What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

they plan and talks are very old sir . gov can not dilver so they talk .

since last 15 years they are planning a duel runway on capital Dhaka airport and not yet purchased the land .since 2002 they are replacing mig-29 i think it will be years to be this dream of having an airbase will be true

Maybe. But thats all we have to go on for now.

Maybe. But thats all we have to go on for now.
they are building at cox bazar civilian airport at runway end some tarmic sir . this airport not even have proper taxiways . they make slots od runway to turn aircrafts . this place did not deserve to be an airport let alone an airbase . airbases need massive hangers taxiways from all sides of runways bathways emergancy exits and launching stations and so on . if someone dron a single bomb on this cox bazar base/port's on any place of runway it will be out of war.look here
upload_2018-8-7_19-31-58.png

1.png

they are building at cox bazar civilian airport at runway end some tarmic sir . this airport not even have proper taxiways . they make slots od runway to turn aircrafts . this place did not deserve to be an airport let alone an airbase . airbases need massive hangers taxiways from all sides of runways bathways emergancy exits and launching stations and so on . if someone dron a single bomb on this cox bazar base/port's on any place of runway it will be out of war.look here
View attachment 490817

View attachment 490818

I don't think they have started the construction of hangars and taxiways at CXB. Plus Google images are usually at least two years old. Usually older.

I believe the runway was also widened and lengthened recently which is not shown in your map above. Expanding the runway is only the first of a series of steps to upgrade the airport, which includes building a brand new terminal and passenger/cargo handling facilities as well as BAF installations adjacent to the runway.

From wiki,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox's_Bazar_Airport#Upgrade

"The airport is in process of being upgraded to an international airport, in order to attract more tourists,[1][2] which will make it the fourth international airport in Bangladesh.[3] The two phases of upgrading, will make the airport able to provide better facilities for parking, landing and take-off for wide-body aircraft. The whole project is ৳6 billion (US$77 million) project.[4]

The airport's runway currently has been expanded from 6790 feet to 9000 feet, and will be widened from 150 feet to 200 feet. The runway's load capability will be strengthened for wide-body operation, while the runway lighting will also get an upgrade. Equipment such as instrument landing system, distance measuring equipment, AMeDAS and VOR will be installed.[5]"

Therefore CXB has a wider runway (and almost as long) compared to Dhaka. Which is sufficient to handle B787-10, B777-300ER, B777-9, B747-8 as well as A380 aircraft.

More importantly - what is your point? :-)

Airbase/airport construction with dual runways in Bangladesh does not get same type of priority as does in a 'fauji' country like Pakistan where a lion's share of the yearly budget goes into defense-related infrastructure. Pakistan more or less is in a constant war-footing, we are not, as far as I can see. Our priority is preparedness and training more or less, which has intensified as the economy has improved and funding becomes available. We also have to balance regional politics in defense purchases unlike Pakistan.

More defense infrastructure (like CXB airbase) is being built but I doubt we will be in a situation like Pakistan to be armed to the teeth for nuclear war. Our economy and quality of human resources development (housing, health, literacy) will take priority at this time so their quality of labor can be eventually used as a basis to improve the economy in a robust manner.

Dhaka (DAC) does just fine 99% of the time with a single runway (14/32 with Length X Width of 10500 ft x 150 ft) and high speed exits and taxiways. One or two aircraft accidents in a year does not warrant the cost of building a second runway. BAF base Bashar at Dhaka is adjacent to the airport and BAF can utilize the runway for maximum utilization and efficiency for training and instrument test sorties.

DAC was built in the 1960's and was state of the art then. The Bashar airbase was built opposite the airport later so BAF could utilize the runway.

Until recently, passenger handling at the two DAC terminals was sufficient and did not exceed design capacity. Dhaka's new third passenger terminal is being built (construction will start third or fourth quarter of this year) to more than double DAC's passenger handling capacity in the interim before a brand new multi-runway larger international airport will be built away from Dhaka. At that time DAC will revert to being an airforce facility and domestic operations airport for which it's scope will extend to two more decades. Tons more infra is being built on the airport property such as several five star hotels and convention centers. You probably are not aware of any of this.

Building runways in a mostly moisture-less rocky and sandy country like Pakistan and a humid swampy land like Bangladesh are way different affairs, both cost-wise and activity-wise. So there is no point in comparing these situations.

Last edited:
I don't think they have started the construction of hangars and taxiways at CXB. Plus Google images are usually at least two years old. Usually older.

I believe the runway was also widened and lengthened recently which is not shown in your map above.

From wiki,

"The airport is in process of being upgraded to an international airport, in order to attract more tourists,[1][2] which will make it the fourth international airport in Bangladesh.[3] The two phases of upgrading, will make the airport able to provide better facilities for parking, landing and take-off for wide-body aircraft. The whole project is ৳6 billion (US$77 million) project.[4]

The airport's runway currently has been expanded from 6790 feet to 9000 feet, and will be widened from 150 feet to 200 feet. The runway's load capability will be strengthened for wide-body operation, while the runway lighting will also get an upgrade. Equipment such as instrument landing system, distance measuring equipment, AMeDAS and VOR will be installed.[5]"

Therefore CXB has a wider runway (and almost as long) compared to Dhaka.

More importantly - what is your point? :-)

Airbase/airport construction with dual runways in Bangladesh does not get same type of priority as does in a 'fauji' country like Pakistan where a lion's share of the yearly budget goes into defense-related infrastructure. Pakistan more or less is in a constant war-footing, we are not, as far as I can see. Our priority is preparedness and training more or less, which has intensified as the economy has improved and funding becomes available. We also have to balance regional politics in defense purchases unlike Pakistan.

More defense infrastructure (like CXB airbase) is being built but I doubt we will be in a situation like Pakistan to be armed to the teeth for nuclear war. Our economy and quality of human resources development (housing, health, literacy) will take priority at this time so their quality of labor can be eventually used as a basis to improve the economy in a robust manner.

Dhaka (DAC) does just fine 99% of the time with a single runway (14/32 with Length X Width of 10500 ft x 150 ft) and high speed exits and taxiways. One or two aircraft accidents in a year does not warrant the cost of building a second runway. BAF base Bashar at Dhaka is adjacent to the airport and BAF can utilize the runway for maximum utilization and efficiency.

DAC was built in the 1960's and was state of the art then. Until recently, passenger handling at the two terminals was sufficient and did not exceed design capacity. Dhaka's new third terminal is being built (construction will start third or fourth quarter of this year) to double its passenger handling capacity in the interim before a brand new multi runway larger international airport will be built away from Dhaka. At that time DAC will revert to being an airforce facility and domestic operations airport for which it's scope will extend to two more decades. Tons more infra is being built on the airport property such as several five star hotels and convention centers. You probably are not aware of any of this.

Building runways in a mostly moisture-less rocky and sandy country like Pakistan and a humid swampy land like Bangladesh are way different affairs, both cost-wise and activity-wise. So there is no point in comparing these situations.
my dear google images arenot 2 years old in fact they mention the dateon it what date image was taken 19/02/2018 counstruction site is clearly visible from runway end is apron .
you guys are really hard to understand . when we said same that health education is priority not to buy jets you troll us and then you yourself say same . that is what we are saying since ages here . runways upgrade is not only airport . multiple options runways are must for major airport today upgraded radars communication systems lounges and services are important too . please google how many time DAC was shut down because of single runway .even routine cleaning and maintenance they shut down airport .
last time it was 15 days ago it was shut down for 2 hours
http://www.unb.com.bd/bangladesh-ne...ne-blast-while-landing-at-Dhaka-airport/76123

DAC was an airport but today its messed up bus stand and all of the airport pics you seen above not worth to call airports .while you bashing my forces for lion shear i don't think our airports are for forces they are for civilions billions of$ paid to build upgrade airports for us common public .
last but no last you guys are really smart calling whole Pakistan humid swampy land. just wow . from karachi to skardu paksitan is humid swampy land. how many airports in bangladesh are covered in ICE ?

these are airbases
Pakistan_defence_Map.jpg

these are airports as per CAA
Pakistan_Airport_Locations.jpg

Yea very true. But it appears they are taking some action to address that.

There will be a new AFB in Syhlet and Barisal.

And the FOB in Cox's Bazar will undergo some sort of upgrade and apparently the new planes will be based there.

How much of this is true is anybody's guess but that's the official word from some guy in the government.

Don't forget Mongla and Payra will have new combined airbases and airports as well. These are well beyond planning funding and land-acquisition phase.

my dear google images arenot 2 years old in fact they mention the dateon it what date image was taken 19/02/2018 counstruction site is clearly visible from runway end is apron .
you guys are really hard to understand . when we said same that health education is priority not to buy jets you troll us and then you yourself say same . that is what we are saying since ages here . runways upgrade is not only airport . multiple options runways are must for major airport today upgraded radars communication systems lounges and services are important too . please google how many time DAC was shut down because of single runway .even routine cleaning and maintenance they shut down airport .
last time it was 15 days ago it was shut down for 2 hours
http://www.unb.com.bd/bangladesh-ne...ne-blast-while-landing-at-Dhaka-airport/76123

DAC was an airport but today its messed up bus stand and all of the airport pics you seen above not worth to call airports .while you bashing my forces for lion shear i don't think our airports are for forces they are for civilions billions of$ paid to build upgrade airports for us common public .
last but no last you guys are really smart calling whole Pakistan humid swampy land. just wow . from karachi to skardu paksitan is humid swampy land. how many airports in bangladesh are covered in ICE ?

these are airbases
Pakistan_defence_Map.jpg

these are airports as per CAA
Pakistan_Airport_Locations.jpg

Please read my post again.

View attachment 490817

View attachment 490818
there is a marine drive in cox bazar designed with fighter operations in mind... well protected hangars mean shit in such a small country...

also the current international airport will shut down once the new airport is up and running... they declared kurmitola as base for this very reason... the aeronautical center is also located here... this i heard will be kept free from civilian traffic... ADIZ has been set up for this very purpose

there is a marine drive in cox bazar designed with fighter operations in mind... well protected hangars mean shit in such a small country...

also the current international airport will shut down once the new airport is up and running... they declared kurmitola as base for this very reason... the aeronautical center is also located here... this i heard will be kept free from civilian traffic... ADIZ has been set up for this very purpose

BD is not really that small. Only looks like it as India and Myanmar are so large.

I agree that Marine Drive will provide extra runways for fighter aircraft to take off in terms of war and the perfect aircraft for this very purpose is Gripen. Gripen has been designed to be able to take off from highways in times of war.

@Avicenna

Last edited:
. even tair 2 cities multan and faisalabad and tair 3 city turbat airports have 2 runways
No, these three airport has single runway.Double runway present in Karachi Jinnah, Lahore A.Iqbal and the new Islamabad airport.All other airports has single runway.Check wikipedia.

Airbase/airport construction with dual runways in Bangladesh does not get same type of priority as does in a 'fauji' country like Pakistan where a lion's share of the yearly budget goes into defense-
Comparing military infrastructure and weapon inventory of Pakistan with Bangladesh is like comparing apple with orange.Much of Pakistan's military infrastructure like airbase were built in 1950s and 1960s when fat defence budget paid by both east and west Pakistan was spent to strengthen the defence of west Pakistan.Plus US was pouring billion dollar of military aid then.In 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, Pakistan's defence budget was 7-8 times bigger than Bangladesh in nominal terms, 6-7 percent of Pak GDP was being spent on military then.Then Pakistan's per capita GDP was 2-3 times of Bangladesh.Pakistan's defence budget is 3 times bigger than Bangladesh even today.There is no wonder that Pakistan will have multiple dedicated airbase with 2-3 runway while Bangladesh may not even have a single dedicated airbase up till date.One do not need to be a rocket scientist to understand that there will be a huge gap between these two military.

Last edited:
Please stop comparing Pakistan and Bangladesh.

It’s like comparing apples and oranges.

Rather think about whatever unique challenges Bangladesh faces. i.e. potential skirmishes with Myanmar and whatever steps BAF needs to take to deal with them.

In terms if Cox’s Bazaar. Man its so close to the border. I know BAF plans on using it as a FOB. But its so vulnerable to short range SSM.

I know I am beating this dead horse to death but Gripen/Eireye would be perfect for BAF for a number of reasons. One of which is its short field performance and thus its ability to use roadways. @UKBengali

Bangladesh isn’t planning for war against India or for that matter Myanmar.

It just needs the ability to defend itself effectively in case of actual conflict as well as have enough of a perceived strength to deter potential political situations which may lead to that conflict.

As we have seen, no one takes the Bangladesh military seriously today.

The goal should be to change that with FG 2030.

Please stop comparing Pakistan and Bangladesh.

It’s like comparing apples and oranges.

Rather think about whatever unique challenges Bangladesh faces. i.e. potential skirmishes with Myanmar and whatever steps BAF needs to take to deal with them.

In terms if Cox’s Bazaar. Man its so close to the border. I know BAF plans on using it as a FOB. But its so vulnerable to short range SSM.

I know I am beating this dead horse to death but Gripen/Eireye would be perfect for BAF for a number of reasons. One of which is its short field performance and thus its ability to use roadways. @UKBengali

Bangladesh isn’t planning for war against India or for that matter Myanmar.

It just needs the ability to defend itself effectively in case of actual conflict as well as have enough of a perceived strength to deter potential political situations which may lead to that conflict.

As we have seen, no one takes the Bangladesh military seriously today.

The goal should be to change that with FG 2030.

Coz Bazaar airbase is being set up to allow strike/fighter planes to fly far out into Bay of Bengal - best location in BD for this purpose. The threat in mind is India and not Myanmar.

Coz Bazaar airbase is being set up to allow strike/fighter planes to fly far out into Bay of Bengal - best location in BD for this purpose. The threat in mind is India and not Myanmar.

Indian navy can easily take it out tho hmm

There’s a much more likely scenario of conflict with Myanmar rather than India.

I’m not educated in military tactics other than playing various flight simulations and Harpoon while growing up so I don’t know much if at all. But speaking as a layman, I would think the main goal would be to deny Bangladesh airspace to any intruding aircraft. Secondly, combat air support for BA as well as Air interdiction. Thirdly, support of BN forces in the BOB.

In that context, what equipment do you think is needed? Both fighter aircraft as well as SAMS as well as support aircraft?

Given the current financial and political constraints and you were the Air Chief what would you do?

@UKBengali @bluesky @Homo Sapiens @Centaur @Cycle Macson @The Ronin @shourov323 @Bilal9 @mb444 @Al-Ansar @Michael Corleone

And any others I may have missed.

No, these three airport has single runway.Double runway present in Karachi Jinnah, Lahore A.Iqbal and the new Islamabad airport.All other airports has single runway.Check wikipedia.

Comparing military infrastructure and weapon inventory of Pakistan with Bangladesh is like comparing apple with orange.Much of Pakistan's military infrastructure like airbase were built in 1950s and 1960s when fat defence budget paid by both east and west Pakistan was spent to strengthen the defence of west Pakistan.Plus US was pouring billion dollar of military aid then.In 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, Pakistan's defence budget was 7-8 times bigger than Bangladesh in nominal terms, 6-7 percent of Pak GDP was being spent on military then.Then Pakistan's per capita GDP was 2-3 times of Bangladesh.Pakistan's defence budget is 3 times bigger than Bangladesh even today.There is no wonder that Pakistan will have multiple dedicated airbase with 2-3 runway while Bangladesh may not even have a single dedicated airbase up till date.One do not need to be a rocket scientist to understand that there will be a huge gap between these two military.
i am not 6 years old to get info from wiki

multan old runway was single until 2010 and then they made new bigger unway so now they have both primry use is new bigger runway emergancy and smaller aircraft can use old smaller runway

you can see it by you own eyes

Untitled.png

turbat made new runway some 5 years ago so old one one is operational as secendry runway
Untitled.png

faisalabad have go another runway few years ago when load was for hujj flights and b747s land here frequently
Untitled.png

and lolllz at your info only lahore karachi islamabad have deul runway ? what about quetta peshawar ?
Untitled.png

and your claim of 1950 and being a victim of 1971 is too funny . those airports of 1970s are nor flying clubs like walton and old karachi airport . paksitan build massive airports in 1980s and then again in recent years multan sialkot faisalabad turbat gawadar islamabad got new airpots . even now work is ongoing at peshawar quetta and many more places . these are civilian projects . its not bangladesh we blame everything to 1971 lolllz you think we are using 50 years old air bases ? if we do the same india will have overtake us since ages .karachi city have more runways hen whole bangladesh as a country
2 runways at jinnah terminal
2 runways at PAF masroor
1 runway at PN /paf base faisal
2 runways a malir can be operational at war times

PAF has own style of work in 2015 December ground breaking of bholari
Khawaja Asif lays foundation stone of PAF Bholari base in Jamshoro
http://dunyanews.tv/en/Pakistan/312294-Khawaja-Asif-lays-foundation-stone-of-PAF-Bholari-

2017 base was operational
Pakistan Air Force Inaugurates Bholari Airbase
http://flytewise.com/archives/206

airforce work like this not 50 years of independence and have no base call airbase
Untitled.png

Indian navy can easily take it out tho hmm
they are one beach even high waves on sea can take down these airports/bases
runway and sea have few meters distance . lets blame 1971 for it :lol:

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom