What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

No offence dude but you have absolutely no information to claim BAF will buy Rafale.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did buy Rafale.

It sorta makes complete sense.

Although the major downside is that India has it.

But other than that why not?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did buy Rafale.

It sorta makes complete sense.

Although the major downside is that India has it.

But other than that why not?

Still why claim this when you have zero inside information?

It looks like a toss-up between Eurofighter and Rafale to me. F-16 is an outsider and I would not mind too much as long as it was the V-variant with AIM-120D package.

Still why claim this when you have zero inside information?

It looks like a toss-up between Eurofighter and Rafale to me. F-16 is an outsider and I would not mind too much as long as it was the V-variant with AIM-120D package.

The problem with US gear is that they likely won't release the full spectrum of armament to BD. i.e. Iraq and their Block 50/52 Vipers. (Forget about -D AMRAAMs)

So that may hinder BAF getting F-16/F-18.

Now Rafale is the next best thing due to its more mature antiship and multirole capabilities vis a vis Eurofighter.

We can see the emphasis BD is apparently putting on the maritime mission.

For that Rafale or F-18 > Eurofighter or F-16.

Again the downside is the Rafale in Indian AF service.

But, somehow I don't think BD cares.

It may be the this is acceptable to India much like them wanting BD to get Mig-35.

Or it may be that Rafale is better suited for BAF needs irrespective of India.

Or maybe a little bit of everything.

The only thing I know is Rafale > Mig-29 or F-7.

The problem with US gear is that they likely won't release the full spectrum of armament to BD. i.e. Iraq and their Block 50/52 Vipers. (Forget about -D AMRAAMs)

So that may hinder BAF getting F-16/F-18.

Now Rafale is the next best thing due to its more mature antiship and multirole capabilities vis a vis Eurofighter.

We can see the emphasis BD is apparently putting on the maritime mission.

For that Rafale or F-18 > Eurofighter or F-16.

Again the downside is the Rafale in Indian AF service.

But, somehow I don't think BD cares.

It may be the this is acceptable to India much like them wanting BD to get Mig-35.

Or it may be that Rafale is better suited for BAF needs irrespective of India.

Or maybe a little bit of everything.

The only thing I know is Rafale > Mig-29 or F-7.
The morons should just get Gripens and KF-21's - both with ToT. I don't need to justify Gripens. As for KF-21's, this one is a future proof platform. BAF has the opportunity to become an early investor and align its aeronautical university and complex with the rolling R&D.

Last edited:
burmese operate the ak-630 ciws (from soviet era) and manpads which will be hopeless against supersonic missiles.

regarding the probable rafale acquisition
look on the bright side ,
1. we could integrate UAE made weapons if we get the refale
2. Exocet block-3 , SCALPE (300km modified ), SPEAR EW (to deaL with s-400), built in ew suite etc
3. Bd gov can boast no. of raffle per capita :rofl:
4. kickbacks ? ;) 💶💶💶
5. Defseca's reputation in the gutter :alcoholic:
6. BAF finally gets something offensive

what's not to like ?

The morons should just get Gripens and KF-21's - both with ToT. I don't need to justify Gripens. As for KF-21's, this one is a future proof platform. BAF has the opportunity to become an early investor and align its aeronautical university and complex with the rolling R&D.

Yes, but what geostrategic impact does that have?

Sweden and South Korea/Indonesia?

Or France, UK, EU, US?

Remember who comprises the permanent members of the UNSC.

3 > 2

Perhaps BD is spreading her bets to carry favor among various world powers?

We all know who Russia and China supports in regards to Myanmar.

The other issue is of course India.

But I think actual conflict with India is next to nil.

it seems BD waiting for world to move on 7th gen so they buy 4+ gen fighter . BTW in this region first real 4th gen fighter was came just 40 years ago .
1639759052922.png

Desh getting washed away with "development" - and you are focusing on narrow things....

BAF HQ will be built new to rival the Pentagon !! This museum will look like a village primary school in comparison.

Ashitecchey....Just watch. ;-)

In other more serious news, look at this. This guy is saying Bangladesh will be better off buying the used/surplus Mirage 2000N from UAE air-force which will be superb bang-for-the-buck...UAE air-force is getting new higher spec Rafales by 2026 and they will let go of the Mirage 2000s cheap.

While a bit far out as an idea, the value proposition can't be beat, especially if the French can give us a good price on engine overhauls and at least partial teardown overhaul for the avionics and flying surfaces maintenance for the Mirage bodies (C/D checks). Great for interim measure in my opinion. Whatever we order as MRCA is not getting anywhere near BAF bases until say 2028. These Mirage 2000N's could be good stopgap measure...

Interim measures at some point need to stop. Buying legacy french jets to put up against latest french jet would only be proposed by hindutva agents or morons.

With airforce you have to at the very least meet or best your enemies qualitatively if quantity is out of question as is for us. Otherwise simply give up on having a airforce altogether as everything spent on such a venture is a waste of time.

Yes, but what geostrategic impact does that have?

Sweden and South Korea/Indonesia?

Or France, UK, EU, US?

Remember who comprises the permanent members of the UNSC.

3 > 2

Perhaps BD is spreading her bets to carry favor among various world powers?

We all know who Russia and China supports in regards to Myanmar.

The other issue is of course India.

But I think actual conflict with India is next to nil.
Bangladesh should not make procurement decisions to appease anybody. None of these countries would stick by BD consistently on every issue regardless of what you buy from them.
Our primary considerations should be:
1. Technological edge
2. ToT
3. Futureproofing
4. Modularity
5. Development of BAC and BAU
6. Lifecycle costs

Sweden through Gripen has a proven track record to support the above and I believe South Korea and Indonesia would offer the same as they would appreciate early investment in the development of KF-21 from BD.

Bangladesh should not make procurement decisions to appease anybody. None of these countries would stick by BD consistently on every issue regardless of what you buy from them.
Our primary considerations should be:
1. Technological edge
2. ToT
3. Futureproofing
4. Modularity
5. Development of BAC and BAU
6. Lifecycle costs

Sweden through Gripen has a proven track record to support the above and I believe South Korea and Indonesia would offer the same as they would appreciate early investment in the development of KF-21 from BD.

Procurement decisions are highly political.

Case in point, Qatar.

I agree with your points 1-6 though.

But there was a video which I'm trying to find where some BD official stated geostrategic concerns were also a factor in their decision.

Procurement decisions are highly political.

Case in point, Qatar.

I agree with your points 1-6 though.

But there was a video which I'm trying to find where some BD official stated geostrategic concerns were also a factor in their decision.
Yes, it was a statement from the Foreign Secretary. Going with Sweden, Indonesia and South Korea would not particularly irk China and Russia while the West would benefit indirectly by securing orders for components and armaments.
Mind you both Gripen E/F and KF-21 would be running on GE F414 engines (USA) and be capable of firing MBDA (France, UK, Spain, Germany, Italy) armanents.
KF-21 could potentially be able to also fire Turkish missiles.

Last edited:
Yes, it was a statement from the Foreign Secretary. Going with Sweden, Indonesia and South Korea would not particularly irk China and Russia while the West would benefit indirectly by securing orders for components and armaments.
Mind you both Gripen E/F and KF-21 would be running on GE F414 engines (USA) and be capable of firing MBDA (France, UK, Spain, Germany, Italy) armanents.
KF-21 could potentially be able to also fire Turkish missiles.

Ya, I think Indonesia can integrated Turkish SOM missile in KF21/IFX. Korean by the way will not likey do that as they have similar missile under development.

By the way does Bangladesh already build Aerospace company yet ? As I know BD has already made an Aerospace university

Ya, I think Indonesia can integrated Turkish SOM missile in KF21/IFX. Korean by the way will not likey do that as they have similar missile under development.

By the way does Bangladesh already build Aerospace company yet ? As I know BD has already made an Aerospace university

Yes an aeronautical center (Bangabandhu Aeronautical Center) has been established by MoD/BAF.

Currently it is mainly focusing on overhauling Chengdu F-7's and is set to maintain Grob 120P trainers.

Last edited:
Yes an aeronautical center (Bangabandhu Aeronautical Center) has been established by MoD/BAF.
Currently it is mainly focusing on overhauling Chengdu F-7's and is set to maintain Grob 120P trainers.

MRO business can be quite big as well, just see Singapore who dont have complete aerospace company like Indonesian Aerospace, KAI Korea, TAI Turkish and others, but with military MRO alone, Singapore Aerospace (under ST engineering) can get so far around 500 C 130 planes MRO business ( refurbished, overhaul, upgrade).

For MRO business, Indonesian SOE, GMF AeroAsia, has also entered military MRO business and currently get order around 80 million USD to do MRO for Indonesian C 130 planes. Hopefully after this experience we can be a competitor of Singapore Aerospace to do MRO business for C 130 planes where the planes population around the world is quite many.

Starting from MRO is a good step

This GMF AeroAsia facility for C 130 planes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom