What's new

Bangladesh Navy

Aren't we getting 2 more of these or something ? I wonder if we can get some more of second hand frigates from other nations ?

We are at least getting one more that has been ordered - "Putian" was also being refurbished last I heard, if not two more.

The confusion from Wiki, as reported by Janes in their page in error, was that this new one (ex-PLAN Putian?) was to be renamed BNS Khalid Bin Walid (F-20), which is not correct, since F20 is the same pennant number and Khalid Bin Walid earlier name of BN's lead ship, BNS Bangabandhu. Bangabandhu is _NOT_ being decommissioned, I can assure you. :lol:

I will let other knowledgeable folks confirm this.

BNS Umar Farooq F16 (ex PLAN 连云港 / Lianyungang, pennant/hull number 522) and BNS Abu Ubaidah F19 (ex PLAN 嘉兴 / Jiaxing, pennant/hull number 521) have already been delivered and commissioned earlier in 2020.

Pennant NumberNameBuilderLaunchedCommissionedFleetStatus

523 莆田 / Putian Hudong December 1999East Sea Fleet Sold to Bangladesh Navy

Well idk how many they will build but if these Frigates are actually that capable then it's a serious threat for us and we better get our @sses up and kickstart our own indigenous next gen frigate program

There are serious infra issues with the YARD (CDDL) that is going to be building these new indigenous Frigates, those will need to be resolved first. Such as BMRE issues and staffing expertise etc.

The latter can be resolved with ToT and getting a development partner such as Damen or STX, which MAY be in the works.

The former (BMRE) will take more time.

And then there is of course pressure from Indian govt. all the time to buy their naval products. These A-holes will never leave us alone.

Last edited:
We are at least getting one more that has been ordered - "Putian" was also being refurbished last I heard, if not two more.

The confusion from Wiki, as reported by Janes in their page in error, was that this new one (ex-PLAN Putian?) was to be renamed BNS Khalid Bin Walid (F-20), which is not correct, since F20 is the same pennant number and Khalid Bin Walid earlier name of BN's lead ship, BNS Bangabandhu. Bangabandhu is _NOT_ being decommissioned, I can assure you. :lol:

I will let other knowledgeable folks confirm this.

BNS Umar Farooq F16 (ex PLAN 连云港 / Lianyungang, pennant/hull number 522) and BNS Abu Ubaidah F19 (ex PLAN 嘉兴 / Jiaxing, pennant/hull number 521) have already been delivered and commissioned earlier in 2020.

Pennant NumberNameBuilderLaunchedCommissionedFleetStatus

523 莆田 / Putian Hudong December 1999East Sea Fleet Sold to Bangladesh Navy

There are serious infra issues with the YARD (CDDL) that is going to be building these new indigenous Frigates, those will need to be resolved first. Such as BMRE issues and staffing expertise etc.

The latter can be resolved with ToT and getting a development partner such as Damen or STX, which MAY be in the works.

The former (BMRE) will take more time.

And then there is of course pressure from Indian govt. all the time to buy their naval products. These A-holes will never leave us alone.

True lol , I don't why the heck we aren't upgrading our dam dry docks probably Indian influence or being lazy. ( I feel like they misinterpreted 2030 Forces Goal as waiting until 2030 to start upgrading our military lol)

I wonder if South Korea will be a good contender for our next gen frigate program since we already use a South Korean Frigate ?

Also 6 next gen Frigates will be nothing in 2030 to be honest , maybe going against Myanmar but India nope.

I feel like BN might buy some Type 54 Frigates to fill the gap or something

Type-056 corvette of Bangladesh Navy along with German K-130 class corvette in UN mission (UNIFIL)

1618042297438.png

1618042263839.png

1618042205089.png

True lol , I don't why the heck we aren't upgrading our dam dry docks probably Indian influence or being lazy. ( I feel like they misinterpreted 2030 Forces Goal as waiting until 2030 to start upgrading our military lol)

I wonder if South Korea will be a good contender for our next gen frigate program since we already use a South Korean Frigate ?

Also 6 next gen Frigates will be nothing in 2030 to be honest , maybe going against Myanmar but India nope.

I feel like BN might buy some Type 54 Frigates to fill the gap or something

Yes if dry dock situation continues then we know for sure something is up. Indians probably applying pressure on Navy through Hasina.

If by 2025 indigenous frigate program does not get started - then for sure backfill frigates will be needed.

Whether those are Type 54's or Korean new builds will depend on a lot of things. Namely,
  1. The state of our economy (i.e. solvency and funding).
  2. The state of indigenous technology readiness (i.e. state of new yard situation which is changing as we speak).
  3. Who we get the ToT from (I figure it will be China but may be older technology than current PLAN tech.). Trustwise we are a notch lower than Pakistan when China shares technology. Too many RAW operatives in our armed forces which China knows already.

Yes if dry dock situation continues then we know for sure something is up. Indians probably applying pressure on Navy through Hasina.

If by 2025 indigenous frigate program does not get started - then for sure backfill frigates will be needed.

Whether those are Type 54's or Korean new builds will depend on a lot of things. Namely,
  1. The state of our economy (i.e. solvency and funding).
  2. The state of indigenous technology readiness (i.e. state of new yard situation which is changing as we speak).
  3. Who we get the ToT from (I figure it will be China but may be older technology than current PLAN tech.). Trustwise we are a notch lower than Pakistan when China shares technology. Too many RAW operatives in our armed forces which China knows already.
Rather have subs.

Bd military always had raw operatives but the military still functions.

BD military as well aware onbhow to deal with them when the awami league goes.

Hmmmm , is he checking out Turkish naval equipment or ships ?

Says he will visit various defence installations, naval equipment mfrs. including shipyards.

This is a state visit at the invitation of Turkish Govt., their secretariat of Defence and Defence manufacturers.

So yes - to your question, both.

Can you read Bangla?

Last edited:
Says he will visit various defence installations, naval equipment mfrs. including shipyards.

This is a state visit at the invitation of Turkish Govt., their secretariat of Defence and Defence manufacturers.

So yes - to your question, both.

Can you read Bangla?

Nope can't read Bangla lol , but yeah thanks

Back
Top Bottom