What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

my personal favourite

Buk M3

Description
Buk-M3 system, features advanced electronic components and a deadly new missile and could be regarded as a completely new system. The system is designed, developed and manufactured by the Russian Defense Company Almaz-Antey. The Buk-M3 system boasts a new digital computer, high-speed data exchange system and a tele-thermal imaging target designator instead of the tele-optical trackers used in previous models. A battery of Buk-M3 missiles can track and engage up to 36 targets simultaneously, while its advanced 9R31M missile is capable of knocking down all existing flying objects, including highly maneuverable ones, even during active electronic jamming. The Buk-M3 can also engage sea and land targets, due to its vertical launch capability. According some Russian newspaper website, the Buk-M3 would be made operational before the end of 2015. In December 2015, the Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu has announced that Russian Armed forces will receive in 2016 the first set of the newest medium-range air defense missile system Buk-M3.

Technical Data

Armament and radar system
A Buk-M3 missile battery consists of two TELAR 9A317M (Transporter Erector LAuncher and Radar) and one TEL 9A316M (Transporter Erector Launcher) vehicle. The TELAR is based on the GM-569 tracked armoured chassis, carries six ready to fire missiles mounted on a turntable that can traverse a full 360°. The turret of the Buk-M3 TELAR includes fire control radar at the front and a launcher with six ready-to-fire missiles on top. The TEL uses the same tracked chassis as the TELAR Buk-M3 but the turret is fitted with two blocks of six missiles.

Buk-M3_SA-17_medium-range_air_defense_missile_system_Russia_Russian_defense_industry_001.jpg
Buk-M3 TEL (Transporter Erector Launcher) vehicle with two blocks of six missiles.

Missile

The Buk-M3 uses the new 9R31M missile radar-guided surface-to-air missile (SAM) with increased range and enhanced overall performance compared with the 9M38 used on the Buk-M1 and Buk-M2. The Buk-3M’s target-destruction probability has reached 0.9999 and its maximum destruction range has been increased by 25 kilometers and now stands at 70 kilometers. The Buk-M3 is able to destroy any types of air targets from a range of 2.5 to 70 km, with a speed of 3,000 m/s at an altitude from 15 m to 35 km. The Buk-M3 missile has been optimized for the interception of low-flying cruise missiles but can also engage ground and sea targets. The missile system also includes a new digital computer, high speed data exchange system and a thermal target imaging designator replacing optical trackers on previous Buk models. The 9R31M missile is fitted with high-explosive fragmentation warhead.

Mobility
The Buk-M3 missile system is mounted on an tracked armoured chassis GM-569A as the Buk-M2. The Buk-M3 armoured vehicle is motorized with a V-46 multifuel diesel engine developing 710 hp at the maximum speed of 2.000 rpm. The hydro-mechanical transmission has a two-flow differential arrangement and includes a 4-speed planetary gearbox, an all-gear planetary reverse with a gear ratio of a unit, an integrated torque converter with a lockup friction clutch, summing rows, an input matching reduction unit comprising a bevel and a cylindrical pair of gears, control system pumps and a hydrostatic steering gear. The control of the hydro-mechanical transmission is electro-hydraulic. The cooling system of the engine and transmission system is of an ejection type and uses the traction engine exhaust energy The power required for the cooling system does not exceed 15 hp. The cooling system includes an ejector and a package of liquid-air radiators of the engine cooling and lubrication systems, the transmission oil system and the suspension shock absorber cooling system. The suspension either side consists of six dual roadwheels with the drive sprocket at the rear, idler at the front and four track-return rollers which support the inside of the double-pin track only. The vehicle can run at a maximum speed of 70 Km/h with a maximum road range of 500 km. The crew of 4 is located at the front of the vehicle. The crew enters and leave the vehicle via two large hatches located at the front of the armoured chassis. The vehicle is protected against firing of small arms and shell splinters.
Combat assets
- Target detection Stations
- 9A317M self-propelled fire unit with 6 missile (TELAR)
- 9A316M loader-launcher unit (LLU) with 12 missiles (TEL)
- 9T243M transport and loader vehicle

Specifications

Type

Medium range surface-to-air missile systems
Armament
- Six missiles 9R31M TELAR vehicle 9A317M
- 12 missiles 9R31M TEL vehicle 9A316M

WarHead
HE high-explosive fragmentation

Crew
Range
2,500 - 70,000 m

Guidance system

terminal semi-active radar homing with inertial mid-course and course correction radio datalink updating

Radar
Phased-array radar

Some suspected him to be Bihari (which of-course he so predictably denied). I never understood him. I suspect he's schizophrenic.

Asad71.

Al-Zakir? Saiful Islam?

I don't agree with a lot of what Zakir bhai has to say. But he is at least honest and we respect each other's opinions. And that is very important. Something that idune never quite understood. He was a very divisive member here.
lolz...

Before I came here way back in 2011, this forum was dominated by conservatives. They tended to be very pro-Pakistan, even in light to the 71' War. Some views were upsetting or even shocking to me. My views are very left. But I did learn quite a bit. That's when I started dominating slowly. As time went by, this forum slowly grew with a more diverse range of Bangladeshis. Also, the politics of Bangladesh did not go in their favor. Hence, the silence.

The mistake that the conservatives made in my view was that they antagonized many Bangladeshis way too deep. And that along with a divisive member like idune. That way, they lost any popular support. And the dumbest of them all, they went directly against India. It doesn't work that way. You gotta play smart with them (especially when they are 30 times bigger than you).

I think Bangladeshis regardless of left or right can stand united.

What is a u/s? Why wouldn't MiG Corporation be willing to cooperate even in light of their terrible after sales service and QC issues? Spares should always come from them no matter how bad they are delivering them on time. And from where did you get the information that Burma want to dispose of its Fulcrums? And as I've said before, Malaysia had already retired them.

As far as manufacture of spares go, even India suffers problems with them. But there had been discussions between India and Russia regarding the manufacture of some spares and components in India.

http://www.defensenews.com/articles...es-to-work-with-india-to-supply-weapon-spares

https://sputniknews.com/military/201701041049247824-india-russia-fighter-aircraft-pact/

I don't know if this is BS, but I'll give it a go.
http://www.makeinindiadefence.com/IN MiG-29 - 9.pdf
Unbelievable that these things are on the Internet.

I admit, all that took was a simple Google search with the sole purpose of verifying that piece of information you had provided.

Just explain one thing here: If the Indians themselves struggle with spares for the own Russian birds, how on earth would they be able to supply another country's? India is far from an industrialized country as of now. So, based on the data gathered (the latest), that piece of information you provided makes no sense. That kind of capability is only possible for an industrialized country. Or at least, deep knowledge of aircraft and engine technology.

I'm saying these even though I personally prefer Western jets.

I do not see how that is relevant to the BAF.

But I'll add something here for others to see. During the Kargil Conflict, the U.S. (not surprisingly) did impose sanctions on Pakistan, and that included their F-16's. And yet, they managed to keep them running long enough to keep the Indians at bay.
most likely!

yes that's true... Mr. zakir atleast knows to respect people i will give that to him. he has the mutual respect for one another.

China's HQ-16/ LY-80 SAM has thrust vectoring making its more lethal.
based on second buk series... its to be expected

As much as I despise him. He should not get such nickname.

He did fight for your (and his) country and put his life on the line for it.

If you did not do the same, you should not attach a moniker to him.

By all means criticize and call him jamati period.
i am happy to see the human touch in you! :) respect

my personal favourite

Buk M3

Description
Buk-M3 system, features advanced electronic components and a deadly new missile and could be regarded as a completely new system. The system is designed, developed and manufactured by the Russian Defense Company Almaz-Antey. The Buk-M3 system boasts a new digital computer, high-speed data exchange system and a tele-thermal imaging target designator instead of the tele-optical trackers used in previous models. A battery of Buk-M3 missiles can track and engage up to 36 targets simultaneously, while its advanced 9R31M missile is capable of knocking down all existing flying objects, including highly maneuverable ones, even during active electronic jamming. The Buk-M3 can also engage sea and land targets, due to its vertical launch capability. According some Russian newspaper website, the Buk-M3 would be made operational before the end of 2015. In December 2015, the Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu has announced that Russian Armed forces will receive in 2016 the first set of the newest medium-range air defense missile system Buk-M3.

Technical Data

Armament and radar system
A Buk-M3 missile battery consists of two TELAR 9A317M (Transporter Erector LAuncher and Radar) and one TEL 9A316M (Transporter Erector Launcher) vehicle. The TELAR is based on the GM-569 tracked armoured chassis, carries six ready to fire missiles mounted on a turntable that can traverse a full 360°. The turret of the Buk-M3 TELAR includes fire control radar at the front and a launcher with six ready-to-fire missiles on top. The TEL uses the same tracked chassis as the TELAR Buk-M3 but the turret is fitted with two blocks of six missiles.

Buk-M3_SA-17_medium-range_air_defense_missile_system_Russia_Russian_defense_industry_001.jpg
Buk-M3 TEL (Transporter Erector Launcher) vehicle with two blocks of six missiles.

Missile

The Buk-M3 uses the new 9R31M missile radar-guided surface-to-air missile (SAM) with increased range and enhanced overall performance compared with the 9M38 used on the Buk-M1 and Buk-M2. The Buk-3M’s target-destruction probability has reached 0.9999 and its maximum destruction range has been increased by 25 kilometers and now stands at 70 kilometers. The Buk-M3 is able to destroy any types of air targets from a range of 2.5 to 70 km, with a speed of 3,000 m/s at an altitude from 15 m to 35 km. The Buk-M3 missile has been optimized for the interception of low-flying cruise missiles but can also engage ground and sea targets. The missile system also includes a new digital computer, high speed data exchange system and a thermal target imaging designator replacing optical trackers on previous Buk models. The 9R31M missile is fitted with high-explosive fragmentation warhead.

Mobility
The Buk-M3 missile system is mounted on an tracked armoured chassis GM-569A as the Buk-M2. The Buk-M3 armoured vehicle is motorized with a V-46 multifuel diesel engine developing 710 hp at the maximum speed of 2.000 rpm. The hydro-mechanical transmission has a two-flow differential arrangement and includes a 4-speed planetary gearbox, an all-gear planetary reverse with a gear ratio of a unit, an integrated torque converter with a lockup friction clutch, summing rows, an input matching reduction unit comprising a bevel and a cylindrical pair of gears, control system pumps and a hydrostatic steering gear. The control of the hydro-mechanical transmission is electro-hydraulic. The cooling system of the engine and transmission system is of an ejection type and uses the traction engine exhaust energy The power required for the cooling system does not exceed 15 hp. The cooling system includes an ejector and a package of liquid-air radiators of the engine cooling and lubrication systems, the transmission oil system and the suspension shock absorber cooling system. The suspension either side consists of six dual roadwheels with the drive sprocket at the rear, idler at the front and four track-return rollers which support the inside of the double-pin track only. The vehicle can run at a maximum speed of 70 Km/h with a maximum road range of 500 km. The crew of 4 is located at the front of the vehicle. The crew enters and leave the vehicle via two large hatches located at the front of the armoured chassis. The vehicle is protected against firing of small arms and shell splinters.
Combat assets
- Target detection Stations
- 9A317M self-propelled fire unit with 6 missile (TELAR)
- 9A316M loader-launcher unit (LLU) with 12 missiles (TEL)
- 9T243M transport and loader vehicle

Specifications

Type

Medium range surface-to-air missile systems
Armament
- Six missiles 9R31M TELAR vehicle 9A317M
- 12 missiles 9R31M TEL vehicle 9A316M

WarHead
HE high-explosive fragmentation

Crew
Range
2,500 - 70,000 m

Guidance system

terminal semi-active radar homing with inertial mid-course and course correction radio datalink updating

Radar
Phased-array radar
i prefer buk over anything else really

i am happy to see the human touch in you! :) respect

If people here weren't so sensitive and go into nasty trolling escalation mode over little things each time, the conservations might be a lot better. Why does this subforum suck so much, is something its residents should really think about.

What is internet without trolls and memes?
when-i-was-a-kid-there-was-no-internet-sometimes-4609580.png

Haha...:enjoy:

But I do find this subforum is way more sensitive than others. I hope BD people over time become more confident, it will make for more mature conversations rather than 99% getting dragged into the equivalent of "yo mamma" insults with little effort (and often among themselves too).

Such attitude/complex afflicts whole region for sure, but BD especially I have realised. I guess given the violent history (esp turmoil and nature of birth of BD) and its location/size/conditions what have you....it can be empathised with...but I still hope for change as fast as possible.

If this forum had like 5 or 6 more of @Loki, each replacing a regular BD troll it would be quite a good one imo.

Last edited:
I remember posting a thread back in 2011-2012 about our interest in Buk-Systems. Guess I was right. But given how we have become more China-centric, HQ-16 A/B seems more of a possibility. Given BAF also wants assembly facilities, I doubt Russians would give that.

However, I wouldn't mind either. Both are quite good.

I remember posting a thread back in 2011-2012 about our interest in Buk-Systems. Guess I was right. But given how we have become more China-centric, HQ-16 A/B seems more of a possibility. Given BAF also wants assembly facilities, I doubt Russians would give that.

However, I wouldn't mind either. Both are quite good.
Russia is going to replace older BUK series systems with BUK M3 series. We can try to grab the older systems to build up numbers. BUK M3 would give a good qualitative edge though even if only 5-6 regiments are added.

Russia is going to replace older BUK series systems with BUK M3 series. We can try to grab the older systems to build up numbers. BUK M3 would give a good qualitative edge though even if only 5-6 regiments are added.

The tender document explicitly asked for brand new, manufactured after Jan-2017.

The tender document explicitly asked for brand new, manufactured after Jan-2017.
And our own Tech guys Must be there actively participating with the assembling process, at suppliers expense.

Last edited:

Then it is likely to be Chinese systems. Can anyone share a part of the tender here?

I understand that. Just talking the how we can easily achieve large number, outside this tender.

If people here weren't so sensitive and go into nasty trolling escalation mode over little things each time, the conservations might be a lot better. Why does this subforum suck so much, is something its residents should really think about.
The word you're looking for is circle-jerk. I understand your sentiment that you shouldn't stay quiet when someone insults you but that's the whole point of poking you. Generally I could care less what anyone talks about me, my mother, my country, my belief on the internet just as long as the guy who made the disparaging remark doesn't come across me irl. Internet anonymity makes one invincible that's that. "Pluck the good apple, ignore the bad," that's my motto.

IISS Military Balance 2016 says that Bangladesh Air Force has 28 Mi-17s (in 3 variants) and BD Army has 6 Mi-17s (1 Variant).

Are these figures accurate?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom