (0.9%); 2,838 (1.3%)

10. France: 2,232 (0.9%); 2,374 (1.1%)

Biggest Brain Drains: India Gets Nearly Two-Thirds of U.S. H-1Bs - Bloomberg

Such a great disparity, something fishy?

:yay: around 17000 ppl going thr every year? taking thr familes with them so around 50000 ppl going every year , even half of them get settled in USA :D within next 50 year US of A would become US of I . :lol:

Based on the results of the 2010 US Census by the US Census Bureau, the population of Asian Indians in the United States grew from almost 1,678,765 in 2000 to 2,843,391 in 2010: a growth rate of 69.37%, the highest for any Asian American community. According to the results of the 2010 census, Indians are a large ethnic group of Asian Americans.

0.9% of the population are Asian Indians: US Census Bureau report - Hindustan Times

Based on the results of the 2010 US Census by the US Census Bureau, the population of Asian Indians in the United States grew from almost 1,678,765 in 2000 to 2,843,391 in 2010: a growth rate of 69.37%, the highest for any Asian American community. According to the results of the 2010 census, Indians are a large ethnic group of Asian Americans.

0.9% of the population are Asian Indians: US Census Bureau report - Hindustan Times

ok , so u wanna say we can make it in less then 50 years? :D

We dont wanna make it USI. Yes, we would like to see Indians dominate American politics, economy and culture in less than 50 years.

:partay: if indian gonna do all this , why not make US of A to US of I. :yay: sounds good. and this what it was suppose to be. after all land belongs to ''indians'' if u know what I mean.

:yay: around 17000 ppl going thr every year? taking thr familes with them so around 50000 ppl going every year , even half of them get settled in USA :D within next 50 year US of A would become US of I . :lol:

Also @IndoCarib. Actually the Indians going to USA become more American than Americans themselves. My cousin who is USA since 20 years and a scientist in a defense related company. When asked by me jokingly if he could pass on some technologies to India if asked to he looked serious and vehemently said "NO", unlike some of our neighbors. That's why they are trusted there.

Last edited by a moderator:
:partay: if indian gonna do all this , why not make US of A to US of I. :yay: sounds good. and this what it was suppose to be. after all land belongs to ''indians'' if u know what I mean.

Right. Lets colonise US :yahoo:

Also @IndoCarib. Actually the Indians going to USA become more American than Americans themselves. My cousin who is USA since 20 years and a scientist in a defense related company. When asked by me jokingly if he could pass on some technologies to India if asked to he looked serious and vehemently said "NO", unlike some of our neighbors. That's why they are trusted there.

:yay: I don't care if they become marsian , all I care they should change the name as USI.:laughcry:

Right. Lets colonise US :yahoo:

:pop: just wait and watch brother just wait and watch. :lol: I ruined this thread. feels good:devil:

Such a great disparity, something fishy?

Chinese are second to india , but why would mighty Chinese want to go to US of A? the evil enemy of mighty china. this number should have been much lesser.

...and that is also the reason we should NOT trust Indian Americans, neo converts or ABCD's.

Chinese are second to india , but why would mighty Chinese want to go to US of A? the evil enemy of mighty china. this number should have been much lesser.

Yes China 2nd place, but huge disparity between 1st and 2nd place. 64% vs 7.6%.

Yes China 2nd place, but huge disparity between 1st and 2nd place. 64% vs 7.6%.

Obvious conclusion to be drawn is the Americans don't like the chinese and do not trust them. Now that you know the answer you should be able to sleep better. Or will you stay awake worrying about all those money you have invested in American bonds ?

Obvious conclusion to be drawn is the Americans don't like the chinese and do not trust them. Now that you know the answer you should be able to sleep better. Or will you stay awake worrying about all those money you have invested in American bonds ?

How can you jump to such conclusion if you don't have the data on the number of chinese who applied for H1B versus the number issued to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom