What's new

Battlin For Bangladesh

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A very interesting article published in the April edition of AFM magazine on the Bangladesh Air Force (BAF).

Battlin For Bangladesh

Cannot print the full article but here are some highlights:

Bangladesh has shown remarkable resolve and resilience since gaining independence 37 years ago. In doing so it has built a strong and professional military, used more often for nation building than for conflict....

Like many former British colonies, the BAF is based on the RAF ranking system. Unlike Pakistan, it has kept its traditional RAF rank lapels....

Fighter Force:
With the huge responsibility of defending its airspace, BAF has built up a strong fighter force.....

China has been a regular source for fighter aircraft since the late 1970s, when the BAF acquired several Shenyang FT-5s (two-seat MiG-17 trainers) and FT-6s (two-seat MiG-19s).....During the 1980s, Pakistan donated around 20 Shenyang F-6s.....

In the late 1980s, 16 A-5III were delivered to 21 Squadron at Kurmitola to fulfill the FGA/CAS role.....

Kurmitola AB, inside Dhaka's sprawling military cantonment, is the BAFs showcase facility, where the majority of its fighters are based.....

Around 1990, the multi-role F-7MB, equipped with PL-7 A2A and a srsenal of rockets and bombs was the most modern fighter serving the BAF.....

In 1999, the BAF acquired 6 single-seat MiG-29 Fulcrum-As and 2 Fulcrum-Bs from Russia for a reputed USD$ 115 Million. The MiG-29s are equipped with the NO19M Slot Back air interdiction radar, an IRST sensor, and a HMS system that interfaces with the R-60 (AA-8 Aphid) and R-73 (AA-11 Archer) A2A missiles. The MiG-29s also have a TAS, CAS and Recce roles and work regularly with the Army and Navy.....

The Govt. opted to purchase 12 F-7BGs and 4 FT-7BGs (B donating Bangladesh) for the BAF in 2005.....

The F-7BG is equipped with a chinese SY-80 radar, copied from Italy's FIAR Grifo to provide the aircraft with its main sensor and is highly rated for its versatility.....

BAF INVENTORY:
Aero L-39ZA.....mid 80s.....advanced jet training
Antonov AN-32.....1989.....med range transport
Bell 206L Long Ranger.....mid 70s.....helicopter flying training.
Bell 212.....1976-77.....light to med lift transport
Cessna T-37B.....1995.....basic flying training/multi-engine
Chengdu FT-7MB/F-7MB.....1990.....air defence/ground attack
Chengdu FT-7BG/F-7BG.....2006.....air defence/ground attack
Lockheed C-130B.....2001.....long range transport
MiG-29.....1999....air defence/ground attack/recce
Mi-17Hip.....1995-2007.....med lift transport
Nanchang A-5III.....late 80s.....ground attack/close air support
Nanchang PT-6.....1979.....primary flying training
Shenyang FT-6.....late 80s.....A-5 trainer

BAF ORDER OF BATTLE:
1 Squadron.....Mi-17/Mi-17I/Bell 212.....BAF Base Zahur ul Haq
3 Squadron.....An-32.....BAF Base Zahur ul Haq
5 Squadron.....F-7BG/FT-7BG.....BAF Base Kurmitola, Bashar
8 Squadron.....MiG-29B/UB.....BAF Base Kurmitola, Bashar
9 Squadron.....Bell 212.....BAF Base Tejgoan, Basher
21 Squadron.....A-5III/FT-6.....BAF Base Zahur ul Haq
25 Squadron.....L-39ZA Albatross.....BAF Base Zahur ul Haq
31 Squadron.....Mi-17/Mi-17I.....BAF Base Tejgoan, Basher
35 Squadron.....F-7MB/FT-7MB.....BAF Base Kurmitola, Bashar
101 Special
Flying Wing.....Mi-17IV/C-130B.....BAF Base Tejgoan, Basher
Flying Training
Wing........................................BAF Academy. Mati ur Rehman
...................11 Squadron...........FT-6
...................15 Squadron...........T-37B
...................18 Squadron...........Bell 206L Long Ranger

The BAF signed a contract with PAC, Kamra on March 19, 2006 that allows procurement, repair and overhaul of spare parts for their fleet of F-7, A-5III and FT-6s.....

:enjoy:

Last edited:
r we ever gonna buy that Sukhoi Su-30MKI???
also before i saw in wikpedia that bd air force are planing to buy 200 of them, is it true

Yes its on the card.. But it will not be 200, exeggeration of its extreme.

more like 12-14, one squadron's worth!

Last time they ordered 2 squadron of Mig-29 but due to Khaleda zia we had to end up only with 16. This time it may be at least 2 squadron or more may be 3 in a phased delivery.

Last time they ordered 2 squadron of Mig-29 but due to Khaleda zia we had to end up only with 16. This time it may be at least 2 squadron or more may be 3 in a phased delivery.

Cost ~ USD 2.0 Billion!:coffee:

I was wondering how much would a Mig-35 cost?;)Is it possible to acquire a squadron and then maintain these birds?I don't think so.

So at current circumstances we should go for strong air defence(SAMs),rather than fighters.

Yes it will be a phased purchase may be in a span of five years. I dont know for sure, I am just using my gutts feelings. But you dont know about Hasian, she is kinda crazy, I will not be surprised if I see her order 200 planes... :enjoy:

I was wondering how much would a Mig-35 cost?;)Is it possible to acquire a squadron and then maintain these birds?I don't think so.

So at current circumstances we should go for strong air defence(SAMs),rather than fighters.

Well in todays warfare, air defence is kinda ineffective. May be usefull against myanmar but not against India. You need to attack enemys land only stop them attacking them on your land.

Well in todays warfare, air defence is kinda ineffective. May be usefull against myanmar but not against India. You need to attack enemys land only stop them attacking them on your land.

SAMs are always effective.We could go for Russian S-300 system.Even Yanks bought those to incorporate some of its advanced features to Patriots.
And we can not attack India because of its huge Air force,and yes numbers does matter.
It has been proved that an air craft faces greater danger from SAMs than enemy fighters.
Since we have funding problem,so it would be better to go for air defence now,and a few years later go for Mig-35s.
We have funding problem because some of those funds would go for modernising navy and army.

I heard a lot about s-300. How its guidance system works? and how is the cost involved?
SAMs are good if guidance system is based on Satellite not radar. If radar is used then its really useless believe me. Overwhelming air power and jamming will cripple them within 15 mins.

why the hell do u think India will attack Bangladesh. you buy air crafts as many as you can for god sake spare India with your prejudice. attack on Bangladesh happen in only one case.if you let Chinese open a front from Bangladeshi soil.

why the hell do u think India will attack Bangladesh. you buy air crafts as many as you can for god sake spare India with your prejudice. attack on Bangladesh happen in only one case.if you let Chinese open a front from Bangladeshi soil.

Huh thats funny.. How china will open a front from BD as they will be trapped here. They have all those open border with India and they will come from North not south.

As BD has only neighbour which is called India, so any defence procurement small or big must be done keeping in mind India. With your suggestion, BD dont really need any army at all....

r we ever gonna buy that Sukhoi Su-30MKI???
also before i saw in wikpedia that bd air force are planing to buy 200 of them, is it true
sir,sukhoi30mki is da india specific export version of su30 with many upgrades....
.it is da best version of the aiscraft(even better dan da wat russians use)........so sukhoi30mki....no.........sukhoi30mk...maybe. But if indo-bangla relation detoriates ,chances for u of getting those will also minimise......thnx

Back
Top Bottom