What's new

Bangladesh is getting closer to Eurofighter Typhoon

The co-op between Bangladesh and chinese military stretches back from 1980's.

Ganga land and Uncle sam can throw what ever they want. Nothing will change

Bd may buy western system here and there, but end of the day. China was, is and will be in the most important partner for BD in economics, military or diplomacy.

USA is on the way out. Who cares about uncle sam?
If USA and EU cut off your textile exports you will be checking out 4th world status

Bd is not stupid enough to jump all in China's basket now. I am talking long term China is far more important then EU or USA

No it is not.

BD will maintain relations with all major economic and military powers of the world - US, Europe and China.

It will also have close relationship with the rising Muslim economic and military power of Turkey.

Over time the Indian influence in BD will naturally wane and do not forget that BD is actually a large population wise country of 165 million people and so does not really need to jump into any camp.

BAF fighter procurement from China, West and probably Turkey over the next 10-15 years will show its geopolitical prorities.

No it is not.

BD will maintain relations with all major economic and military powers of the world - US, Europe and China.

It will also have close relationship with the rising Muslim economic and military power of Turkey.

Over time the Indian influence in BD will naturally wane and do not forget that BD is actually a large population wise country of 165 million people and so does not really need to jump into any camp.

BAF fighter procurement from China, West and probably Turkey over the next 10-15 years will show its geopolitical prorities.
It will be Turkey and China.

Western influence will go.

If you look at BD's size and neighbours then you will realise expensive BVR twin engined jets are simply impractical. Best get a layer of medium/high altitude SAMs. Simply make it very very expensive for any aggressor to attack. The small size of the country means BD will have minutes (maybe even just seconds) of advance warning.
Though fighters give you flexibility SAMs dont

Best BD should do is also operate a squardon or two of very light figters like gripen LCA JF17 golden egale or yak kind of trainer/fighter along with layeree air defense

By the way, I would not discount the Mig-29 upgrade that BAF is going through right now as it gives BAF at least some teeth against MAF.

The Mig-29BM includes the modern N-019P radar which can fire all Russian air-to-air ordnance like the R-77. None of the MAF Mig-29s have modern radar and even the 10 they sent to Russia in 2017 for “upgrade” kept the old N-019E radar.
Even using the current R-27s, BAF Mig-29s will be superior in air-to-air combat against MAF Mig-29s and only their JF-17 Block 2s will be comparable, although the SD-10A missile will be superior due to newer technology and active-radar guidance.

As well as the air-to-air upgrades, the Mig-29BM N-019P radar has dedicated air-to surface capabilities and BAF has already ordered KH-31A anti-ship missiles as a follow on to the Mig-29 upgrade.

Hopefully the more modern R-77 extended range version will be ordered soon to maximise the Mig-29BMs air-to-air capabilities.

Last edited:
By the way, I would not discount the Mig-29 upgrade that BAF is going through right now as it gives BAF at least some teeth against MAF.

The Mig-29BM includes the modern N-019P radar which can fire all Russian air-to-air ordnance like the R-77. None of the MAF Mig-29s have modern radar and even the 10 they sent to Russia in 2017 for “upgrade” kept the old N-019E radar.
Even using the current R-27s, BAF Mig-29s will be superior in air-to-air combat against MAF Mig-29s and only their JF-17 Block 2s will be comparable, although the SD-10A missile will be superior due to newer technology and active-radar guidance.

As well as the air-to-air upgrades, the Mig-29BM has dedicated air-to ground capabilities and BAF has already ordered KH-31A anti-ship missiles as a follow on to the Mig-29 upgrade.

Hopefully the more modern R-77 extended range version will be ordered soon.

This upgrade is the definition of "stop gap".

But yeah, hopefully it gives BAF some sharper teeth for the interim as well as prepare it for much better things to come.

This upgrade is the definition of "stop gap".

But yeah, hopefully it gives BAF some sharper teeth for the interim as well as prepare it for much better things to come.

BAF should really explore with China the possibility of upgrading the KLJ-6F radar on the F-7BGI to integrate SD-10A AAM.

It has a maximum range of 86km and so in theory with some software tweaking it could allow a cheap way for BAF to get another 16 BVR fighters into its arsenal.

BAF should really explore with China the possibility of upgrading the KLJ-6F radar on the F-7BGI to integrate SD-10A AAM.

It has a maximum range of 86km and so in theory with some software tweaking it could allow a cheap way for BAF to get another 16 BVR fighters into its arsenal.

Is it small enough to fit in that F7 nose?

In a BVR fight speed and range are the key... do you think 86km matters? I mean can it really go up against anything we face?

As a point defense it is probably still good however in the BVR and combat UAV & drones age i have my doubt that point defense light fighters have much of a role left.... they are just too expensive....

In a BVR fight speed and range are the key... do you think 86km matters? I mean can it really go up against anything we face?

As a point defense it is probably still good however in the BVR and combat UAV & drones age i have my doubt that point defense light fighters have much of a role left.... they are just too expensive....
Might as well get this JL-9 which can fire sd-10s
its basically a highly modified f-7 with a bigger radar.
1618225530745.png

To be clear, the F-7BGI already has the 86km range KLJ-6F radar installed and so in theory with some software modifications it should be able to fire the SD-10A BVR missile. 86km is just long enough to be used effectively against BVR targets.

OK, not any good against MAF JF-17 Block 2s and the soon to be coming SU-30SMEs but they may be at least able to hold their own against the 30 Mig-29s that MAF has with the old downgraded N-019E radar and the R-27 missile. I am talking purely in defensive mode in order to defend point targets like airbases and strategic installations.

With some smart thinking, BAF should be able to field an airforce very quickly(12-18 months max.) and cheaply with 16 SD-10A equipped F-7BGIs and 8 Mig-29BMs with extended range R-77 missiles. Now the MAF just cannot walk over BAF anymore and this changes the military balance back in BD's favour.

Last edited:
To be clear, the F-7BGI already has the 86km range KLJ-6F radar installed and so in theory with some software modifications it should be able to fire the SD-10A BVR missile. 86km is just long enough to be used effectively against BVR targets.

OK, not any good against MAF JF-17 Block 2s and the soon to be coming SU-30SMEs but they may be at least able to hold their own against the 30 Mig-29s that MAF has with the old downgraded N-019E radar and the R-27 missile. I am talking purely in defensive mode in order to defend point targets like airbases and strategic installations.

With some smart thinking, BAF should be able to field an airforce very quickly(12-18 months max.) and cheaply with 16 SD-10A equipped F-7BGIs and 8 Mig-29BMs with extended range R-77 missiles. Now the MAF just cannot walk over BAF anymore and this changes the military balance back in BD's favour.

Myanmar's political earthquake has severely weakened its strength.
Personally, I don't think this is a good time to buy fighterjets.
Because within five to 10 years, there will be a variety of new generation fighters on the market.
Many countries have delayed fighter jet purchases or are buying only light fightersto get
through the transition.
The countries that are still buying heavy fighter jets are countries that are under a lot of military pressure.
The Eurofighter Typhoon is a third generation fighter, it will be obsolete in the 2030s, and its
service life will be at least 30 years.
This is the golden period of development for many countries, the US and Europe will use a lot of
power to suppress China, they don't have the strength to suppress other countries, they don't
dare to suppress many countries like Turkey and Iran too much, because they are afraid that
excessive repression will lead them to be closer to China.
Bangladesh also has this advantage now, the more it gets closer to China, the more it will be
treated well by Europe, USA and even India.
Iran and China signed a 25 year deal and the US immediately said it would lift sanctions based
on the same logic.

All in all, I think Bangladesh should buy some cheap planes now and wait for 5 years to negotiate for a new generation of fighter jets. The benefit of this is saving money and having a new generation of more powerful fighter jets.

Myanmar's political earthquake has severely weakened its strength.
Personally, I don't think this is a good time to buy fighterjets.
Because within five to 10 years, there will be a variety of new generation fighters on the market.
Many countries have delayed fighter jet purchases or are buying only light fightersto get
through the transition.
The countries that are still buying heavy fighter jets are countries that are under a lot of military pressure.
The Eurofighter Typhoon is a third generation fighter, it will be obsolete in the 2030s, and its
service life will be at least 30 years.
This is the golden period of development for many countries, the US and Europe will use a lot of
power to suppress China, they don't have the strength to suppress other countries, they don't
dare to suppress many countries like Turkey and Iran too much, because they are afraid that
excessive repression will lead them to be closer to China.
Bangladesh also has this advantage now, the more it gets closer to China, the more it will be
treated well by Europe, USA and even India.
Iran and China signed a 25 year deal and the US immediately said it would lift sanctions based
on the same logic.

All in all, I think Bangladesh should buy some cheap planes now and wait for 5 years to negotiate for a new generation of fighter jets. The benefit of this is saving money and having a new generation of more powerful fighter jets.

Yes excellent point about spending too much money now on new-build fighters that will within a decade of service become obsolete.

I am not in favour of buying new build EFTs as like you say they will be obselete in the world of the 2030s. Unfortunately with the little tidbits of information that are coming out it looks like BD will buy 16 of these jets for its MRCA requirement. Not only are the EFTs expensive to buy but they are also quite expensive to operate and so would really drain the money that the government gives to BAF.

My preference would be 16 second-hand Gripen-Cs now, updated with the plug-in AESA radar that Sweden has developed and new electronics fitted. With Meteor missile these would be substantially better than anything Myanmar has right now and more than a match if they went and brought JF-17 Block 3s as a response - not that they can really afford them but you never know.

Also with the Mig-29BMs being upgraded and looking at the possibility of getting China to look at software modifications on the KLJ-6F radar of F-7BGI for it to fire SD-10As, then this would add to BAF capability on top very cheaply and quickly.

By saving money now, then BAF in the late 2020s can look at buying 2-3 squadrons(32-48 planes) of J-35s which should be excellent for India and then maybe in the early 2030s buying 2-3 squadrons of TF-X from Turkey, provided that programme is successful as a hedge against both Myanmar and India.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom