What's new

Bangladesh Navy

Jiaxing1.jpg

Any news on buying more of these Type53h3s ?

According to DefSeca, the Bangladesh Navy is adding 30mm Remote Weapons Systems (RWS) on its Padma class Coastal Patrol Craft replacing the manually operated Chinese 37mm twin guns. Seems logical and believable because i saw multiple tenders for 30mm guns which amount to 15-20 at least. I think my calculation still doesn't make sense though.

1616410251038.png

Last edited:
According to DefSeca, The Bangladesh Navy is adding 30mm Remote Weapons Systems (RWS) on its Padma class Coastal Patrol Craft replacing the manually operated Chinese 37mm twin guns. Seems logical and believable because i saw multiple tenders for 30mm gun which amount to 15-20 at least. I think my calculation still doesn't make sense though.

View attachment 726743

Seems nice , but seriously I was expecting some Frigate news or something

Came here and all I saw was The Ronin talking about some boats

According to DefSeca, the Bangladesh Navy is adding 30mm Remote Weapons Systems (RWS) on its Padma class Coastal Patrol Craft replacing the manually operated Chinese 37mm twin guns. Seems logical and believable because i saw multiple tenders for 30mm guns which amount to 15-20 at least. I think my calculation still doesn't make sense though.

View attachment 726743
There are 10 Padma class right? 5 are under construction?

Looks like the Burmese took our trolling seriously. 😂 Ah!! Those "MANPAD Navy", "Shallow hull frigate" jokes will get old. :(

View attachment 729134

Including the five under construction? Yes.

Well hopefully this forces Bangladesh's Navy to start our own dam Frigate program soon , we can't let these Burmese Navy get stronger than us.

There are talks that Turkey is planning to make a naval variant of Hurjet, possibly with Eurojet EJ200. If they become successful then this will be a very good news for us as BN has vision to buy LHD in future. Before, i talked about an LHD based on Italian concept with "possible" combination of F-35 but if this project see success we can choose a less strings attached, low cost solution with the Italian LHD concept. Everything depend on future now.

Photo of this month shows latest progress on construction of BNS Sheikh Hasina. Google map may have been updated but doesn't look much updated to me. ⤵⤵

1617144340922.png

So basically getting exactly about the same specifications we wanted for our frigates

We wanted these specifications in out frigate? :what: There's no official confirmation about that so i believe it's just s speculation. BN's two evaluations indicate that it's interested in SAM which can be quad-packed.

There are talks that Turkey is planning to make a naval variant of Hurjet, possibly with Eurojet EJ200. If they become successful then this will be a very good news for us as BN has vision to buy LHD in future. Before, i talked about an LHD based on Italian concept with "possible" combination of F-35 but if this project see success we can choose a less strings attached, low cost solution with the Italian LHD concept. Everything depend on future now.

Photo of this month shows latest progress on construction of BNS Sheikh Hasina. Google map may have been updated but doesn't look much updated to me. ⤵⤵

View attachment 729787

We wanted these specifications in out frigate? :what: There's no official confirmation about that so i believe it's just s speculation. BN's two evaluations indicate that it's interested in SAM which can be quad-packed.

Lol nice news , and yes I agree with you on the LHD idea with Hurjets on it. As by 2030 Bangladesh's economy will be pretty big and our navy also needs to big to protect our assets against a very unpredictable Myanmar.

Also on the Navy base , so how done is it 30% ?

NEWCON LHD/LHA Amphibious Assault

So something like this but with a ramp ?

The source of these news is based on the statements in this program.

There is only a preliminary study on the naval version of the Hurjet. Also,I dont think that this study carrying for TCG Anadolu. Turkey has target to acquisition of an aircraft carrier and want to use its domestic platforms on it. There is no known work on a STOVL / STORVL aircraft project, and turning Hürjet into such an aircraft probably have enormous technical difficulties. Suitable engine supply is another problem in itself. In short, it is unlikely. EJ is not this type of engine architecture. EJ's TV works are not about this either. The Hurjet project already has a GE engine selection, for AJT/LIFT block. There are always these types feasibility studies, but there are many stages that must pass before they become a formal development program.

The source of these news is based on the statements in this program.

There is only a preliminary study on the naval version of the Hurjet. Also,I dont think that this study carrying for TCG Anadolu. Turkey has target to acquisition of an aircraft carrier and want to use its domestic platforms on it. There is no known work on a STOVL / STORVL aircraft project, and turning Hürjet into such an aircraft probably have enormous technical difficulties. Suitable engine supply is another problem in itself. In short, it is unlikely. EJ is not this type of engine architecture. EJ's TV works are not about this either. The Hurjet project already has a GE engine selection, for AJT/LIFT block. There are always these types feasibility studies, but there are many stages that must pass before they become a formal development program.

Why do they always choose American engines for jets or helicopters ? Kinda limits who you can export it to

Why do they always choose American engines for jets or helicopters ? Kinda limits who you can export it to

This is an issue that we also criticize. I can even say that it is the most popular discussion area in Turkish forums. However, Let's briefly list the reasons behind this tendency:

Turkish military aviation logistics has US/NATO standards and maintenance/modification experience, especially in the engine part. So what I'm talking about is tens of thousands of documents, personnel training, and many years of operational experience. I'm not even talking about procurement of related spare parts, infrastructure needs, and related machines or systems, and stock control is completely another matter.

Today, for the introduction of a Russian engine into this logistics will require the translation of hundreds of documents even for A-level maintenance alone, same for the training of the relevant personnel. The difficulty of developing an aircraft project(which is a new area for you) with an engine that you do not have fully experienced, or the necessity to set up a completely different logistics line for the related engines, is very complex; all these risk factors that could harm your main project (such Hurjet AJT/LIFT).

Turkish projects also have schedule pressure mostly. Because these projects are not experimental studies. For example, the Turkish air force needs to put these AJT / LIFT aircraft into service within 5-8 years. Regional risks contain conditions that Turkey can not take the risk of weakening in the military sense.

Another factor is that GE's continuing strong presence in Turkey, and considerable high business share of Turkey's engine sub-element-suppliers in the company of GE's global operations. For example, TEI (Turkish Engine Industries) produce over 1500 parts for civil and military 45 different engine program. One out of every two aircraft in the world flies with TEI parts. As an example of other active programs in Turkey: T700-TEI-701D, the engine of the T-70 (S-70i Black Hawk localized version) helicopter is entirely produced in TR, under license. Even the LHTEC T800 engine variants purchased for the T-129 are largely packaging in TR. Many peripheral elements such as the power turbine module for the helicopter are made here.

This industrial background and billions of dollars in business operations are a major factor why TR has strong ties, especially with GE. A long way has been covered in terms of bureaucracy and in terms of knowing each other's business culture.

The US Senate's effort to prevent industrial relations, naturally began to create significant changes in the structure of projects in Turkey. However, this change has led TR to invest in design and test capability rather than turning to alternative resources (the technical issues I said first). Although Turkey has many years of experience as a sub-supplier, a relatively new player in terms of direct execution of their indigenous engine programs. This is the main cause of the current bottleneck. But we are in a temporary period. Because engine programs are progressing with success above expectations.

Sorry if I left the context of the thread. However, I wanted to briefly summarize the answer to your question. In short, even if the F404 engine has been selected for Hürjet AJT-LIFT, I can confidently say that other block studies that will derive from this aircraft project will be developed over alternative IP-free engine sources.

PS: Issues I have not mentioned above
* Comparative tests and performance / maintenance / cost benefits of US (aviation)engines
* Breaking in US-Turkey relationship is a very new phenomenon. Turkey's pursuit of independent policies and prioritize national interest's safety, is an issue tried to break its resistance by the US policy makers. Both sides have a certain cards in their hand, so we can say that while the relationships are getting worse gradually, the damage control is being taken care by both sides. As a result, industrial structures are not expected to have as fast reflexes as policy tools. If the USA will be the party whose its resistance broken on related issues, there is a possibility that the relations will recover.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom