What's new

Bangladesh Military Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
erased as it was not necessary.

Last edited:
Bangladeshi to lead UN peacekeepers in Ivory Coast
Staff Correspondent

The United Nations is going to appoint a major general f.rom Bangladesh Army as the commander of its peacekeeping mission in Ivory Coast.

Chairman of parliamentary standing committee on defence ministry M Idris Ali said this to reporters at the Zia International Airport on his arrival after a 14-day official visit to the peacekeeping missions in the African states of Ivory Coast and Congo.

A number of members of Bangladesh armed forces and police are engaged in the UN missions there.

Talking to the press, Idris Ali also pointed out that there are some problems Bangladeshi peacekeepers are facing abroad.

The standing committee will submit recommendations to the government in this regard like taking initiatives to provide Bangladeshi soldiers with cheap phone call rates for talking to their relatives back in the country and chartering aircraft to fly them home on annual holidays, he said.

The Awami League lawmaker led a six-member delegation to Ivory Coast and Congo to witness the operational and administrative duties of Bangladesh contingent deployed there.

The team also visited various military installations and called on high officials of the UN peacekeeping operations.

Many think that such visits to UN peace mission areas will enhance the morale of Bangladeshi troops and help make them more dutiful.

Idris Ali told reporters that the UN would increase participation of Bangladeshi soldiers in its peacekeeping missions in the two countries.

Bangladesh is the second highest contributor to UN's peacekeeping missions in terms of number of peacekeepers. The United States secured the number one position in terms of financial contributions.

Earlier, US President Barack Obama invited Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina along with heads of 10 other countries contributing peacekeepers to the missions to a meeting in New York on September 23 where they exchanged views and experiences on UN peacekeeping operations across the world.

Bangladeshi to lead UN peacekeepers in Ivory Coast

BDR set to recruit over 1,000 jawans
Faces manpower shortage for arrest of large number of troops; departmental trial likely to complete before CID charge sheet in Pilkhana carnage case
Kailash Sarkar

Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) will have 1,073 new members in January in its first recruitment since the February 25-26 mutiny at Pilkhana headquarters.

The decision has been taken to resolve the manpower shortage the border force faces with a huge number of its troops detained on mutiny charges, BDR Director General Major General Mainul Islam told The Daily Star yesterday.

A circular for recruitment of 1,000 troops is coming up, while one seeking applications for 73 non-paramilitary positions has already been published, he added.

Criminal Investigation Department sources said 3,500 BDR men have been arrested across the country so far. Of them, 2,163 were held at Pilkhana headquarters in the capital.

Many of the accused would lose jobs as punishment, they added.

Of the 1,000 jawans to be enrolled, 482 will come in general quota and the rest 518 in quotas for Ansar and VDP, indigenous people, public orphanages and the children of freedom fighters.

The recruitment tests will begin on January 14 and continue till January 28. They would be held at different BDR camps and metropolitan and district headquarters.

BDR officials will oversee the selection process. Those to be picked will be issued with appointment letters on the examination day.

Meanwhile, the border force authorities plan to begin departmental trial of suspected mutineers at Pilkhana before CID submits a probe report in the carnage case, said sources.

CID, they added, might take more time to complete the mutiny probe, though the home ministry had earlier said the investigation report would be submitted before the year ends.

Talking to The Daily Star yesterday, Home Minister Sahara Khatun said the government is striving to ensure a fair trial of the carnage case.

Queried when she thinks CID would submit its report, she replied, "It's not possible to have a thorough investigation by working to a time limit.”

The government wanted to complete the probe within its first year in office. But now it seems the job might take a little longer, as the investigation is leading to new links and suspects, she continued.

“The CID officials however are trying their best to complete the probe as soon as possible.”

Speaking in return for anonymity, a top-ranking BDR official yesterday told The Daily Star, "If the departmental trial is not completed before CID turns in its charge sheet, the trials at the special courts might be delayed with the accused taking out stay on the proceedings."

The BDR DG however would not comment on the matter.

Sources in the force and home ministry said the government wants to complete the departmental proceedings first to avert potential legal complexities.

In November, BDR formed six special courts headed by its director general to try around 7,000 border troops on charges of mutiny.

The courts have already begun proceedings in Rangamati, Bandarban, Satkhira and Feni.

According to the rules, charges are pressed and arrest warrants issued on the opening day of the special trial, and the following day, the accused are produced before the court.

At the end of the second day, the court is adjourned giving the accused 27 days' time to prepare for defence.

BDR set to recruit over 1,000 jawans

Leon bro, i assume you have access to bdmillitary given you have posted about the latest updates in that particular site here (the BDR recruitment and the UN news). But there was one more and i believe the most interesting update, ie. BAF sending pilots for F/A 18 training. As i myself cannot access bdmilltary, thanks to the admin, i would request you to share some information about that; as i am sure most of the BD members would find it very interesting. Thanks dude in advance.

Cheers!!!

@LeonSir

Why I've to provide every detail to access in BD military dot com? Even they want a professional email account and cell number for unknown bloody reason.

@LeonSir

Why I've to provide every detail to access in BD military dot com? Even they want a professional email account and cell number for unknown bloody reason.

Bro, dont talk about that site. After 2-3 days of registering, i posted my first ever writing there. And guess what, i came back in the evening to see that "You are not allowed to visit the forum" message. What would you say to that. May be its wrong for me to say, but its an utter shame that our OWN defence site bans their OWN countrymen from discussing and putting forward their ideas. And they talk about patriotism. :tsk:

Sorry for discussing about other forums here but cud'nt hold back.

However, just went over the Deagel.com site and came over a very suprising fact. It gave a list about the total transactions of towed guns that took place worldwide between nations (between 2000-2012). Here it shows Bangladesh was the 6th largest importer of towed guns in the world with 155 pieces.:woot:. Was delivered in two transactions to the BA. WOW....some figures to remember. :partay:

Deagel is not a reliable source.They also report we have 16 Migs,whereas even Sheikh Hasina in her trial talked of 8 Migs.

I read that 155mm self propelled howitzers were ordered,PLZ-45 from China.But do not know about exact figures.

Deagel is not a reliable source.They also report we have 16 Migs,whereas even Sheikh Hasina in her trial talked of 8 Migs.

I read that 155mm self propelled howitzers were ordered,PLZ-45 from China.But do not know about exact figures.

Bro, we all know that defence procurement in our country is kept very secret. I am sure even Hasina falls under that category. You dont know but she might have been adviced not to talk about it in her trail.

And leon, let me point to you that if she talks about 16 migs in her trial....dont you thing the magnitude of moeny she was accused to have taken would be far bigger then if it were 8 migs......:devil:

Haha, just my idea bro....you are welcome to refute......:cheers:

Cheers!!!

Bro, we all know that defence procurement in our country is kept very secret. I am sure even Hasina falls under that category. You dont know but she might have been adviced not to talk about it in her trail.

And leon, let me point to you that if she talks about 16 migs in her trial....dont you thing the magnitude of moeny she was accused to have taken would be far bigger then if it were 8 migs......:devil:

Haha, just my idea bro....you are welcome to refute......:cheers:

Cheers!!!

LOL :lol:

Your logic is good,but let me show you something.Search for Bangladesh's frigate in deagel,you will only find Type 053H i.e. BNS Osman there is no BNS Khalid Bin Walid/Bangabandhu there.No Ulsan class mentioned there.

Do the math :)

Afaik, some PLZ-45 have already been inducted to the BA. Specific and strong information was given in the BDmilitary site. So i assume we have some from the total we ordered. :yahoo:

6 Bangladeshi policemen missing in Haiti
Google mapsStar Online Report

Six Bangladeshi policemen working in the UN peacekeeping mission in Haiti remained missing since a 7.0-magnitude quake hit the Caribbean country on Wednesday, said a senior police officer.

Another policeman, who works at the United Nations mission headquarters in Haitian capital Port-au-Prince, survived with minor injuries.

Assistant Inspector General (AIG-UN Desk) of Police Harun-ur-Rashid told The Daily Star that they failed to contact the six police personnel as telecommunication was snapped.

"On failure to contact them over telephone, we sent e-mails to the mission but did not get any reply yet," Harun said.

PHQ sources confirmed that none of the six policemen was posted in the headquarters of the UN mission and even in the most affected capital city.

Apart from the six policemen, two Bangladeshis are working in the UN mission headquarters. One of them is now on leave and staying home.

A senior official of the PHQ said, "We have, somehow, talked to the person who is working in the HQ of the UN mission."

Quoting the injured Bangladeshi civil staff working in the HQ, the senior police personnel said that he survived but received injuries and does not want to be quoted.

The capital is now said to be in total darkness with many people sleeping outside amid fear of more aftershocks.

Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere and has suffered a number of recent disasters, including four hurricanes and storms in 2008 that killed hundreds.

6 Bangladeshi policemen missing in Haiti

BAF to deploy contingent in UN Peacekeeping Mission

Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) is going to deploy contingent BANAIR-1 at United Nations Mission in Central African Republic and Chad (MINURCAT), reports UNB.

BANAIR-1 (Aviation Unit) comprising of 104 BAF members would be deployed at MINURCAT from January 10, said an ISPR release Thursday.

Main body of BANAIR-1 would leave the city for Chad on January 20.

Chief of Air Staff Air Marshal SM Ziaur Rahman briefed the members of BANAIR-1 in the city Thursday.

He called upon them to discharge their duties with honesty, professionalism and sincerity and bring honour for BAF as well as for the country.

BAF also is going to deploy three helicopters at MINURCAT.

BAF to deploy contingent in UN Peacekeeping Mission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom