What's new

Bangladesh Navy

I think they will get the least attention in our modernisation plans. Furthermore, the authority of the coast guard overlaps with the navy, RAB and police who also does patrolling. Navy mostly patrols the seas and RAB and police mostly patrols the inshore areas.

Anyway i was hoping that the khulna class patrol vessel gets transferred to the coast guard instead of the navy. Its purpose is mostly patrolling. It would have a great asset for the coast guard

Right...this type could be transferred to coast guard but BD at this moment can't afford a tk 60 cr ship for coast guard. Just look at coast guard boats developed at KSY....each of them cost tk 8 cr. Besides, there is a possibility of fitting teeth on these Khulna class vessels at any tense moments.

SEAL or SEAL/UDT is commando- SEAL stands for Sea, Air and Land ,the very best BN officials have this opportunity. Only one Lieutenant of BN is eligible to apply for SEAL. These applicants go through huge rigorous hard phases to be qualified for main SEAL courses which they win either in Korea or in China. These preliminary phases are so hard that people can't accept all the facts let alone the main SEAL course. For instance, one required qualification to apply for SEAL is CD (clearance diver) course...a course that takes only 5/6 weeks to complete but completing this one gets 14 pots of condensed milk and 2 pots of butter per month for whole life for physical reason :azn:. And for this CD there are pretests that people have to pass which are also unbelievable..this is why I told a bit ago "let alone the main SEAL course".

SWADS is an elite force of BN like other elite forces of BD say RAB, SSF. SWADS consists of SEAL commandos but never means only SEALs are the members, definitely non-commissioned ones can't be SEALs but they can be naval commandos.

That ex pilot of BAF definitely gave you a wrong information. BN has 2 types of commando- Naval Commando and SEAL. Naval Commando training is held in BD and not restricted to only officers, both sailors and officers can take it and for this the qualification phases are not so hard. As far as I know no personnel go to USA for commando training (about SEAL already told). In fact BN almost stopped random trainings for its personnel in west (USA,UK, Germany) long ago. Currently, maybe only some select personnel visit west for training but that shouldn't be commando type training.
how do you know all these?

how do you know all these?

Well... there are two SEALs of BN in my family/relatives. One had his course from Korea and another guy from China....both of them had this course abroad when SEAL was inducted in BN or they can be termed 1st generation SEALs of BN (among 1st 2/3 batches). Besides, I had the thirst to know about these once.

Well i am confused,a group of them surely gets trained in Korea and another group gets extensively trained by USA.I think i even saw a picture of some commandos taken in Turkey.
Btw, the two castle class ships have been refitted with new main gun and C-704s and all these were done locally.

It's confusing to me, wikipedia says it's fitted with C-802 but now hear recently it was fitted with C-704. If BNS Osman can be fitted with C-802, Castle class should also be fitted with this as both are almost of same displacements.

It's confusing to me, wikipedia says it's fitted with C-802 but now hear recently it was fitted with C-704. If BNS Osman can be fitted with C-802, Castle class should also be fitted with this as both are almost of same displacements.
I still wonder whats the reason behind shifting from C-802 to C-704. BN is using this 704 at everything from the new LPCMs to this castle class ships and many other ships are being fitted with the same short range missile when they can go for the longer ranged c-802.I think BN is being pressurized for not using long range weapons which can pose a threat to our beloved big neighbor.Or is there any other explanation for that ??

SEAL or SEAL/UDT is commando- SEAL stands for Sea, Air and Land ,the very best BN officials have this opportunity. Only one Lieutenant of BN is eligible to apply for SEAL. These applicants go through huge rigorous hard phases to be qualified for main SEAL courses which they win either in Korea or in China. These preliminary phases are so hard that people can't accept all the facts let alone the main SEAL course.

For instance, one required qualification to apply for SEAL is CD (clearance diver) course...a course that takes only 5/6 weeks to complete but completing this one gets 14 pots of condensed milk and 2 pots of butter per month for whole life for physical reason :azn:. And for this CD there are pre-tests that people have to pass which are also unbelievable..this is why I told a bit ago "let alone the main SEAL course".

SWADS is an elite force of BN like other elite forces of BD say RAB, SSF. SWADS consists of SEAL commandos but never means only SEALs are the members, definitely non-commissioned ones can't be SEALs but they can be naval commandos.

That ex pilot of BAF definitely gave you a wrong information. BN has 2 types of commando- Naval Commando and SEAL. Naval Commando training is held in BD and not restricted to only officers, both sailors and officers can take it and for this the qualification phases are not so hard. As far as I know no personnel go to USA for commando training (about SEAL already told).

In fact BN almost stopped random trainings for its personnel in west (USA,UK, Germany) long ago. Currently, maybe only some select personnel visit west for training but that shouldn't be commando type training.

It is a clearly written piece of information about how the Commando, SEAL and SWAD trainings are executed. Thanks. Send also some other information relevant to the present thread or other military threads.

Then again, your new patrol boats are fitted with C704.... It would be interesting to know where exactly the C704s are fitted: on the bow, forward of the newly installed 76mm or on the superstructure just be that gun.

Castle class OPV was designed with wartime militarization in mind. Hence it is capable of hosting that Chinese 76mm (design had OtoBreda 76mm in mind). It should be able to take 4 C-802 as one wartime role would have had her fitted with not only OtoBreda 76mm but also 4 MM38 Exocet. I suspect these would go on the main deck just forward of the superstructure, quite near the bow.

I still wonder whats the reason behind shifting from C-802 to C-704. BN is using this 704 at everything from the new LPCMs to this castle class ships and many other ships are being fitted with the same short range missile when they can go for the longer ranged c-802.I think BN is being pressurized for not using long range weapons which can pose a threat to our beloved big neighbor.Or is there any other explanation for that ??

C-704 is really a smaller version of C-802. For smaller vessel, it may be a more appropriate missile as smaller vessels may lack the targeting equipment that larger vessels have, and can do with a weapon taking up less space and weight and volume while packing nearly the same punch, if over a shorter (within targeting capabilities) range.

Or, it may simply be easier to fit and/or cheaper....

Most navies are involved in anti-piracy, existence of coastguard notwithstanding.

But in developing country like us should not use armed forces in petty jobs . if they start a life like police there is huge chance they will become corrupt . rather it will be better o confine them in cantonment and prepared for any vital situation like natural disaster /war etc . And in our country those who are known as pirates are not pirates of carrabian or somia that we need a sophisticated navy to counter them. they are petty criminal and thief's try to steal mooring rope or any expensive goods from ships so a well equipped coastguard should deal with this . Navy should only involved when the cost guard need them .

But in developing country like us should not use armed forces in petty jobs . if they start a life like police there is huge chance they will become corrupt . rather it will be better o confine them in cantonment and prepared for any vital situation like natural disaster /war etc . And in our country those who are known as pirates are not pirates of carrabian or somia that we need a sophisticated navy to counter them. they are petty criminal and thief's try to steal mooring rope or any expensive goods from ships so a well equipped coastguard should deal with this . Navy should only involved when the cost guard need them .

Does your Coast Guard perform open ocean anti-piracy ops? I would doubt it as usually CGs don't have the ships capable of open ocean work. The fact that you have a coast guard does not eliminate the need for involvement of the Navy in anti-piracy. It is the Navy's job to secure Sea Lines of Communication. Navy may be considered to be 'too good' for such a menial job but, like it or not, if piracy moves out of coastal into deep waters then anti-piracy becomes a navy job. It is that simple.

Coast guard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy

Even if there is little piracy along your own coast, what are you going to do for ships under your country's flag when faced with piracy elsewhere on the globe? What do you do to protect/rescue them: send your coast guard or send your navy?

http://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-reporting-centre/live-piracy-map (where paricay occurs on the globe)
http://www.geopolicity.com/upload/content/pub_1305229189_regular.pdf (check map page 4: pirate attacks increasingly move further out to sea)

Khulna Shipyards Builds Second Patrol Craft

Khulna Shipyard Limited has completed construction of another warship, a patrol craft, at a cost of Tk 16 crore.
This warship will be formally handed over to the Chief of Army Staff General Iqbal Karim Bhuiyan on November 13, it was learnt.
Earlier on October 8, the first warship constructed by Khulna Shipyard Ltd was launched in the river Rupsha. Foreign Minster Dipu Moni attended the launching ceremony as chief guest.
It may be recalled that Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina during her visit to Khulna on March 5 in 2011 inaugurated construction works of five warships at Khulna Shipyard.
This second warship to be handed over to the Army Chief of Staff on November 13 is 19.75 metre in length and seven metre in breadth.
It is would be used by the army for carrying at least 50 armed forces personnel and military hardware at the time war, KSY sources said.
Khulna Shipyard Ltd earned a profit of Tk 26 crore during the last financial year, said Commander Motiur Rahman who is Deputy General Manager (Finance) of Khulna Shipyard Ltd.
Established in 1957, Khulna Shipyard was placed under Bangladesh Steel and Engineering Corporation (BSEC) on March 26 in 1972.
In 1998, KSY was declared as a sick industry and later placed under Privatisation Board.
Finally on October 3 in 1999, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina handed over the management of KSY to Bangladesh Navy.
KSY management under Bangladesh Navy since October of 1999 made a net profit of Tk 113 crore out of which Taka 32 crores have been contributed to government treasury as Income Tax and VAT

mama ai purana steamer gulare tumi warship kow :confused:

The first one is very important though. It gives us amphibious capabilities, so that we can bring the fight to the enemy territory.

For the second one, it isnt called an warship. Its called an auxiliary ship

A navy does not have only destroyers, frigates and corvettes. It requires many other supporting vehicles. In every navy thare are Landing Crafts. BN also has more than 10 such ships. These are certainly not warships, but are very essential to send military personnels to any point through rivers and sea. These are fitted with only a minimum fire power. Shah Makdum and Shahjalal are two such ships.

Boltu habibi,

I remember opening a thread here with a navy tender-copy that i found which mentions the development of C-704s locally. If that is true, then the shifting of this platform would make appropriate sense. And i hope that is true. Though i did not get any further information about it.

Cheers!!!

Back
Top Bottom