What's new

Bank of America wants to provide $ 50b to support BD's renewable energy sec

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what type of renewable or sustainable energy the Americans see Bangladesh can fruityfully use. There are many types of sustinable energy that need to be developed and used commercially.

There are 1) Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) energy 2) Deep Seawater Air-conditioning (SWAC) energy, a type of cold energy, 3) Wave Energy, 4) Tidal energy, 5) Wind energy, 6) Solar energy, photovoltaics (PV), or indirectly using concentrated solar power (CSP),and 7) Geo-thermal energy.

Can someone tell us what kind ofrenewable energy the US govt may propose to develop in Bangladesh.

More energy source will help Bangladesh to industrialize more and to add more export revenue into the economy. Yes it is right that economy fully dependent on loan is not good but investing in power and infrastructure sector is beneficial for every country.

True Energy is a must for any further development. Renewable is the best way to go as there are no strings attached like buying oil and gas.

It can't be true. BOA is a public corporation, US Gov can't be representing an NGO.

US EXIM Bank is Gov entity.

The GoB always suppresses the figure of real demand of electricity. Even today, BD needs an installed power capacity of 50,000MW or more. But, the GoB regularly forecasts a demand of only 20,000MW in 2030. It is an intentional ploy not to make people aware of the reality and expect more, because the GoB knows it would be alost impossible for the country alone to build up a 50,000MW capacity.

Roughly speaking, a 100MW power plant may require $250milllion to build and operate. Outwardly, the US offer of a $50 billion investment seems to be a big proposition. But, this money will just be enough to build up a capacity of only 20,000MW by 2030. However, with the addition of new power plants every year the indexes for industry and agriculture outputs will keep on rising every year which will raise the GDP.

Why ar you seeking a pres release from BOA when BD and USA have only started talking at the gov level only. Nothing has been finalized.

I'm not seeking anything, as a concern shareholder, anything involves BOA I have to check it's real or not. Unless the US government guarantees the loan at this difficult time for BOA the shareholders would not permit the bank to take adventure like this.

Bank of America wants to provide $ 50b to support BD's renewable energy sector

Bank of America wants to provide $ 50b to support BD's renewable energy sector :: Financial Express :: Financial Newspaper of Bangladesh

Published : Sunday, 17 March 2013

news_image_2013-03-17_22948.jpg

Deputy Assistant Secretary of the US for Energy Transformation Dr Robert Ichord and DCCI President Md Sabur Khan seen, among others, at the meeting on 'Sustainable Energy for All Initiative' organised by the DCCI in the city Saturday.

FE Report

The visiting deputy assistant secretary of the United States (US) for energy transformation Dr Robert Ichord said Saturday that the Bank of America is willing to provide US$ 50 billion to support sustainable and renewable energy sector in Bangladesh.

"Bank of America is willing to provide $ 50 billion to support this sustainable and renewable energy sector," he said at a discussion meeting on "Sustainable Energy for All Initiative (SE4ALL)" with the board of directors of the Dhaka Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DCCI) at the auditorium of the trade body on the day.

He suggested that Bangladesh should give more concentration on gas exploration. He also stressed the need for modernised policy framework under public-private partnership (PPP) model in order to ensure better enabling environment for investment in this sector.

"In order to ensure energy security for all by the year 2030, government, private sector and donors have to work together," he said.

Welcoming the US official delegation DCCI President Md Sabur Khan said Bangladesh has immense demand for alternative energy and the companies from the US could invest in the sector for mutual benefit.

"Alternative power has a great demand in Bangladesh and there remains a tremendous growth potential for it in this sector," he said.

"I invite companies from US to invest in this sector," he added.

Mr Khan said SE4ALL could play a vital role in mobilising foreign investment in this sector in Bangladesh.

He said Bangladesh government has initiated a power and energy sector development roadmap (2010-2021) which has targeted to produce 20,000 megawatt (mw) of power by 2021.

He requested the US entrepreneurs to invest in power and energy sector including alternative energy like renewable energy in Bangladesh to ensure energy security in the country which is very important for the economic development and industrialisation.

He informed that about 16 per cent of global energy consumption now comes from renewable resources and demand for renewable energy is increasing in Bangladesh in recent days.

The SE4ALL is a joint World Bank-UN initiative with three broad objectives like increasing energy access, promoting renewables and improving energy efficiency.

DCCI Senior Vice President Nessar Maksud Khan offered vote of thanks.

DCCI Vice President Absar Karim Chowdhury, Directors ASM Mohiuddin Monem, Khairul Majid Mahmud, Haider Ahmed Khan, FCA, Rizwan-ur Rahman, M Abu Hurairah, Kh Shahidul Islam, Hossain A Sikder, Abdus Salam and Md Shoaib Choudhury, among others, took part in discussion.

Ms Molly Ward of State Department Energy Bureau (State/ENR), USA, Ms Elizabeth Wallace, Financing Consultant for State/ENR, USA, Pat Delaquil, SE4ALL Consultant for State/ENR, Francesca Costantino of US Department of Energy, Alexander Gazis of Economic & Commercial Office, US Embassy, Dhaka, among others, were also present.

Thanks for sharing such good news, our energy sector could really use some heavy investment.

I have $50 in BOFA!:big_boss:

This is why they are convinced to invest an amount of $50 billion in BD. You'll be awarded Bir Protik by Hasina for your contribution :woot: .

BTW, is this a typing mistake...the amount is unbelievable, 4 times of our national reserve?. Besides, China hasn't been able to attract an investement of $50 billion from a single source yet.

This is why they are convinced to invest an amount of $50 billion in BD. You'll be awarded Bir Protik by Hasina for your contribution :woot: .

BTW, is this a typing mistake...the amount is unbelievable, 4 times of our national reserve?. Besides, China hasn't been able to attract an investement of $50 billion from a single source yet.

$50 billion upto 2030, not for a single year :P

$50 billion upto 2030, not for a single year :P

I raised the question considering the time range...still it's unbelievable to me. $50 b investement in 17 years to a poor third world nation simply raises eye brow. Let's wait...with time it'd be clear to us.

I'm not seeking anything, as a concern shareholder, anything involves BOA I have to check it's real or not. Unless the US government guarantees the loan at this difficult time for BOA the shareholders would not permit the bank to take adventure like this.

Why is it that you think a $50 billion power sector invstment in Bangladessh will tremble the shareholders? BD is a lucrative market for electricity, not necessarily that all the energy sources shall be renewable. Do not you see a co-relationship between the digging of the BoB by the US companies and the US interest to invest in the electricity sector? So, it is very simple. US is certain that oil/gas is available in the Bay.

US is aware that BD has a high electricity demand, but lacks fund to build power plants. So, it is a good business proposition for the USA to invest money in the most profitable sector in BD that has a very bright future, indeed! I think, your millions in the Bank of America will bring high dividends for you if invested in Bangladesh.

So, better wait for a few months and buy more BoA shares once you hear the finalization of investment. One point to note, US will certainly not loan out the money to a mismanaged and corrupt BD. It will ask big companes like GE and Simons to take the lead, and the BoA will lend its money to these companies.

By the way, you owe me a 2% commission on your investment capital in the BoA..

Back
Top Bottom