What's new

Betrayed, Arabized

We have nothing in common with Indians, period. Linguistically? QUOTE]

Nothing in common with any of them? Hate to say as a whitey, you all look alike to me ;)

Reminds me of a joke:

A rabbi is sitting on an airplane next to a Korean guy. After they have been flying together in silence for a while, the rabbi leans over and says, "You know, I've never forgiven you Chinese for what you did at Pearl Harbor."

The Korean looks shocked and replies, "What the hell are you talking about?!?!? It was the Japanese the bombed Pearl Harbor, not the Chinese. And besides, I'm not Chinese or Japanese, I'm Korean!"

The rabbi says, " Korean, Japanese, Chinese, what's the difference?"

A little while later, the Korean man says, "You know, I've never forgiven you Jews for sinking the Titanic." The rabbi looks confused and mad and says, "What are you talking about? The Jews didn't have anything to do with that! An iceberg sank the Titanic!"

The Korean guy replies, "Iceberg, Goldberg, Greenberg, what's the difference?"

On topic.... its so damn funny how indians try to push tht retarded crap tht "we are the same people"...... Opposite to us (Pakistanis).

Hell even in this thread a bangali and a south indian tamil is trying to convince us tht "we are the same people" when we clearly arent............SAD.

For some reason, Rafi, I cannot quote your reply but Indians have a fragile state of mind. Both of us must be careful and take this into consideration in order to prevent them going over the edge. I find it sad that Indians come on websites like PDF for no other reason but to proclaim they are similar to us when reality dictates, we have squat all in common!

Reminds me of a joke:

A rabbi is sitting on an airplane next to a Korean guy. After they have been flying together in silence for a while, the rabbi leans over and says, "You know, I've never forgiven you Chinese for what you did at Pearl Harbor."

The Korean looks shocked and replies, "What the hell are you talking about?!?!? It was the Japanese the bombed Pearl Harbor, not the Chinese. And besides, I'm not Chinese or Japanese, I'm Korean!"

The rabbi says, " Korean, Japanese, Chinese, what's the difference?"

A little while later, the Korean man says, "You know, I've never forgiven you Jews for sinking the Titanic." The rabbi looks confused and mad and says, "What are you talking about? The Jews didn't have anything to do with that! An iceberg sank the Titanic!"

The Korean guy replies, "Iceberg, Goldberg, Greenberg, what's the difference?"

On topic.... its so damn funny how indians try to push tht retarded crap tht "we are the same people"...... Opposite to us (Pakistanis).

Hell even in this thread a bangali and a south indian tamil is trying to convince us tht "we are the same people" when we clearly arent............SAD.

That is hilarious :) And I could not agree more, some of the indians insecurities are amazing.

---------- Post added at 05:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 AM ----------

For some reason, Rafi, I cannot quote your reply but Indians have a fragile state of mind. Both of us must be careful and take this into consideration in order to prevent them going over the edge. I find it sad that Indians come on websites like PDF for no other reason but to proclaim they are similar to us when reality dictates, we have squat all in common!

Many indians are nice people as individuals - but no - we are not the same people - not even close.

OK, can we get beyond the 'Indians and Pakistanis are the same people' arguments please ....

Any more on this subject will be deleted. If one community does not want to be associated with another, then that is their prerogative - we can keep splitting hairs over 'why they are the same' or 'why they are not the same' and pretty much get nowhere.

Back to the subject of 'Arabization' ...

I find that interesting, very interesting, for some reason.

So may I explore that idea further in this thread, or shall we go somewhere else? :)

If it ties in with the topic, however loosely, go ahead right here ...

You could also use my 'introduction thread', where I try and summarize some of my views and moniker, if further exploration would be 'off topic' on this thread ...

Useless thread. We are Pakistanis. Pakistan has a beautifully coloured, rich culture. Let me tell you guys a quick story. The former president of UAE who passed away had property/mansion in my maternal grandfather's village. He would spend winter time, there to hunt. There are a lot of birds that you are not supposed to hunt, due to extinction and especially gazelles. He would go hunting and his envoy of people came to my grandfather's property(his zamin) to hunt for some gazelles that had been spotted. He personally came to ask permission, from my grandfather, who refused him entry and refused to shake his hand. He did reply salaam to him though.

Anyways, the point of this story is that, just because Pakistanis practice Islam, doesn't mean they worship arabs or think they are one. My grandfather never missed prayers, and always read The Quaran in arabic, but when it came to busniess and poetry he preferred punjabi.

For all those who are desperately trying to prove how Pakistanis are related/unrelated to Indians: This thread is about invasion of Arabian culture and robbing off of identity of Pakistan, which is collective identity of all the Pakistani people irrespective of their genetic (even ethnic) background.

The DNAs and the genes have absolutely nothing to do with it. However, anyone who still thinks the genes define the identity and geographical dwelling of a person, should feel free to move to South Africa.

OK, can we get beyond the 'Indians and Pakistanis are the same people' arguments please ....

Any more on this subject will be deleted. If one community does not want to be associated with another, then that is their prerogative - we can keep splitting hairs over 'why they are the same' or 'why they are not the same' and pretty much get nowhere.

Back to the subject of 'Arabization' ...

Ahem ............

This whole fanfare about 'Arabization' borders on anti-Arab racism.

Personally, I don't care if someone walks around in an abaya, a skirt, a sari or a kimono. It's a personal choice, although it becomes a problem when the State pushes it. Why are people not bothered by suits and ties, but get all worked up about the hijab?

As far as language is concerned, it gets complicated. On the one hand, I don't like Urdu phrases being replaced by Arabic -- or English -- phrases, but we also have to accept that all languages evolve. Urdu is already an amalgam of many influences and it will continue to evolve. In a global environment, how do we decide what is or is not a legitimate evolution?

The French are particularly sensitive about this matter, going so far as to establish a department for the preservation of French culture -- mostly in response to Hollywood. Is that the right approach or an overreaction? I don't know.

This whole fanfare about 'Arabization' borders on anti-Arab racism.

Personally, I don't care if someone walks around in an abaya, a skirt, a sari or a kimono. It's a personal choice, although it becomes a problem when the State pushes it.
Why are people not bothered by suits and ties, but get all worked up about the hijab?

You appear influenced by numerous posts in here that deviated from the main topic.

The point made in the opening post was efforts of the state to push hard a cultural piece on to the Pakistani mass. In some cases, as pointed out in the article, such push became a part of the government's official policy. That is one aspect.

Second aspect that the article discusses is a well enacted restriction of some parts of the Pakistani culture.

So in essence, it appears that the state has been trying hard to replace some parts of the culture with the new ones.

You say you personally don't care what people do or wear, as it is their own choice. Here, as I do, the author of the article too would concur with you.

Even if all of the people were to adopt, as their own free choice, something completely different from their historic culture - no one would have any problem, because it will not be an imposition.

The point made in the opening post was efforts of the state to push hard a cultural piece on to the Pakistani mass. In some cases, as pointed out in the article, such push became a part of the government's official policy. That is one aspect.

Second aspect is that the article discusses is a well enacted restriction of some parts of the Pakistani culture.

I got that from the original post, and I agree with that aspect of the original article. Certain governments in Pakistan's history have had an agenda to prioritize some influences over others, and that indoctrination needs to be reversed.

The part I disagreed in the original article was the author's assertion that this was due to the lack of a Pakistani identity. In my opinion, the reason was not that, but rather the desire by some officials to supplant Pakistan's identity for their own political agenda.

But, you're right, the discussion veered way off topic. As usual.

I got that from the original post, and I agree with that aspect of the original article. Certain government in Pakistan's history have had an agenda to priotiritize some influences over others, and that indoctrination needs to be reversed.

Yeah, that would be it. And well the article clearly points at Zia being instrumental in that. Nothing was lost before him, and nothing extra was added after him. Only a few parts of the policies undertaken by his government (may be useful only at that specific time, but not anymore) may need to be reversed.

Yeah, that would be it. And well the article clearly points at Zia being instrumental in that. Nothing was lost before him, and nothing extra was added after him. Only a few parts of the policies undertaken by his government (may be useful only at that specific time, but not anymore) may need to be reversed.

This thread seems to be going round and round in circles.

Yes, this is all the aftereffects of Charlie Wilson's war. The Arabs funded that war and demanded some concessions from Pakistan as part of their (and America's) anti-Iran encirclement. And Zia was stupid, or greedy, enough to sell Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom