What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

This is how you do deals

i wont be surprised if we sign a deal with La France

congrats @Indos

maybe we could use Indonesian facilities for MRO Sometime in the future if we get Rafale

The actual effective contract is just 6 planes with 36 in MOU/LOI level contract. We bought based on the available budget given by Finance Minister.

Our current Defense Minister has crazy defense acquisition plan, not long ago the document leak shows his plan for 140 billion USD defense procurement for just 5 years period. Luckily we still have more sane and responsible Jokowi, Planning Minister, and Finance Minister. Current Armed Force general also criticize Prabowo publicly on TV about his acquisition plan.

Indonesia is saved by Allah with the winning of Jokowi in two Presidential Elections as both the contender for 2014 and 2019 election is Prabowo. AlhamduliLLAH.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate?

I don't understand.

I corrected my original comment. Sorry.

So - here is my logic. We are not in Pakistan's situation to match parity with India.

I don't think we are getting F-16v's - Indians will object to the US and to Hasina. We are not independent like Pakistan and we will cave in. No chance.

Gripen is not coming because Engine is American - they will embargo that. No chance on that either.

Rafale is a no go - Indians have the same plane.

The only option that could restore the parity with Myanmar somewhat (they have Su-30's on order) is getting a coupe of squadrons of EFT's to counter their Su-30's. And also J-10's to counter their MiG-29's and JF-17's. But our only chance to get J-10C's would be valid if we stay in China camp, or at least not overtly support US Interests. That may be the right approach - given the lower cost of J-10's vs, the other options.

So - historically we have gotten what Myanmarese got from China/Russia trainer-wise. Although we are also not in a position to match parity with Myanmar AF fleet-wide and numbers-wise.

We have almost the same modern trainers as Myanmar does. Yak-130's, JL-8's etc. Except they have more of them. They have triple the MiG-29 inventory we have. Myanmar does some crazy overspending on their AF assets. They are getting 50 more JL-8's for example. I don't think we need more lead-in trainers like Yak-130's other than to cover attrition losses. But we are talking abut MRCA here, not trainers.

So - am I correct in some of my assumptions? Or totally off the mark?

Last edited:
I corrected my original comment. Sorry.

So - here is my logic. We are not in Pakistan's situation to match parity with India.

I don't think we are getting F-16v's - Indians will object to the US and to Hasina. We are not independent like Pakistan and we will cave in. No chance.

Gripen is not coming because Engine is American - they will embargo that. No chance on that either.

Rafale is a no go - Indians have the same plane.

The only option that could restore the parity with Myanmar somewhat (they have Su-30's on order) is getting a coupe of squadrons of EFT's to counter their Su-30's. And also J-10's to counter their MiG-29's and JF-17's. But our only chance to get J-10C's would be valid if we stay in China camp, or at least not overtly support US Interests. That may be the right approach - given the lower cost of J-10's vs, the other options.

So - historically we have gotten what Myanmarese got from China/Russia trainer-wise. Although we are also not in a position to match parity with Myanmar AF fleet-wide and numbers-wise.

We have almost the same modern trainers as Myanmar does. Yak-130's, JL-8's etc. Except they have more of them. They have triple the MiG-29 inventory we have. Myanmar does some crazy overspending on their AF assets. They are getting 50 more JL-8's for example. I don't think we need more lead-in trainers like Yak-130's other than to cover attrition losses. But we are talking abut MRCA here, not trainers.

So - am I correct in some of my assumptions? Or totally off the mark?

The point I was trying to make was that China will favor Myanmar in any conflict with Bangladesh given the idea that Myanmar is much more important from a geostrategic standpoint than Bangladesh given Western intentions and geograpghy.

And I am not even mentioning things like rare earth.

So it may force Bangladesh's hand into the Western camp.

Of course, there is the India problem which is the complete opposite and for which Bangladesh will need China.

In other words, Bangladesh walks on a tight rope.

I think right now Bangladesh needs to obtain Typhoon or Rafale immediately.

Typhoon for would be appropriate for both India and Myanmar.

Rafale obviously only for Myanmar.

But again getting Rafale isn't the end of the world.

Now that Indonesia is getting a good number, there may be prospect for Bangladesh to work with other Western leaning Asian nations other than India.

(What I am getting at is that I want Bangladesh to up its training to a standard where it can participate in multi nation exercises)

Also note, the idea of Typhoon or Rafale in BAF service was a dream just a few years ago, so at least we can celebrate that.

Last edited:
Guys I was looking at a map today and was thinking about Indonesia with its Rafale and possible F-15EX purchase.
they will get the new F4 variant which is interesting, maybe all new build fighters will be F4s.

Looks like the West is trying to contain shipping pathways for China. i.e. strait of Malacca and alternates.
The Indonesians would have bought fighters with or without disagreements with China
If this is the case, then Myanmar becomes all the more important for China.
We would gain the upper-hand against Myanmar by simply buying one squadron of Western MRCA. That's it
Heck, even F-16V will be enough , add to that some years of USAF training which is the best. Wouldn't even need these twin engine fighters. its so obvious
Remember : Nothing gets done without civilian approval , maybe its not the BAF's fault.

they will get the new F4 variant which is interesting, maybe all new build fighters will be F4s.

The Indonesians would have bought fighters with or without disagreements with China

We would gain the upper-hand against Myanmar by simply buying one squadron of Western MRCA. That's it
Heck, even F-16V will be enough , add to that some years of USAF training which is the best. Wouldn't even need these twin engine fighters. its so obvious
Remember : Nothing gets done without civilian approval , maybe its not the BAF's fault.

It's interesting that Indonesia moved on from Russian fighters. i.e. Su-35.

International politics is such a fascinating thing.

We have to view all regional/lesser actor conflicts through the lens of the big boys.

US, China and Russia.

Then of course EU/UK.

Everyone else are just pawns.

Getting back to Indonesia I wonder why they decided to buy Rafale and maybe F-15EX and not Su-35 like originally planned.

@Indos

Have a watch.

1644622170603.png

The point I am trying to make is if I am China; that valuable coastline Myanmar offers me looks really intriguing.

Last edited:

We have to view all regional/lesser actor conflicts through the lens of the big boys.

US, China and Russia.

Then of course EU/UK.

Getting back to Indonesia I wonder why they decided to buy Rafale and maybe F-15EX and not Su-35 like originally planned.

@Indos

Have a watch.

View attachment 814699

The point I am trying to make is if I am China; that valuable coastline Myanmar offers me looks really intriguing.

interesting fact: Indonesia deal for 42 Rafales was 8.1billion USD (bear in mind these are the new F-4 variants )

that means ~ 192.9 million USD per jet
similar to BD MRCAs which will cost 187 million USD per jet

@Indos

Have a watch.

View attachment 814699

CATSAA problem for Su 35 acquisition, so we need to buy from non Russian plane. China is impossible due to our dispute in SCS, while France deal is part of big deal that include geopolitics.

Indonesia and France have become strategic partners and the Rafale deal is just part of another MOU and cooperation. Just see and wait for Indonesian Defense Forum new post, at least one Indonesian has already posted submarine building cooperation between PAL Indonesia and Naval Group from France.

F 15 EX is just a whislist from now, you need to understand Indonesian politics, Minister of Defense has huge ego since he is Jokowi challenger in Presidential Election, many time he makes plan before coordinating with Finance Minister.

I have already explain the issue if you find any thread about Indonesia Rafale deal

US, China and Russia.

Then of course EU/UK.

@Indos

Have a watch.

View attachment 814699

From the maps, malacca and sunda look easy to close for India, Lombok uncertain, and the large detour impossible.

It is not about money. In the absence of a dedicated Defence Minister and Joint Chief, their is no one other than BAF leadership who can emphasise on the criticality of credible air power for overall defence. Our ministers and bureaucrats do not understand concepts such as BVR, Network Centric Warfare, AESA, etc. All they see is sexy looking Fulcrums carry out high G manoeuvres and assume our air force is "good enough".

It is the job of BAF to convince the govt by selecting a fighter jet which check all boxes and presenting a comprehensive threat asessment to the cabinet and bureaucracy to make them realise the urgency and deficiencies. The government has many many different spending priorities. As they don't get poked enough by BAF, they assume BAF is doing just fine with the current rate of progress. Their is no public pressure either as most Bangladeshis have zero clue about air defence.

The other two services do their part just fine. Personnel of these two services also acknowledge what a joke BAF is as an organisation.

Where do you think Hasina gets her fluffy talking points about manufacturing fighters and helicopters without any clear road map? These are being fed by BAF.
If BAF faggots had any shame, you would see their leaders resign en masse but no. They just love the perks. BAF's Marshals are the most undeserving of their ranks on this planet.
@F-6 enthusiast
Defseca has gone from "BAF will announce EFT deal right after 2018 elections" to kind of copying my posts.

Re-visit my above post and then read the below:

:rofl:

@F-6 enthusiast
Defseca has gone from "BAF will announce EFT deal right after 2018 elections" to kind of copying my posts.

Re-visit my above post and then read the below:

:rofl:

he deleted the facebook post lol

Translated from French (French aviation magazine)

THE AIRBUS DS TYPHOON COULD DELIGHT BANGLADESH FROM DASSAULT AVIATION RAFALE.

1644842041809.png

Our most frequent readers know that since last June Bangladesh officially launched the Force Goal 2030 plan to acquire a new model of multi-role fighter aircraft. After having launched negotiations with France almost two years ago around the Dassault Aviation Rafale F4, this country now seems to want to make an about-face in favor of the Airbus DS Typhoon Tranche 4. The bad diplomatic relations between Bangladeshis and Indians are probably not unrelated. However, the American aircraft manufacturer Lockheed-Martin and its Swedish competitor Saab are present in ambushes.

For the record, Force Goal 2030 is a vast program to modernize the Bangladeshi armies with an entire chapter on combat aviation. It provides for the withdrawal over the period 2025-2030 of the Chengdu F-7 Fishcan fighters of Chinese origin and Mikoyan MiG-29 Fulcrum of Russian origin in favor of a single multi-role aircraft. Force Goal 2030 is now driving the nail in the coffin by insisting that the future aircraft must be produced in North America or Western Europe. Chinese and Russian aircraft manufacturers are therefore directly targeted in order to guarantee their exclusion from the competition.

Two years ago, the French Minister of the Armed Forces, Florence Parly, entered into negotiations in this direction with the Bangladeshi Prime Minister, Sheikh Hasina. These were articulated around about fifteen Dassault Aviation Rafale F4 omnirole combat aircraft. Despite good relations, it now seems certain that the talks have not yielded much convincing results. The Asian press is increasingly insisting that India's supplier countries are being diplomatically pressed not to arm Bangladesh. Diplomatic relations between the two neighbors are not good, against a backdrop of inter-religious tensions.
Yet the Bangladesh Air Force was clearly in favor of the Rafale.

So of course this could play into the hands of the two Western fighters reputed to be much cheaper to buy than the Rafale F4: the American Lockheed-Martin F-16V Viper and the Swedish Saab JAS 39E/F Gripen. And it's true. Yet these two planes currently have only an outsider role in Bangladesh.

Because now it is Airbus DS and its partner n°1 Leonardo who are focusing their efforts on Bangladesh. If the latter cannot, diplomatically and / or politically, buy the Rafale F4 he can invest in the Typhoon Tranche 4. Often presented, probably a little wrongly, as the real competitor of the French jet the European fighter is a little struggling currently. He no longer really chains export contracts and is weighed down by the Austrian affair. Especially the aircraft is much more marked as a machine adapted to the Near and Middle Eastern market thanks in particular to its Kuwaiti, Omani, and Saudi contracts. Bangladesh could truly open up the Asian market to it, as India did for the Rafale. We are now talking about sixteen combat aircraft, including three two-seater operational transformation aircraft.

As French, and as Europeans, we do not have to sulk our pleasure. Because if the Rafale F4 now seems rather out of the races it is Airbus Defense & Space that leads the market. And that too can be good for our national and continental industry.
Case to follow.

Photo © Leonardo

source: https://www.avionslegendaires.net/2...gladesh-au-dassault-aviation-rafale/#comments

BTW the author isnt some DEFSECA burner account , he is a genuine aviation journalist with some knowledge about BD
1644842803667.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom