What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

who actually makes procurement decisions?

why the interest in a two engined fighter over a greater number of cheaper single engined ones?

Simple at time of war range and loitering capacity matters and two engines are better than one.

BAF service and maintenance capacity is likely to be poor. We would be lucky to have 50% of our birds available at any time. Also how much trust would you put on BAF to be able to rotate and gets the birds up in air during conflict efficiently?

When quantitity is not a possibility quality is all you have.

Simple at time of war range and loitering capacity matters and two engines are better than one.

BAF service and maintenance capacity is likely to be poor. We would be lucky to have 50% of our birds available at any time. Also how much trust would you put on BAF to be able to rotate and gets the birds up in air during conflict efficiently?

Don't get me wrong, Eurofighter is an amazing platform.

It's just that I was thinking about how BAF is going to transition into fielding a 5th generation type.

Are they planning on having three different platforms?

MRCA, single engine replacement for F-7BG/BGI AND a 5th generation type in time?

I just wonder how they plan on making that path to fielding a TFX or KFX or J-35 around 2035 to 2045?

You have made a great point indeed. Happy to participate in a sensible discussion.

Propaganda works to a certain point until your adversary realizes you’re bluffing. The problem with incompetent people is that they know they are incompetent and want to hide their incompetence through disinformation and propaganda.

Hasina misappropriated $126 million through defense deals.

Bangladesh is in the same situation as the South African “Gupta Clan”. Bounce corrupt people captured the state of Bangladesh; In Bangladesh, it should be called the “Hasina clan”.

I am personally neutral on Hasina.

But stop polluting this thread.

You have made a great point indeed. Happy to participate in a sensible discussion.

Propaganda works to a certain point until your adversary realizes you’re bluffing. The problem with incompetent people is that they know they are incompetent and want to hide their incompetence through disinformation and propaganda.

Hasina misappropriated $126 million through defense deals.

Bangladesh is in the same situation as the South African “Gupta Clan”. Bounce corrupt people captured the state of Bangladesh; In Bangladesh, it should be called the “Hasina clan”.

Raihan bhai ebar thamen. Onek hoise. Shobai jane Awami League chor.

I would argue that loitering capability is more tied to servicability than service range.
Single engine fighters like Gripens and Vipers would be more servicable due to high MTBO and cheaper spares compared to white elephants like EFTs, Rafales or Sukhois.

It's just that I was thinking about how BAF is going to transition into fielding a 5th generation type.

MRCA, single engine replacement for F-7BG/BGI AND a 5th generation type in time?

I just wonder how they plan on making that path to fielding a TFX or KFX or J-35 around 2035 to 2045?
EFT is fantastic no doubt but it cannot be your mainstay go-to fighter jet for rapid deployment, surveillance and and sustained air defence patrols.
BAF should quickly procure 3-4 squadrons of Gripens and/or Vipers and then think about EFTs if they can still find funding for it.

Fifth generation fighters are a waste of time: all cost, little benefit. USAF has almost given up on making F-22s and F-35s their backbone.

BAF should maintain a 4++ gen fleet for the next 5-6 decades and use the time to research and develop supersonic UAVs.

In fact I want to see BAF/BN invest in maritime strike UAVs along with unmanned refuellers. No country on Earth would dare enforcing a naval blockade on BD if this could be achieved.

I don't want to see a penny being wasted on 5th gen rubbish.

Last edited:

I would like EFT in BAF but my comments were more to do with 2 engine fighter vs single engine fighters.

5th generation fighters for BAF when we dont have 4th generation is too speculative i think at this stage.

i read somewhere that the Foxbat required 5kg of silver to service the engines(when it needed to be serviced). It Managed to shoot down a USN F-18 with an R-40R missile.
Kind of sad how the MiKoyan Design Bureau is dead and being sidelined by Sukhoi

Delusional.
He is behaving as if he is some Gov. Official. Seriously why would anyone do such a thing ? Why would a defense contractor contact some rando with a facebook page to sell their stuff to BD ? Please Look at the wording on this tweet.

He’s a army contractor who sells rice and daal to the army. No joke
I would be nice if BAF could replace the 3 lost examples and work with Leonardo to optimize the Yak to train future pilots for Eurofighter.
We probably won’t get any support from Russians if we mess with the onboard computers and Leonardo would probably not guarantee what we ask of them to do
In fact I want to see BAF/BN invest in maritime strike UAVs along with unmanned refuellers. No country on Earth would dare enforcing a naval blockade on BD if this could be achieved.
Perfectly said. Straight to the point. Too much bs on here

Last edited:
He is just following neighborly practice. Hero-Honda, TVS-Suzuki, Bajaj-Kawasaki were all Japanese JV's before Indians started calling these indigenous technology startups. Hell I even heard some Sanghi folks call the flying Samosa something made with 'indigenous technology'.
Bangladesh is full of these brands you mention. Cringed 😬

Bangladesh is full of these brands you mention. Cringed 😬

They should slowly start imposing heavy tariffs on Motorcycle parts and CKD/SKD kits (like they use to screw together motorcycles from India assembled locally). There is hardly in value addition happening locally and this type of policy (sponsored by Indian Hero-Honda, TVS-Suzuki, Bajaj-Kawasaki influence I'm sure) will never encourage local parts motorcycle parts industry to develop.

Our people have to get jobs and they have to eat (better). Especially on Motorcycles assembled and sold locally.

Sorry for the off topic post.

I suggest similar policy (heavy export incentives) for all manners of mass-market aerospace products too that can be manufactured locally.

Indians have started manufacturing doors and small panels for small airplanes, also maybe seats. Mahindra and Tata are both involved.

Those can easily be made using our skills, nothing special about driving flush rivets. Gotta start somewhere.

Last edited:
Delusional.
He is behaving as if he is some Gov. Official. Seriously why would anyone do such a thing ? Why would a defense contractor contact some rando with a facebook page to sell their stuff to BD ? Please Look at the wording on this tweet.

He’s a army contractor who sells rice and daal to the army. No joke

To play devil's advocate, DGDP regulations require foreign suppliers to register through local agents. I think Amra is simply trying to expand his business as a local agent.

Last edited:
Raihan bhai ebar thamen. Onek hoise. Shobai jane Awami League chor.

I would argue that loitering capability is more tied to servicability
Guys
UK to retire Tranche 1 Typhoons with more than half of airframe hours remaining (janes.com)

from UK sees Bangladesh as "critical stability provider" in Indo-Pacific | theindependentbd.com
'' The two delegations renewed their commitment to combat terrorism, promote and protect human rights, and cooperate on aviation, maritime and cyber security. ''

strategic dialogue between UK-BD.
Bangladesh-UK strategic dialogue underway in London | Dhaka Tribune

BD absolutely must stay away from these. Would be very expensive to maintain even if UK gives away for free. They offer no advantage against raffles and not much better than the migs we have. Better more Migs than tranche 1 EFT as they will represent zero upgrade in capacity for BAF.

BD absolutely must stay away from these. Would be very expensive to maintain even if UK gives away for free. They offer no advantage against raffles and not much better than the migs we have. Better more Migs than tranche 1 EFT as they will represent zero upgrade in capacity for BAF.
yea but what if they are upgraded with Captor-E (better than rafle ) + HMD and PGM capabilities ? maybe supplement the new (16) jets with old ones to increase numbers.

Back
Top Bottom