What's new

Bangladesh Pushes back refugees from Myanmar

We are Bongos. But Muslim first :D

i thought that was a derogatory term

We do call ourselves as Bongs(not Bongos :/). It was kinda derogatory once upon a time, but later people took it with light heart just as Malayalams don't mind if you call them Mallu.

It's a tough situation.

By taking the refugees, they are helping the Burmese ethnic cleansing. By rejecting them, they are condemning them to possible death.

It's pretty sad with what's going on with Rohingyas. But calling it ethnic cleansing is stretching it too far. So far 49 people are assumed to be dead in the ongoing riot, while every life is important, but 49 people are too few to be called ethnic cleansing.

Couple of years ago Indian navy rescued some 500 Rohingyas from a engine-less boat in middle of Bay of Bengal with no food or water. Thai navy was allegedly responsible.

It's pretty sad with what's going on with Rohingyas. But calling it ethnic cleansing is stretching it too far.

As kobiraaz and others have pointed out, this is a repeating occurrence with Burma. There have been previous waves of expulsions. Even after all these centuries, these people are not considered Burmese citizens and the UN claims they are one of the most discriminated against groups on the planet.

Thanks for posting on topic.... This is the third time... It happened once in 1978, again in 1991, now in 2012. Bangladesh recieved them twice before! But later myanmar refused to take them back!! I don't see any other option except Military intervention in Myanmar!

As kobiraaz and others have pointed out, this is a repeating occurrence with Burma. There have been previous waves of expulsions. Even after all these centuries, these people are not considered Burmese citizens and the UN claims they are one of the most discriminated against groups on the planet.

Let me also point you out that that Rohingyas and native Arakenese population have a history of riots dating back to colonial time. If I remember correctly, some 40,000 arakanese and 20,000 rohingyas(I'm not too sure about the numbers) were killed in a big badass riot in 1940s.

This rohingya problem is just another South Asian mess left by the British. These people shouldn't be there to begin with, now when they are there, they should be accepted and should work more to integrate with local population.

Also the reason of the recent riot is rape of a arakanese girl by some rohingyas. You don't rape your enemy's girl when you are minority in their country, not that I'm trying to defend the riot.

Its 400 just beside border according to ittefaq! Total death count is far more....

I'll take the official version not jingoistic bd media version. Also BDR only sent back some 600 people but BD guys are making it look like millions are crossing the border.

Let me also point you out that that Rohingyas and native Arakenese population have a history of riots dating back to colonial time. If I remember correctly, some 40,000 arakanese and 20,000 rohingyas(I'm not too sure about the numbers) were killed in a big badass riot in 1940s.

The segregation and ethnic tensions go back centuries.

This rohingya problem is just another South Asian mess left by the British. These people shouldn't be there to begin with, now when they are there, they should be accepted and should work more to integrate with local population.

They have been there for six (?) centuries. They have every right to be there as anyone else. The British are done and gone; now the Burmese need to move forward and build a cohesive society.

And how can they 'integrate' when they are discriminated against and held at arm's length even after all these centuries? In one of the earlier articles, it was mentioned how Rohingyas must always 'know their place' and make sure they never cross the line.

As the UN mentioned, it is one of the most segregated societies and the Rohingyas are one of the most discriminated against people in the world. Imagine the caste system in its worst form still alive and fully practised -- it is like that for the Rohingyas in Burma.

Also the reason of the recent riot is rape of a arakanese girl by some rohingyas. You don't rape your enemy's girl when you are minority in their country, not that I'm trying to defend the riot.

Plenty of rapes happen in all societies. Do you doubt that rapes don't happen in the reverse direction? This is just an excuse by the majority to terrorize the minority.

They have been there for six (?) centuries. They have every right to be there as anyone else. The British are done and gone; now the Burmese need to move forward and build a cohesive society.

They haven't been there for 6 centuries. Apparently they went there in the mid 19th century, after the Anglo-Burmese wars. Anyone who moved to Arakan before 1823 is recognized as a Burmese national.

Full citizens are descendants of residents who lived in Burma prior 1823 or were born to parents who were citizens at the time of birth.

Burmese nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The segregation and ethnic tensions go back centuries.

And how can they 'integrate' when they are discriminated against and held at arm's length even after all these centuries. In one of the earlier articles, it was mentioned how Rohingyas must always 'know their place' and make sure they never cross the line.

As the UN mentioned, it is one of the most segregated societies and the Rohingyas are one of the most discriminated against people in the world. Imagine the caste system in its worst form still alive and fully practised -- it is like that for the Rohingyas in Burma.

Plenty of rapes happen in all societies. Do you doubt that rapes don't happen in the reverse direction? This is just an excuse by the majority to terrorize the minority.

Rohingyas are Bangladeshi origin people who moved to Burma after Anglo-Burma war mainly as pseudo slaves. They are not there for 6 centuries.

Not sure how caste system is relevant, more apt example is racism and xenophobia. Anyway I'm sure rapes do occur in both direction but just pointing out the reason of recent riot. Rohinyas are discriminated, true, both in Myanmar, Bangladesh and other East Asian countries. They probably have best life in India.

They haven't been there for 6 centuries. Apparently they went there in the mid 19th century, after the Anglo-Burmese wars. Anyone who moved to Arakan before 1823 is recognized as a Burmese national.

OK. Make it a couple of centuries.

Not sure how caste system is relevant, more apt example is racism and xenophobia.

I just gave that as an example of a situation where a group of people are kept segregated and not allowed to intermingle, intermarry and, as you call it, integrate.

OK. Make it a couple of centuries.

I just gave that as an example of a situation where a group of people are kept segregated and not allowed to intermingle, intermarry and, as you call it, integrate.

not couple of centuries.... the indians are telling burmese version..........

here is what others say

Some Rohingya historians like Khalilur Rahman contended that the term Rohingya is derived from Arabic word 'Raham' meaning sympathy.[1] They trace the term back to the ship wreck in 8th century AD. According to them, after the Arab ship wrecked near Ramree Island, Arab traders were ordered to be executed by Arakanese king. Then, they shouted in their language, 'Raham'. Hence, these people were called 'Raham'. Gradually it changed from Raham to Rhohang and finally to Rohingyas

However, the claim was refuted by Jahiruddin Ahmed and Nazir Ahmed, former president and Secretary of Arakan Muslim Conference respectively.[1] They argued that ship wrecked Muslims are currently called 'Thambu Kya' Muslims and currently residing along the Arakan sea shore. Should the term Rohingya derive from these Muslims, "Thambu Kyas" would have been the first group to be known as Ruhaingyas. According to them, Rohingyas were descendants of inhabitants of Ruha in Afganistan.[1]

Another historian, MA Chowdhury argued that among the Muslim populations, the term 'Mrohaung' (Old Arakanese Kingdom) is corrupted to Rohang. And thus inhabitants of the region are called Rohingya.[1] These claims are categorically rejected by Burmese historians.

And when bangladesh will be underwater and will naturally disappear, who will welcome them ?

Burma? No.
India? No lol
Pakistan? No.

India will help them
they took the Bengali refugees who were running away from 90 thousand Pakistanis -------

so why not now?

303656_312131502208716_1400433762_n.jpg

FAKE?? NOT SURE

not couple of centuries.... the indians are telling burmese version..........

here is what others say

Some Rohingya historians like Khalilur Rahman contended that the term Rohingya is derived from Arabic word 'Raham' meaning sympathy.[1] They trace the term back to the ship wreck in 8th century AD. According to them, after the Arab ship wrecked near Ramree Island, Arab traders were ordered to be executed by Arakanese king. Then, they shouted in their language, 'Raham'. Hence, these people were called 'Raham'. Gradually it changed from Raham to Rhohang and finally to Rohingyas

However, the claim was refuted by Jahiruddin Ahmed and Nazir Ahmed, former president and Secretary of Arakan Muslim Conference respectively.[1] They argued that ship wrecked Muslims are currently called 'Thambu Kya' Muslims and currently residing along the Arakan sea shore. Should the term Rohingya derive from these Muslims, "Thambu Kyas" would have been the first group to be known as Ruhaingyas. According to them, Rohingyas were descendants of inhabitants of Ruha in Afganistan.[1]

Another historian, MA Chowdhury argued that among the Muslim populations, the term 'Mrohaung' (Old Arakanese Kingdom) is corrupted to Rohang. And thus inhabitants of the region are called Rohingya.[1] These claims are categorically rejected by Burmese historians.

Even if we take the conservative version, a couple of centuries is still a long time and well before Burma became a country in 1948. By all logic, these people are full Burmese citizens.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom