What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

I think Bangladesh need to concentrate on its economy until 2030 and dont need to buy new fighter jet along the period.

Bangladesh then can start replacing all of their fighter with 5 generation fighter starting in 2030 when its economy have been tripled.

KFX/IFX program can be one of the option if this program is successful and can reach its mass production phase in 2026.

lUzlJdx.jpg

BAF cannot wait any longer and it is shameful that a country like Myanmar that has a GDP five times less has a much better air-force.

As BD has been wasting so much time already and still in 2020 has not ordered any modern 4+ generation fighters, it does not make much sense to waste too much treasure on buying say 100 4+ gen fighters over this decade, as they will start becoming obsolete in the 2030s.

The KFX/IFX program will not really be suitable as too much of the tech will be US/Korean. Korea is heavily under US influence and could easily buckle to US pressure.

I would say get a couple of squadrons of 4+ gen fighters from the West now, then wait till 2025 when the FC-31 should be ready for export and start ordering this in numbers as the financial capability of BD allows.

Myanmar is not that much of a threat as it is so tiny and so could be taken care of with maybe 2-3 squadrons of 4+ gen fighters at most and then BAF could be geared with much larger numbers of Chinese 5th gen fighters to be able to deter the Indians for the longer term, who are the real threat to BD.

You have to get some modern platforms in service that at least match up with the capabilities that Myanmar is going to be deploying.

Hypothetically speaking, what happens if there is a maritime or border dispute which turns hot.

MyAF will have Block 2 Thunders with SD-10 and its small force of Flankers with R-77.

BAF is gonna be picked off at range before it can do anything.

Yes Yes, the powers that be have been thinking keesu hobena........

That BS.

You don't know that.

Don't be caught with your pants down.

You have to get some modern platforms in service that at least match up with the capabilities that Myanmar is going to be deploying.

Hypothetically speaking, what happens if there is a maritime or border dispute which turns hot.

MyAF will have Block 2 Thunders with SD-10 and its small force of Flankers with R-77.

BAF is gonna be picked off at range before it can do anything.

Yes Yes, the powers that be have been thinking keesu hobena........

That BS.

You don't know that.

Don't be caught with your pants down.
What quality of SAM BA has?

Just beat me to it:D

Really interesting that despite the fact BD is assembling FN-16 through ToT it placed an order for the Swedish RBS-70NG. Very good decision to be diversifying and not just relying on the Chinese.
Can you post the source for RBS 70NG?

Stingers are a type of MANPADS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIM-92_Stinger

I'm not sure exactly what types BA operates. @Arthur @Michael Corleone @UKBengali @Atlas @Sehnsucht @leonblack08
Does some units operate stinger missiles?
No Stingers.
Bangladesh Army operates Chinese QW-2, FN-16.
QW-2 is the most numerous system in service. FN-16s are supposed to be made in Bangladesh Ordnance Factory.
There was a tender few months ago for another system. Competition was between Russian Igla-S & Swedish RBS-70 NG.
RBS-70 NG won.Not sure how many will be bought or the delivery date.Maybe @The Ronin or @ghost250 knows.

Really interesting that despite the fact BD is assembling FN-16 through ToT it placed an order for the Swedish RBS-70NG. Very good decision to be diversifying and not just relying on the Chinese.
I think FN-16 will be produced in numbers, hence we got TOT for it.It'll probably replace QW-2 as a cheap, effective system that can be deployed en masse.
While RBS-70 NG is being bought to maintain qualititive edge.A hi-lo combination.Part of our armed forces' recent trend of looking westward too I guess. @Avicenna @UKBengali

Either way, good to see BA focusing on both quality & quantity.

No Stingers.
QW-2 is the most numerous system in service. FN-16s are supposed to be made in Bangladesh Ordnance Factory.
There was a tender few months ago for another system. Competition was between Russian Igla-S & Swedish RBS-70 NG.
RBS-70 NG won.Not sure how many will be bought or the delivery date.Maybe @The Ronin or @ghost250 knows.

I think FN-16 will be produced in numbers, hence we got TOT for it.It'll probably replace QW-2 as a cheap, effective system that can be deployed en masse.
While RBS-70 NG is being bought to maintain qualititive edge.A hi-lo combination.Part of our armed forces' recent trend of looking westward too I guess. @Avicenna @UKBengali

Do we have confirmation or sources of BA RBS-70NG order or delivery?

Order is as much confirmed as possible, bearing in mind that it is Bangladesh.
I have heard about it from many different sources.And they're reliable, not like the types of BDMilitary.

Have absolutely zero idea about numbers & delivery though. @The Ronin @ghost250 & @Michael Corleone might know more.

Order is confirmed. Number not so sure. Some are saying upto 70 systems will be bought.
I think Bangladesh need to concentrate on its economy until 2030 and dont need to buy new fighter jet along the period.

Bangladesh then can start replacing all of their fighter with 5 generation fighter starting in 2030 when its economy have been tripled.

KFX/IFX program can be one of the option if this program is successful and can reach its mass production phase in 2026.

lUzlJdx.jpg
One would still need fourth generation fighters to keep being the work horse.

FGFA while very advanced, has cost & op load limitations. The amount of armaments they carry is limited in sake of stealth & they require longer, extensive & costly maintenance.

Fourth generation aircraft requires relatively shorter time for maintenance, means fleet availability is higher.

USAF has been using F 22 Raptors for decades now but they still has the largest fleet of 4.5 gen fighters. That tells something, doesn't it?

Last edited:
No Stingers.

Pakistan has tones of stingers in Storage acquired from Afghan Mujahideen during the Cold War.They proved to be very effective against the Soviet Air Force.
We mainly use them as bunker roasting. Just like we had used anti aircraft guns against Indian soldiers in Kargil.:angel:

Pakistan has tones of stingers in Storage acquired from Afghan Mujahideen during the Cold War.They proved to be very effective against the Soviet Air Force.
We mainly use them as bunker roasting. Just like we had used anti aircraft guns against Indian soldiers in Kargil.:angel:
Seen bakthar shikan used against Indian post in one YouTube video. Can’t find it anymore though

Back
Top Bottom