What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Not even 16. L 39 will be in service for 5 more years. So if BAF goes for more, the number would be 6-8.
damn i thought upcoming k8s replacing l39s completely?

Well that would be interesting to see. BAF is yet to make up for 2 K8W it lost. From what i hear they have decided to keep the L 39's for few more years to save money on attrition replacement.

They have lost 3 Mittens, god knows how long it will take them to make up for that.
how much do they need, they hardly buy anything and when they do, they have hemorrhoids

damn i thought upcoming k8s replacing l39s completely?

how much do they need, they hardly buy anything and when they do, they have hemorrhoids

Change of plan. L39 's could still fly if overhauled sufficiently. With L39 they will have 22 IJTs in service, a lucrative point to keep them.

They recently bought 4 PT 6 to replace the units they have lost in attrition. If you think about it, it took them two decades to replace the first PT 6 lost. Now put K8 & Mittens in perspective & keep going from there. xD

Last edited:
Change of plan. L39 's could still fly if overhauled sufficiently. With L39 they will have 22 IJTs in service, a lucrative point to keep them.

They recently bought 4 PT 6 to replace the units they have lost in attrition. If you think about it, it took them two decades to replace the first PT 6 lost. Now put K8 & Mittens & keep going from there. xD

22 IJT?

7 L-39? 7 existing K-W? 7 additional K-8W to be delivered?

21?

Also, 21 or 22 IJT in preparation for what?

How much longer must we wait??

LOL.

L39 's could still fly if overhauled sufficiently.

IMHO, they should upgrade the L39's (while sending them back to Czech Republic in rolling order in batches of three/four) because the latest example of L39 variant is L39 NG (new generation), which boasts a US-made Williams FJ-44 engine (better MTBF/MTBO and much improved reliability due to this being used in most western business jets), lighter fuselage, Italian FIAR Grifo radar, better cockpit with Boeing supplied avionics, wet wings which delete the tip-tanks, and (get this) five hard-points instead of two to support missiles such as sidewinder types. Modifications have been made to support much more load and g-force compared to L39 version that BAF uses.

Thai AF which has similar L39's like BAF, are evaluating this new trainer.

Cost is Euro 12 Million per example. Cost could be defrayed by returning the existing L39 airframes and engines (Ivchenko AI-25).

So these new L39 NG aircraft could easily be used as light attack platforms by BAF. In fact L39 variants L59/L159 have been used by IRAQI AF against ISIS. Which is really not that glowing an endorsement for a fighter, but given what it is (a trainer) is saying a lot. Tunisian AF has also used their L-59's against Al-Qaida Maghreb insurgents. Perfect Anti-insurgency platform.

Note enlarged improved e-z-crack canopy a la BAE HAWK latest versions, absence of tip tanks and modified nose, a la Yak 130 & Macchi 346.

p1728601_main.jpg

800px-L-39NG_0475.jpg
screenshot-www-youtube-com-2018-04-05-06-54-41.png

Also note new glass cockpit...

7_resize.png

IMHO, they should upgrade the L39's (while sending them back to Czech Republic in rolling order in batches of three/four) because the latest example of L39 variant is L39 NG (new generation), which boasts a US-made Williams FJ-44 engine (better MTBF/MTBO and much improved reliability due to this being used in most western business jets), lighter fuselage, Italian FIAR Grifo radar, better cockpit with Boeing supplied avionics, wet wings which delete the tip-tanks, and (get this) five hard-points instead of two to support missiles such as sidewinder types. Modifications have been made to support much more load and g-force compared to L39 version that BAF uses.

Cost is Euro 12 Million per example. Cost could be defrayed by returning the existing L39 airframes and engines (Ivchenko AI-25).

So these new L39 NG aircraft could easily be used as light attack platforms by BAF. In fact L39 variants L59/L159 have been used by IRAQI AF against ISIS. Which is really not that glowing an endorsement for a fighter, but given what it is (a trainer) is saying a lot. Tunisian AF has also used their L-59's against Al-Qaida Maghreb insurgents. Perfect Anti-insurgency platform.

Note enlarged improved e-z-crack canopy a la BAE HAWK latest versions, absence of tip tanks and modified nose, a la Yak 130 & Macchi 346.

p1728601_main.jpg

800px-L-39NG_0475.jpg

7_resize.png

Nice but this and K-8W are redundant no?

Nice but this and K-8W are redundant no?

I don't believe so. K-8 I believe is ab-initio jet trainer. L39 is lead-in Advanced Jet Trainer (AJT). The two are in different classes. I could be wrong though.

Yak-130 was supposed to be replacement for L39 as AJT...

@Ronin,@UKBengali bhais your opinions?

I don't believe so. K-8 I believe is ab-initio jet trainer. L39 is lead-in Advanced Jet Trainer (AJT). The two are in different classes. I could be wrong though.

Yak-130 was supposed to be replacement for L39 as AJT...

@Ronin,@UKBengali bhais your opinions?

K-8W and L-39 are used for the same purposes.

Yak-130 is a step above so to speak.

I AM surprise BD went for K-8W instead of L-39 lineage aircraft.

Likely due to the cheaper price of the K-8W.

L-39, by accounts that I have read is a GREAT aircraft.

BAF might buy and install another Selex Rat-31DL AESA radar in Jessore or Cox's Bazar

L39 is lead-in Advanced Jet Trainer (AJT)

It's an IJT. L-159 Alca is the AJT.

I AM surprise BD went for K-8W instead of L-39 lineage aircraft.

Likely due to the cheaper price of the K-8W.

L-39NG wasn't available that time.

p1728601_main.jpg

800px-L-39NG_0475.jpg

7_resize.png
If it was up to me l39NG is a no brainer.

i am dissapointed about the musuem, open air so these are not protected from weather + some of them have AC installed on the exterior so it's not hot for visitors inside... i think both are bad ideas if preservation is main goals

i am dissapointed about the musuem, open air so these are not protected from weather + some of them have AC installed on the exterior so it's not hot for visitors inside... i think both are bad ideas if preservation is main goals
Conservation?? !!!! lol
They're just after some quick bucks!
Conservation can go to hell! xD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom