What's new

'Beijing-Dhaka ties will be substantially damaged if Bangladesh joins Quad'

You missed the memo. We are not joining any camp. However, the Chinese ambassador's comments are unwarranted and very inconsistent with traditional Chinese foreign policy. He should not lecture us on what camp to join in this manner.

Now watch how CCP makes him withdraw his statement.
He made the statement after consultation with the Foreign minister of China. It was not an impromptu statement for questions asked to him. I don't think CCP will withdraw his statement.

The positive side of this drama is that China has publicly expressed how much it values its relations with BD.
If it's positive, then why Momen reacted like this?

He also said that Chinese ambassador crossed his limit.

Look on previous statement, it is clear China wants BD to be inside his camp and should see Quad camp as its joined enemy

The question is why China needs to do this kind of requirement to BD ? What prompted them to do that ?

BD is not located in SCS and Asia Pasicif region and doesnt have strong naval power that can help either Quad or China if conflict arise.

Its geographical location can be replaced by China with Myanmar and by USA with Andamands islands or India and even Malaysia since Malaysia has been agree to give the access to US armed force interm of permanent refueling site for US navy

I think China sees BD as potentially turning into a significant player by mid-century.

BD already has a 350 billion US dollar economy and expected to grow at least 7% a year till 2035 by all major economic organisations. Run something like this till 2050 and you see how rich BD could become.

The other thing about BD is that it is homogenous and so it will stay internally strong, unlike a lot of countries in the region.

Both US and China would love to have BD in their camp now it seems.

Whatever the reason, China should know that BD will never ally against it or with it. Chinese are barking up the wrong tree here with BD.

Last edited:
"We have no objection to the Indo Pacific strategy. But they should come forward to the infrastructure development if they want to make the IPS more effective".
"They have to spend money, only talking will not do, they have to invest," the minister said pointing out that the US has no contribution to Bangladesh's infrastructure development.
"They can do it if they want," he said defending his argument.
Uncle Sam itself has a very weak infrastructure and as such the new Biden Administration wants to spend $3,000 billion to rebuild or upgrade America's infrastructure.

Under this circumstance, the USA is unlikely to do any infrastructural development works in BD. The US engineers very seldom want to work abroad and now they will be too busy in their own country.

So, I do not think America will be of any help for our infra building.

Last edited:
If it's positive, then why Momen reacted like this?

He also said that Chinese ambassador crossed his limit.
I am talking about the whole exchange including Momen's rebuttal. Momen did what any FM worth his salt should do.
Given how the West is ganging up against China, they would want to protect long standing friendships at any cost. The Chinese will make amends for this stupid remark. Just watch.

Uncle Sam itself has a very weak infrastructure and as such the new Biden Administration wants to spend $3,000 billion to rebuild or upgrade America's infrastructure.

Under this circumstance, the USA is unlikely to do any infrastructural development works in BD. The US engineers very seldom want to work abroad and now they will be too busy in their own country.

So, I do not thin America will be of any help for our infra building.
Many people still believe that usa is in it's old form. But the reality is different.

Things aren't like usa vs soviet . If China is harmed , usa will suffer most, price of everything will be increased dramatically and many more I think.
The Chinese will make amends for this stupid remark. Just watch.
I sincerely wish you are right.I just don't want Bangladesh joining in quad.

Last edited:

the important thing is that we made it clear to them about BD not being interested in participating in Indo-pacific strategy or QUAD.

PRC has probably shown its red line to BD with this statement.

managed to find the video of the Q&A with Ambassador Li Jiming (watch till the end)

his words are restrained and diplomatic , so i don't really see what all this fuss is about.
If any misunderstanding is made, it can be resolved easily through our diplomatic channels.

He made the statement after consultation with the Foreign minister of China. It was not an impromptu statement for questions asked to him. I don't think CCP will withdraw his statement.

Chinese do not make statements they have to withdraw later. Let's just wait and see.

They are not going to explicitly state "We fcuked up and hearby withdraw our statement".
They will issue a "clarification" and state how much they value their relations with us and how evil the US is.

Impromptu or not, they have miscalculated in their attempt to sway BD.

US is already becoming market for BD garment and where BD can get big trade surplus

What I can say is that China is getting powerful and he want to exercise its power. China start punching on Uigyur because they know Muslim nations are afraid to even make strong statement.

Malaysia has already called China as his big brother any way......

managed to find the video of the Q&A with Ambassador Li Jiming (watch till the end)

his words are restrained and diplomatic , so i don't really see what all this fuss is about.
If any misunderstanding is made, it can be resolved easily through our diplomatic channels.

Long story short

BANGLADESH WILL NOT JOIN QUAD DUE TO LOGICAL REASONS LIKE ECONOMICS

Is there something China said behind the scenes that caused Momen to act like that ? Maybe but in the end of the day no matter what we say Bangladesh will never join Quad since it logically has no benefits for us.

aooooooooof.

Escalation.
no free lunches from CHina Bangladesh! thats China's message..
What I can say is that China is getting powerful and he want to exercise its power
Yes, and there is nothing anybody can do about it, including US. Let is be 100% HONEST- CHina can "direct" how Bangladesh's economy goes..thats just the amt of leverage China has in today's economy...if you are not a 1st world, your economy is likely dependent on China, not the other way around..dont say China is throwing its power around when US and UK have been doing that for centuries leading up to today... when US invaded Iraq and Afghanistan how many people came out publiclya nd said US is "throwing its weight around"?? but when CHina does it, its a different issue? no its not, different superpower, same behavior.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom