What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

It's a deadly, unbeatable mix if you can afford it. Realistically speaking, BAF should focus on mutiplying its single engine fleet for now.

Agree 100%.

Also, I wonder if BAF can arrange to send out young pilots to train from the start in the UK, Italy, US or Turkey?

Meaning a new breed of young airmen.

BAF seriously needs to upgrade the caliber of new members to man these potent and expensive platforms in order to use them to their maximal ability.

This is a potential crossroads for BAF and Bangladesh.

F16 from 2026 in my opinion is pointless. It can not evolve much more, its redundant technology. If is was to be bought now it would make sense.

J10B/C or TFX if it is ready would be the better choice.

F16 from 2026 in my opinion is pointless. It can not evolve much more, its redundant technology. If is was to be bought now it would make sense.

J10B/C or TFX if it is ready would be the better choice.

Why J-10C over F-16V?

TFX won't likely be ready by then.

Why J-10C over F-16V?

TFX won't likely be ready by then.

F16 is a 50 year old design so feel J10c will bring new functionality to the table.

I do not believe Viper will be offered to BAF, at most C/D variant.

TXF i agree wont be ready probably before 2035. By that time possibly likes of Tempest maybe flying which would be a generation ahead.

I guess its my gut instinct that F16 older variant although takes BAF forward, it does not secure BD skies.

F16 is a 50 year old design so feel J10c will bring new functionality to the table.

TXF i agree wont be ready probably before 2035. By that time possibly likes of Tempest maybe flying which would be a generation ahead.

I guess its my gut instinct that F16 older variant although takes BAF forward, it does not secure BD skies.

The only new builds are Block 70/72 coming out from the South Carolina line. (The one that Serniabat most likely visited recently)

So if BAF looks for newly built examples, its gonna be 70 or 72 depending on engine choice.

(The US seems to want to position the F-16V as its standard offering to allies/"worthy" nations.)

Yes, the F-16 is nearly 50 years old but so what?

It's gonna be a relevant platform for decades to come.

Either J-10C or F-16V is fine.

But given that BAF thankfully wants to transition to a Western sourced air arm, F-16V makes more sense than J-10C.

Politically, Bangladesh should be fine.

But still its important to get access to cutting edge munitions and not be limited to older generation ones. i.e Egypt and Iraq.

I think and hope TFX will end up with BAF but not for a LONG LONG time.

I'm gonna include 3 links below:

F-16 is an excellent choice for BAF.

The issue will be to get access to things like AMRAAM.

Last edited:
The only new builds are Block 70/72 coming out from the South Carolina line. (The one that Serniabat most likely visited recently)

So if BAF looks for newly built examples, its gonna be 70 or 72 depending on engine choice.

(The US seems to want to position the F-16V as its standard offering to allies/"worthy" nations.)

But given that BAF thankfully wants to transition to a Western sourced air arm, F-16V makes more sense than J-10C.

But still its important to get access to cutting edge munitions and not be limited to older generation ones. i.e Egypt and Iraq.

F-16 is a combat proven, highly servicable platform. I do not see BAF settling for anything less than Vipers.

I am telling you, each and every fifth generation platform around the world will disappoint. Radar technology will continue to evolve, chipping away at the so called "stealth" the fifth gen platforms offer.
4++ generation tech offers more bang for buck and will remain relevant until supersonic UAVs take over.

I believe the chaos of 2016 and 2020 elections coupled with covid have forced Americans to start opening their eyes and pay more attention to politics and US govt corruption. The days of fooling the public to lure them into pointless wars are numbered. The military industrial complex might compensate for the resultant loss in business by paying off Congressmen to ease up restrictions on selling weapons to second-tier, non-NATO US allies like Bangladesh. It is not by accident that BAF is being offered Vipers and Apaches.

Last edited:

I agree with every point you have made. F16 is a great jet.

Mine is a personal value judgement. Globally we are again moving to a multipolar world. US is going to resist that for as long as it can and i anticipate reactionary policies from them.

I would rather get our defense equipment from Europeans and Chinese because it will allow for more room for strategic maneuver vis-a-vis india.

The only issue however, and a major one at that- can we trust US for supplies in the event a nut job in Delhi decides to make their dream of Akhand Bharat a reality and we are having to fight a defensive war. Especially now that US has made India one of it's lackey to counter China.

But otherwise I agree with you, F-16 is proven in battle and will be an excellent choice for BAF. It will keep the Burmese in check.

The only issue however, and a major one at that- can we trust US for supplies in the event a nut job in Delhi decides to make their dream of Akhand Bharat a reality and we are having to fight a defensive war. Especially now that US has made India one of it's lackey to counter China.

But otherwise I agree with you, F-16 is proven in battle and will be an excellent choice for BAF. It will keep the Burmese in check.

Why would India ever want to take over Bangladesh by force?

And if that were to happen, I would think and hope Bangladesh's contributions to the UN and world community would mean something.

As much as I dislike BJP India, I think any conflict is an almost nil possiblity.

And if it does come to that, well then its gonna be asymmetric all the way jungle war.

Conventional BD forces will probably be neutralized fairly quickly.

Also, I don't really think China would take up arms to protect Bangladesh.

I think Bangladesh is wise to diversify and source things mainly from UK, EU, Turkey AND the US.

I also think the Myanmar threat is understated.

Why would India ever want to take over Bangladesh by force?

And if that were to happen, I would think and hope Bangladesh's contributions to the UN and world community would mean something.

As much as I dislike BJP India, I think any conflict is an almost nil possiblity.

And if it does come to that, well then its gonna be asymmetric all the way jungle war.

Conventional BD forces will probably be neutralized fairly quickly.

Also, I don't really think China would take up arms to protect Bangladesh.

I think Bangladesh is wise to diversify and source things mainly from UK, EU, Turkey AND the US.

I also think the Myanmar threat is understated.

I meant conflict in the worst case scenario. Will US supply us spares and armament in case we are attacked by India? I agree the possibility is extremely remote, but it will always will be there.

But you are right, conventionally we can't match up in terms of number and conventional war will be over within first few hours.

I meant conflict in the worst case scenario. Will US supply us spares and armament in case we are attacked by India? I agree the possibility is extremely remote, but it will always will be there.

But you are right, conventionally we can't match up in terms of number and conventional war will be over within first few hours.

India is not Australia and there is no interest for USA to help India and put arm embargo to BD if India/BD conflict arises. If india fight against China, then USA will likely help India since China is US rival.

What I see if India attack and even invade BD, there will be condemnation from whole World, including US and European nations and Muslim nation will impose embargo to India. No more oil and gas

F16 is a perfect design for Non Stealth generation fighter.

Just compare

1631502500905.png

1631502539021.png

They are pragmatic due to their economic problem, they face slower economic growth if we compare with ASEAN countries like Indonesia, Vietnam, and Philippine. With this Covid pandemic, their problem is getting much worse, while Indonesia is still able to just post minus 2 percent growth last year, Malaysia economy was severely hit and posted minus 6 % growth in 2020. For 2021, Malaysia economy is projected by their Government to grow about 3-4 % due to prolong Pandemic situation where Fitch Rating even downgrade their previous projection on Malaysia into Zero percent growth this year. Actually I still believe Malaysia can get at least 3 % growth this year, but this growth is still not enough to bring back their GDP like in 2019.

On the other hand RCEP will get effective maybe around 2023 and most ASEAN nations inside it will try to strengthen their competitiveness since the competition will be more fierce than before. Any one wants to be a winner in this FTA framework, and it includes my nation, Indonesia. Indonesia is also pragmatic and focus more in bringing the financial healthiness into our economy after debt to GDP ratio increases from 30 % (2019) into 43 % this year ( end of 2021) due to Economic stimulus and Health/Social spending to cushion Pandemic impact. We have hard experience during Asian Financial Crisis and dont want the same experience happen again in the future.

This is why ambitious Prabowo plan on Rafale/F 15 EX/ FREEM get hurdles to be executed due to conservative and strategic calculation by our economic team (MoF, MoP, MoI). Not surprising that instead of ordering Rafale, our government choose C 130 J SuperHercules and additional T 50 Golden Eagle to be acquired soon. Hercules is needed because we only have 23 of them and many are already old while T 50 Golden Eagle is choosen since we are preparing more MRCA in the future and get at least 11 MRCA squadrons to fulfil our MEF (Minimum Essential Force) plan.

In term of MRCA, the highest possible acquisition is F 16 V for just 10-12 planes as our MoF only approve 1.1 billion USD foreign loan for this Jokowi final term (2020-2024). This is intended to make our former F 5 squadron get permanent fighters while Today they only can operate 3 SU 30 which is borrowed from other squadron.
Thank God this economy rona dona has little effect on Pakistani defence matters.
I can see economy is major hurdle in making defence forces strong for many countries defence

Back
Top Bottom