What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

He is just putting forward the only two Western fighters that BAF has the budget to operate in any numbers - Gripen E and F-16V. Others like Typhoon and Rafale will only be affordable in like 12-16 planes.

Remember that BD also needs to buy maybe J-10C from China as well, as it wants two different suppliers to cover all angles.

Well he didn't mention the F-16, it was just Gripen and superbug.

Hornet is pretty expensive to operate...along lines of EF and rafale for sure. So its just weird is all.

Gripen and F-16 analysis only (for western choice)....that makes sense if cost argument already filtered in.

Hornet is pretty expensive to operate...along lines of EF and rafale for sure. So its just weird is all.

Gripen and F-16 analysis only (for western choice)....that makes sense if cost argument already filtered in.

I'm sure he didn't mean it as a comprehensive list but rather just 2 arbitrary examples.

Much ado about nothing anyway I think. I will just watch rest of the year and 2020+.

Yea its difficult to say at this point.

But I do find the whole situation fascinating.

I enjoy history and geopolitics.

And in the course of events, orientations change.

We may or may not be witnessing that.

True, it is Bangladesh, and obviously the implications are extremely limited for the world.

But its just something to discuss and ponder upon.

Also the sourcing of fighter jets are important markers in that they are big ticket items which are indicative of political realities.

Bangladesh doesn't need an air force. It has IAF Eastern Air Command protecting its skies. It should completely focus on it's economy and not its sovereignty or territorial integrity. Leave that task to India. Your target should be 10% GDP growth.
thanks for the insight, now stick to eating grass on top of those shiny nukes

British & Commonwealth Mil (2CG) has announced the tail numbers of BAF's upcoming C-130J Super Hercules aircraft through Twitter.

In 2018, Bangladesh Air Force signed a deal for 2xC-130J where the tail numbers were ZH-881 & ZH-883.In 22nd June, BAF signed another deal for 3 more C-130J where the possible tail numbers are ZH-887,ZH-888 & ZH-889.

UK RAF is retiring 13 C-130J of their fleet where Bangladesh has bought 5 aircrafts (Another one will come),USA (Blue Angel Aerobatics team) bought one and Bahrain Air Force bought 2. Remaining aircrafts are stored and France, Sri Lanka & Indonesia are lobbying with UK to buy those.

Under the Transport Aircraft Squadron modernization plan,BAF has procured 3xLET-410 from Czech Republic to train pilots in transport module where earlier they used to train them on Cessna T-37 and L-39ZA

BAF has plan to buy 6xC-130J from RAF & 4xC-130H from USA under EDA where one of C-130H got approved. By these BAF will gradually replace their C-130B fleet.

After that BAF will replaced their Antonov fleet and possible contenders are CASA C-295W, C-27J Spartan & Antonov An132D

Then BAF has plan to accure a dedicated aerial refueller like KC-130 from USA and possibly one Strategic transport aircraft like C-17 or IL-76MD90.

Credit- Evan Ahmed Shafi

Then BAF has plan to accure a dedicated aerial refueller like KC-130 from USA and possibly one Strategic transport aircraft like C-17 or IL-76MD90.
Refueller to fuel what? The tummy of air chief?

Hornet is not that much expensive to maintain only more expensive compared to F16, and he is a robust and had sturdy airframe compared to other Teen fighter. Myself even trying to promote This beast for Indonesia

20160815_Fighters.jpg

Hornet is not that much expensive to maintain only more expensive compared to F16, and he is a robust and had sturdy airframe compared to other Teen fighter. Myself even trying to promote This beast for Indonesia

View attachment 567169

Well as stand alone 1 squadron role, it will be pricey compared to F-16 and Gripen.

Lot of F-18 capability (weapons, sensors) esp with growler is only really unlocked with higher investment in the military architecture and proper scale there. So given the capability foregone w.r.t capital price (i.e stuff thats there baked in but you will never really use), it would be defacto transmitted to a somewhat parasitic extra operating cost is what I'm hinting at.

Integrated US architecture costs don't really apply to developing country getting a 1-off squadron of something for that reason.

View attachment 567169
so f16 cost came down over the years while mig 29 cost stayed the same or higher...
press F to pay respects to the operators

Well as stand alone 1 squadron role, it will be pricey compared to F-16 and Gripen.

Lot of F-18 capability (weapons, sensors) esp with growler is only really unlocked with higher investment in the military architecture and proper scale there. So given the capability foregone w.r.t capital price (i.e stuff thats there baked in but you will never really use), it would be defacto transmitted to a somewhat parasitic extra operating cost is what I'm hinting at.

Integrated US architecture costs don't really apply to developing country getting a 1-off squadron of something for that reason.

Malaysia?

Malaysia?

Yes BAF policy makers and top pilots should maybe talk to malaysian counterparts about their experience w.r.t actionable capability versus cost (esp amortised) of platform. Esp rational they went for SU-30 after it instead of building up more scale on F-18.

These kind of numbers/deep debates wont really be found on the layman internet.

That too I believe the malaysians got the older bug, not superbug. Superbug is even more larger broader network +C4I oriented for its unit hardware pricing....growler being the apex of the concept.

Yes BAF policy makers and top pilots should maybe talk to malaysian counterparts about their experience w.r.t actionable capability versus cost (esp amortised) of platform. Esp rational they went for SU-30 after it instead of building up more scale on F-18.

These kind of numbers/deep debates wont really be found on the layman internet.

That too I believe the malaysians got the older bug, not superbug. Superbug is even more larger broader network +C4I oriented for its unit hardware pricing....growler being the apex of the concept.

I think their initial buy of the F-18D was limited to 8 by the Asian financial crisis of 97.

As to why they went Russian afterwards with the Flanker....perhaps politics.

But they are set again to choose another type to replace their Mig-29s which are now out of service.

Again probably limited in numbers.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom