What's new

Bangladesh to launch its own satellite

Quality details are expert and authorities to decide will most likely be detailed in RFP. But Chinese, European and US has much more to offer quality and otherwise than ISRO can.

Hi,

First of all from all the posts I have read in this thread, it is not clear who is building this satellite? Will Bangladesh build it or will you buy it from some other space agency? If you are planning to buy one, then I don’t think ISRO will be of much help to you as its schedule is jam packed for the next five years. ISRO will be launching about 36 satellites in the next five years at the rate of 7-8 satellites a year, including satellites and rovers to the moon.

Here is the mission profile of ISRO till 2013.

c63565a50ca619e93806b449a3148079.jpg

With such a packed schedule, I doubt they will be able to spare any time to build a satellite for another nation.

A communication satellite to cover whole of Bangladesh will have less than 6 transponders in the Ku band and its total weight will not exceed 1500 kg. Ideally, Bangladesh should be looking for a private company in the US or Europe/Russia to do the job for them. For any matured private satellite making company this should be a piece of cake. For space agencies like ISRO and others, the revenue earned from such a satellite will be a drop in the ocean but for private satellite makers it may be bread and butter.

ISRO however, can launch the satellite for you. Current Indian GSLV launchers can carry a payload of upto 2500 kg to GTO. Next year GSLV-MkIII capable of carrying upto 4000 kg to GTO will be ready. Quality is a non-issue when it comes to launching. You give us your satellite and tell us the coordinates and it will be done. In fact, India’s Sriharikota launch centre is the second ideally located spot for a satellite launch after Kourou in French Guiana. This is because the place is 13° (13 degree) from the equator, allowing the rocket to overcome earth's gravitational force easily. Kourou is at 5° 10' (5 degree 10 minutes). Compare this to Kennedy Space Center in America at 28° and Russian space center at 55°. So, an Indian launcher will expend less fuel and the accuracy of the launch will be much better than what others can offer you. All this at least costs. Add to all this we hold the record for the maximum number of satellites launched simultaneously from a single launcher (10 at a time).

So, buddy the choice is yours – as has always been!

Coming to the quality of Indian satellites – ISRO has built over 50 satellites till date including Chandrayaan-I. We have been using our own satellites for decades for communication, earth observation, remote sensing etc. and so far we haven’t faced any problems. In fact most Indian satellites have far exceeded their design life in space and some have remained operational even after 5-10 years after their official expiry dates. The results thrown up by Chandraayaan-I are known all. Indian satellites are proven and boast of exceptional quality so much so that even NASA and ESA avail services from our technologies.

About, the Chinese assistance thingy, well I can only laugh at such a claim.

917b5c713e74f502618e7e86c3b49d9b._.gif

Linking via satellite - washingtonpost.com

Please feel free to prove me wrong!

Thank You!
2377c1c93266427552d6e25122353700.gif

It's sad to see Bangladeshis listening to absurd conspiracy theories about India. India is not interested in undermining the sovereignty of Bangladesh - it is a democratic country which is likely our friend and ally - both our countries suffer from poverty, illiteracy and religious extremism (Hindu and Muslim). We need to start looking at ways to create education and job opportunities.
I had a Bangladeshi student with me in engineering college - I believe Bangladeshi are much like us Indians and equally talented and hardworking. They are also democratic and peace loving.
Maybe joint projects and better people to people contacts can remove the mistrust

Hi,

First of all from all the posts I have read in this thread, it is not clear who is building this satellite? Will Bangladesh build it or will you buy it from some other space agency? If you are planning to buy one, then I don’t think ISRO will be of much help to you as its schedule is jam packed for the next five years. ISRO will be launching about 36 satellites in the next five years at the rate of 7-8 satellites a year, including satellites and rovers to the moon.

Here is the mission profile of ISRO till 2013.

c63565a50ca619e93806b449a3148079.jpg

With such a packed schedule, I doubt they will be able to spare any time to build a satellite for another nation.

A communication satellite to cover whole of Bangladesh will have less than 6 transponders in the Ku band and its total weight will not exceed 1500 kg. Ideally, Bangladesh should be looking for a private company in the US or Europe/Russia to do the job for them. For any matured private satellite making company this should be a piece of cake. For space agencies like ISRO and others, the revenue earned from such a satellite will be a drop in the ocean but for private satellite makers it may be bread and butter.

ISRO however, can launch the satellite for you. Current Indian GSLV launchers can carry a payload of upto 2500 kg to GTO. Next year GSLV-MkIII capable of carrying upto 4000 kg to GTO will be ready. Quality is a non-issue when it comes to launching. You give us your satellite and tell us the coordinates and it will be done. In fact, India’s Sriharikota launch centre is the second ideally located spot for a satellite launch after Kourou in French Guiana. This is because the place is 13° (13 degree) from the equator, allowing the rocket to overcome earth's gravitational force easily. Kourou is at 5° 10' (5 degree 10 minutes). Compare this to Kennedy Space Center in America at 28° and Russian space center at 55°. So, an Indian launcher will expend less fuel and the accuracy of the launch will be much better than what others can offer you. All this at least costs. Add to all this we hold the record for the maximum number of satellites launched simultaneously from a single launcher (10 at a time).

So, buddy the choice is yours – as has always been!

Coming to the quality of Indian satellites – ISRO has built over 50 satellites till date including Chandrayaan-I. We have been using our own satellites for decades for communication, earth observation, remote sensing etc. and so far we haven’t faced any problems. In fact most Indian satellites have far exceeded their design life in space and some have remained operational even after 5-10 years after their official expiry dates. The results thrown up by Chandraayaan-I are known all. Indian satellites are proven and boast of exceptional quality so much so that even NASA and ESA avail services from our technologies.

About, the Chinese assistance thingy, well I can only laugh at such a claim.

917b5c713e74f502618e7e86c3b49d9b._.gif

Linking via satellite - washingtonpost.com

Please feel free to prove me wrong!

Thank You!
2377c1c93266427552d6e25122353700.gif

WoW !!! excellent analysis and report generation ;)

But what I found out from the discussion from BD members is that the issue is about Ego, pride and lack of faith on India. It has nothing to do with the technology or successrate we operate at.

Looks like people wont like India doing anything as that will be termed as "Awami, another Indian/RAW stooges"

Thanks for the info, I think BTRC might fund but may not be of any help technically ( my assumptions)
Any idea if BD govt planning to take any outside help ( well I am not suggesting India's hand here :D), Building satellite for the first time is a mammoth task, and almost impossible without any outside help, but once mastered its damn easy. All the NA/EU unniversities have their own satellites launched. Last time during chandrayan , even IIT's satellite was launched.

I think there must be some foreign help needed ( China or Russia? )

As this is not an experimental venture rather a business venture, so the government will not take any risk of a failure. Secondly, the communication satellite must be the hardest one as it has to communicate with not only with the base station in BD but also with other existing satellite and base stations on earth and must follow certain protocol. So certainly BD need some help and it will be most likely china, germany or russia.

@screaming skull
mate do we only have GTO launch capabilities?
there are three ways of putting a satellite into a Gs orbit...one is to launch it through a GTO...the other is to puti t directly at an orbit of 3600kms which is the geo-stat orbit...i dont remember the third one...

@screaming skull
mate do we only have GTO launch capabilities?
there are three ways of putting a satellite into a Gs orbit...one is to launch it through a GTO...the other is to puti t directly at an orbit of 3600kms which is the geo-stat orbit...i dont remember the third one...

Take indian space capability discussion in indian section. This is about Bangladesh sattelite initiative.

Below is a Daily Star report on our communications satellite launching to the space. The names of US, Japan and China have been mentioned by the minister, because these countries are technologically superior. Can it be said that India is not regarded as a technological hub by our govt?

The cost seems to be only $150 million to $200 million. It is tiny comparing to the state of economic health of present day BD with a GNI that will exceed $100 billion this fiscal. Note that BD has a foreign exchange reserve of more than $10 billion, which the govt is trying to bring down. One or two communications or spy satellites will be helpful in this regard, also.
=======================================================================================================

Bangladesh plans to launch satellite

Bangladesh plans to launch satellite
Negotiates with leading countries for tech support
by Sajjadur Rahman

Bangladesh plans to launch its own communications satellite within a year, Post and Telecommunications Minister Raziuddin Ahmed Raju said yesterday.

The cost of the programme will be between $150 million and $200 million, he said. The minister disclosed the government plan to reporters during a media briefing.

"We've already started talking to different countries including the US, Japan and China, to help us launch our own satellite," the minister told The Daily Star over the phone.

The satellite would serve commercial purposes including improving telecom services, helping to meet the booming demand for it. Telecom operators could subscribe to satellite services on a commercial basis, the minister added.

Television broadcasting, and meteorological data including disaster warnings would be available easily by the satellite. It might also be used for mapping natural resources, and to predict weather to help farmers, experts said.

"We are very serious. We hope to give the people the good news soon," said Raju.

He said the government is discussing the technical aspects with the US, Japan and China that have vast experience in the field. Some other countries are also showing interest, he added.

After assessing the proposals of interested countries, the government will pick the one that is most favourable for Bangladesh, the telecom minister said.

"Financing by the interested country will be an important criterion for awarding the contract," he said.

Experts have welcomed the venture saying that satellite technology would provide quality and faster telecom services to the people, and reduce the risks associated with natural calamities.

"A satellite of our own can benefit us a lot, including better weather forecasting and survey of mineral resources," said Satya Prasad Majumder, a professor of electrical engineering and electronics at Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (Buet).

Currently, Bangladesh subscribes to information about its mineral resources from the US, he said.

Majumder said a satellite could also help control mass communication traffic, such as television and radio broadcasting.

"You don't need a cable TV network if you have satellite services," the Buet professor also an expert on communication technology told The Daily Star.

Syed Margub Morshed, former chairman of Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission said a satellite can give a country uninterrupted communication services.

“If the fibre optic cable is snapped, services will remain undisturbed through VSAT for the satellite," he said.

There are several thousand satellites in space, launched by more than 50 countries. Bangladesh's neighbours India and Pakistan launched their own satellites in 1980 and 1990 respectively.

^^ It appears that BD is going to buy a satellite, through soft loan, as opposed to leasing or subscribing to the services. In that case, it makes sense to go with US, Europe or Japan.

I was under the impression that BD is going to develop a satellite on its own, of course with assistance from outside. This led me to believe that ISRO can play a significant role in actually putting the satellite in orbit.

Mountain out of a molehill.

Thank you for putting so much faith on BD. However, please note that our technology is still limited to stitching your shirts. Now, of course, we are building ocean-going ships and there are many other POCKETS of development. But, it is inconsistent and there is no basic research works to develop a new technology, or the infrastructure to learn and adopt an old one.

Last edited:
Take indian space capability discussion in indian section. This is about Bangladesh sattelite initiative.

you talk so childish!.....the post you quoted talks bout sat launch in general......obviously your 'digitally decepted' mind didnt get that!.....and dont try to act the mod here,if you have problems report the post......got it?

Congratulations to Bangladesh. I will be genuinly happy the day BD launches it's own sattelite.

I believe BD is definetly going in the right direction and it's on it's way to become the first developed nation in South Asia.

The booming Forex reserves and now this added to a floirishing Export industry. Also, BD is rooting out terror from it's soil and showing zero tolerance to extremism.

Lets please , for Hevans sake keep ISRO and India out of this.

P.S. - Does the Forum have a Banglasdesh Flag

yeah my bad.
alright
@screaming skull
dude....do you know that BD has designed a new comm. satellite?
and also...does BD's western neighbor's space agency ISRO have the capability to launch sats directly into a GS orbit at 3600km?

Back
Top Bottom