What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

This version in the link !

Well actually I want to discuss so that I can learn something . I have no good idea about military stuffs tbh.
The newer version of Gripen & MIG both qualify as 4++ generation fighters. MIGs have a longer range and is a good option for long range strike missions, Gripen has a short range but is supplemented by superior avionics and standoff weapons. Overall depends on the requirements of BAF.

Gripen-E?
Really expensive...
Please provide the real cost calculation if you have this . I mean unit cost , flying cost, maintenance cost of Gripen E so that it can be compared to other European planes and also with mig 35.

Didnt bd open a tender for 8 jets from russia last year? I thought we would be getting su 30 or mig 35

Please provide the real cost calculation if you have this . I mean unit cost , flying cost, maintenance cost of Gripen E so that it can be compared to other European planes and also with mig 35.
I mean it is too expensive to that size of fighter aircrafts.
If Bangladesh can afford Gripen-E, why not consider Typhoon, or Rafale?

Dude what are you smoking? Gripen E is 2/3rd the cost of Typhoon and Rafale and far cheaper to operate. It is single engined after all.

Typhoon and Rafale are WAY too expensive for BD.

Actually this talk about the Gripen itself is really pushing it as well but it is a far more realistic option.

Gripen C with AESA is reasonable.

It would also be mutually beneficial for BD and China if J-10CE is bought by BD.

It’s a shame J-10 hasn’t been exported yet.

Actually this talk about the Gripen itself is really pushing it as well but it is a far more realistic option.

It would also be mutually beneficial for BD and China if J-10CE is bought by BD.

Gripen E has far more payload and so can be used far more effectively in maritime strike role than Gripen C.

Look, if BD can afford Russian or Chinese fighters that cost massive amounts to operate it can afford Gripen E, which despite higher unit and weapon costs, costs a fraction to operate.

Gripen E has far more payload and so can be used far more effectively in maritime strike role than Gripen C.

Look, if BD can afford Russian or Chinese fighters that cost massive amounts to operate it can afford Gripen E, which despite higher unit and weapon costs, costs a fraction to operate.

Agreed.

Hopefully someone from BAF is reading all this.

Agreed.

Hopefully someone from BAF is reading all this.
But why BAF ( or any airforce) will accept the advise of civilians ( if you and @UKBengali are not civilians but military related person then that's different case ) , since they ( military ) are expert on this subject.

It's like a doctor must not take advice from others( who are not doctors), neither an engineer will take advice from any amateur person when he design something right?

What is your comment on this? @Avicenna.

Last edited:

I will compare SU-35 and Typhoon and see how they match up in cost per unit with long term maintenance. Gripen is a complete different class of aircraft. Our air force will pick the aircraft based on the role they are seeking, not based on foes.
As far as I remember BAF sent recommendation for Typhoon and SU-35/30 for maritime strike fighter craft to PM.
For the lighter class we should pick between J-10 or Gripen. Thats the fair comparison.
I am not worried about the budget though. We are not living in 90's anymore. You got to pay what you got to pay

But why BAF ( or any airforce) will accept the advise of civilians ( if you and @UKBengali are not civilians but military related person then that's different case ) , since they ( military ) are expert on this subject.

It's like a doctor must not take advice from others( who are not doctors), neither an engineer will take advice from any amateur person when he design something right?

What is your comment on this? @Avicenna.

Haha. I was only half kidding.

Of course they are the experts in that they have much more experience (obviously) and are privy to more knowledge regarding their operational needs and factors in making the decision of what type.

However, its never bad to hear ideas.

At worst, it does no harm.

At best case, it may offer a new perspective that you were not seeing.

https://aviatia.net/gripen-vs-mig-35/ So if we need to choose between Gripen and Mig 35 then gripen should be the better choice I think ?this link suggest that Gripen flying cost is much lower than mig , so why even think of Russian stuff if we can get European stuff at lower flying cost ? @Avicenna , @Nilgiri @UKBengali . I seriously prefer western stuffs to Russian .

Well Mig 35 the specific advantages (over gripen) is its 2 engines (which is not a small thing), weapons array (similar to what BD uses already and is comfortable with in doctrine/training etc) and also general training/use/role (given Mig 29 in use with BAF already). i.e you already have the contacts and soft power to some degree invested with Russia given Mig 29 (i.e you will just pop in more neatly and quickly and expand/scale relevantly to the newer iteration of Mig 29 that is Mig 35 essentially).

For Gripen or F-16 etc, BD will have to explore a few other matters much more compared to Mig 35 to really get the most out of them for the extra capital cost and also to really make use of their lower flight hour operating costs. i.e BD will have to be more commited to doing things "new" and the cost and time that requires too (for changing of attitude and training regimens and also creating and investing into soft power links for training with Sweden + US etc).

Well Mig 35 the specific advantages (over gripen) is its 2 engines (which is not a small thing), weapons array (similar to what BD uses already and is comfortable with in doctrine/training etc) and also general training/use/role (given Mig 29 in use with BAF already). i.e you already have the contacts and soft power to some degree invested with Russia given Mig 29 (i.e you will just pop in more neatly and quickly and expand/scale relevantly to the newer iteration of Mig 29 that is Mig 35 essentially).

For Gripen or F-16 etc, BD will have to explore a few other matters much more compared to Mig 35 to really get the most out of them for the extra capital cost and also to really make use of their lower flight hour operating costs. i.e BD will have to be more commited to doing things "new" and the cost and time that requires too (for changing of attitude and training regimens and also creating and investing into soft power links for training with Sweden + US etc).

For Bangladesh's purposes, I don't see how Russia offers much of anything politically.

Better to look to the West. i.e. US and Europe.

In regards to the Mig-35, two engines confer an advantage sure. Especially for maritime operations theoretically.

However, I assume operating costs will be much higher than the Gripen.

Also, I'd rather see Bangladesh embrace Western tactics over Russian ones.

Which requires of course obtaining the hardware needed to implement them. i.e. aircraft, munitions, support.

The cost will be greater up front for sure.

But I think of it as an upfront investment which hopefully will pay dividends going forward.

you guys are still discussing it ? dont you guys feel bor ? its been now 10 years this talk is on going here . its far better if you guys discuss current capabilities of BAF rather then gripen mig-35 f-16 f-18 EU fighter rafale j-10 here . even i click this thread after 3 or 5 years i see same talks going on here

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom