What's new

Best Tourist Attractions In Islamabad?

Are they part of that once great Gandhara Civilization?
Ancient Taxila (Sanskrit: Takṣaśilā, meaning "City of Cut Stone" or "Rock of Taksha") was situated at the pivotal junction of South Asia, western Asia and Central Asia. Some of the earliest ruins in this area date to the time of the Achaemenid or Persian empire in 6th century BC.

Owing to its strategic location, Taxila has changed hands many times over the centuries, with many empires vying for its control. When the great ancient trade routes connecting these regions ceased to be important, the city sank into insignificance and was finally destroyed by the nomadic Huns in the 5th century CE. Renowned archaeologist Sir Alexander Cunningham rediscovered the ruins of Takṣaśilā in mid-19th century

Taxila has changed hands many times over the centuries from Iranian, to Indo Greek and as last Indian rule, with many empires vying for its control. It was said to be an Indo-Iranian society encompassing different religions.[who?] Historically, Takṣaśilā lay at the crossroads of three major ancient trade routes. In 516 BC, Darius embarked on a campaign to Central Asia, Aria andBactria and then marched into Afghanistan to Taxila Satrapy in modern Pakistan. Darius spent the winter of 516-515 BC in Gandhara, preparing to conquer theIndus Valley. Darius conquered the Indus in 515 BC.[17] Darius I controlled the Indus Valley from Gandhara to modern Karachi and appointed the Greek Scylax of Caryanda to explore the Indian Ocean from the mouth of the Indus to Suez. Darius then marched through the Bolan Pass and returned through Arachosia and Drangiana back to Persia.

OK, I have so far chosen to visit:
  • Monal (Pir Sohawa)
  • Ayubia
  • Rawal Lake
  • Centaurus Mall
  • Azadi Town
Let me know if I miss something :)

if you are also going to Azad Kashmir, you must have Pakistani ID, otherwise you need permission or visa, might be no issue at all, but could be.

if you are also going to Azad Kashmir, you must have Pakistani ID, otherwise you need permission or visa, might be no issue at all, but could be.

I have Pakistani ID and VISA. Should be OK I guess. At worse, they could just kick me back to Islamabad :D

@Green Arrow If PM system was functional on PDF, I could even visit you guys :D

Back
Top Bottom