What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Refueller to fuel what? The tummy of air chief?

iu

BAF will replaced their Antonov fleet and possible contenders are CASA C-295W, C-27J Spartan & Antonov An132D

Well - my vote probably matters worth squat (like everyone else at PDF), but here goes,

CASA C-295W - Airframe is not strong enough for medium duty tasks like vehicle transport (even jeeps), good for para-drops only.

C-27J Spartan - One of my favorites, though older proven heavy duty design yet agile enough to use undeveloped strips in Bangladesh. Essentially a two-engined mini-Hercules. The plus for BAF is the commonality with the C-130J - I believe uses the same engine and props as the C130J so would be a slam-dunk choice for BAF because of commonality of parts and maintenance procedures. Look at below Royal Australian AF example. And we have a very close working relationship with Leonardo already through other Italian outfits like Agusta.

20171018raaf8558864_059.jpg

Antonov An132D - A brand new fuselage design (much lighter than AN-32) with reliable new Canadian fuel-efficient Turboprop engine PW150. Uses powerful new efficient-lift wing design with double-slotted flaps and slats. Did a great show-off at the recent Indian Air show.

Last edited:
Well - my vote probably matters worth squat (like everyone else at PDF), but here goes,

CASA C-295W - Airframe is not strong enough for medium duty tasks like vehicle transport (even jeeps), good for para-drops only.

C-27J Spartan - One of my favorites, though older proven heavy duty design yet agile enough to use undeveloped strips in Bangladesh. Essentially a two-engined mini-Hercules. The plus for BAF is the commonality with the C-130J - I believe uses the same engine and props as the C130J so would be a slam-dunk choice for BAF because of commonality of parts and maintenance procedures. Look at below Royal Australian AF example. And we have a very close working relationship with Leonardo already through other Italian outfits like Agusta.

20171018raaf8558864_059.jpg

Antonov An132D - A brand new fuselage design (much lighter than AN-32) with reliable new Canadian fuel-efficient Turboprop engine PW150. Uses powerful new efficient-lift wing design with double-slotted flaps and slats. Did a great show-off at the recent Indian Air show.

The premier selling point of CASA is it's cargo bay, that provide dynamism at cargo size. It's simply provides a much spacious cargo bay. BD army considered three points during trial ; it's cargo bay, that provides most in terms of para droping, Special OP like commado incertion, Sniper deployment with ATV when necessary.

I am not a big fan of C27J for the this reason, It's an old design & not much in term of cargo room.

Don't know much about An 132D. I am more inclined to think BAF will only follow suit with BA & order CASA.

Last edited:
howw many current antonov models have you seen bangladesh use for anything other than para drops?

I think their initial buy of the F-18D was limited to 8 by the Asian financial crisis of 97.

As to why they went Russian afterwards with the Flanker....perhaps politics.

But they are set again to choose another type to replace their Mig-29s which are now out of service.

Again probably limited in numbers.

Yes these were all definite factors. But the dropping of F-18 acquisition after the recovery from AFC is really telling, given the US lobby definitely pushed to keep the plan on track for Malaysia and threw few sops their way even. But Malaysia by then just wasnt really getting the return on investment they wanted and they were more fiscally compressed on top...which would be key considerations for BD.

Yes these were all definite factors. But the dropping of F-18 acquisition after the recovery from AFC is really telling, given the US lobby definitely pushed to keep the plan on track for Malaysia and threw few sops their way even. But Malaysia by then just wasnt really getting the return on investment they wanted and they were more fiscally compressed on top...which would be key considerations for BD.

Why Malaysia not opt for more F/A 18 after AFC is much to do with payment scheme, after all they bought their Su 30 MKM with commodities too and lennient of Russian to provide technical arrangement for the MKM to use several western system. If you follow their Defense issues from reputable sources like http://www.malaysiandefence.com/

Their MoD is much prefer to use and maintain their F/A 18 even compared to their much newly acquired Su 30 MKM, and right now is in talks to acquire ex kuwaiti Legacy hornet

Why Malaysia not opt for more F/A 18 after AFC is much to do with payment scheme, after all they bought their Su 30 MKM with commodities too and lennient of Russian to provide technical arrangement for the MKM to use several western system. If you follow their Defense issues from reputable sources like http://www.malaysiandefence.com/

Their MoD is much prefer to use and maintain their F/A 18 even compared to their much newly acquired Su 30 MKM, and right now is in talks to acquire ex kuwaiti Legacy hornet

Malaysia defence budget has been cut by 10% to 3.2 billion US dollars.

BD defence budget has risen by 10% to nearly 4 billion US dollars. Arms imports are separate to this.

@Nilgiri

You need to calculate how much corrupt your army first

No way of knowing who is more corrupt and so assume equal corruption.
Anyway the trend is that BD defence spending will grow larger and larger with respect to Malaysia into the future.

No way of knowing who is more corrupt and so assume equal corruption.
Anyway the trend is that BD defence spending will grow larger and larger with respect to Malaysia into the future.

Myanmar outstrip you in recent purchase even with less budget, you need to calculate how much to spent on salary and benefit along with other spending

Myanmar outstrip you in recent purchase even with less budget, you need to calculate how much to spent on salary and benefit along with other spending

Hmm.
Actually no.

If you look at Navy, BN has procured far more and capable platforms than MN.
BA is also keeping up and has also ordered large landing craft that can transport tanks and troops to shores hundreds of miles from BD.
Only BAF has not ordered fighters like MAF has. That is due to Rohingya and US sanctions on Russia which is forcing BAF at finally looking at Western options. Ironically this will make BAF far better than MAF in the end but it till take some years.

Malaysia defence budget has been cut by 10% to 3.2 billion US dollars.

BD defence budget has risen by 10% to nearly 4 billion US dollars. Arms imports are separate to this.

@Nilgiri

@TopCat already said somewhere its all accounted for, military spending in budget (incl. imports) under the projected amount. So I really don't take much regarding the claims u make of "imports accounted outside". SIPRI agrees with @TopCat as well.

You are comparing to a country with ~ 5 times less people than you too, the margins of the same budget level for capex addition will thus be very different.

I'm not gonna compare India and Saudi Arabia (similar budget size in USD for defense) w.r.t goody-bag capex imports for the same reason.

Last edited:
@TopCat already said somewhere its all accounted for, military spending in budget (incl. imports) under the projected amount. So I really don't take much regarding the claims u make of "imports accounted outside". SIPRI agrees with @TopCat as well.

You are comparing to a country with ~ 5 times less people than you too, the margins of the same budget level for capex addition will thus be very different.

I'm not gonna compare India and Saudi Arabia (similar budget size in USD for defense) w.r.t goody-bag capex imports for the same reason.

Ok, even if you only take the published defence budgets, BD is higher than Malaysia and rising in double digits.

This double digit rise will not stop for a long time as BD budget is being increased in double digits every year.

Lol at finally agreeing with @TopCat just because it suits your narrative. You realise that the official defence budget only allocates 1-150 million US dollars next fiscal for arms procurement . BD defence imports have over the last 5 years in some years exceeded 600 million dollars a year. This money is for stuff built in BD.

You realise that the official defence budget only allocates 1-150 million US dollars next fiscal for arms procurement .

And your imports for 2018 is quoted as 100 million at SIPRI. I fail to see the issue here.

And your imports for 2018 is quoted as 100 million at SIPRI. I fail to see the issue here.

2018 was just an anomaly dude.
It was 438 million US dollars in 2016 and 320 million dollars in 2017.

If you look at what BD imports and what is the official procurement budget, you will have the answer.
Currently BD makes small arms, patrol vessels and manpads at home - this and other bits and pieces is what is counted in the official budget for procurement.

Honestly I do not even understand why you argue with someone like me who is very adept at mathematics.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom