What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Embargo. And high selling price for middle eastern nations because oil.

I guess so. Geez, it's like throwing away all those fancy American equipment.

Can you explain to me how experience with mig 29 has been nightmarish for BAF. I only hear this forum has to say something bad about it. Every time I see bd pilots praising and often asking for more fighters (not necessarily it)

I read about the MiG's problems in another forum (a Bangladeshi one). Unfortunately, it is no longer operational. I even forgot the name of the place since it was so long ago.

I didn't say the Fulcrum is bad. But, we had issues with it. I mean, a poor country like Bangladesh operating a 4th gen. fighter back in the 90's was a bit overkill. But it was a good experience nonetheless. I have explained the reasons before.

We can reference to an old article though, it may give us some insights:
MiG-29s to be jettisoned

Tk 100 cr maintenance cost a year too high to afford, says Khaleda

M Anwarul Haq

Prime Minister Khaleda Zia has said that her government intends to dispose of eight MiG-29 fighters procured two years back from Russia by the Awami League government.

picture4.jpg
"The planes are sitting idle. The state is losing money just to keep them," Khaleda told a group of journalists in the capital yesterday, according to an Associated Press (AP) dispatch. "Bangladesh wants to sell eight Russian-made MiG-29 fighter planes because it cannot afford one billion dollars a year for spare parts and maintenance."

The prime minister was speaking to members of the Commonwealth Journalists Association (CJA) at her office. Hasan Shahriar, Farid Hossain and M Mukhlesur Rahman, president, secretary-general and organising secretary respectively of the CJA, were present.

Shamsuddin Ahmed, executive member of the Bangladesh chapter, was also there.

The eight MiG-29 Fulcrum jet fighters were purchased in a $124 million state-to-state deal between Dhaka and Moscow. Each aircraft was priced $11 million and the remaining $36 million was allocated for training and spare parts. Some ten pilots and 70 technicians underwent training in Russia as part of the deal to familiarise themselves with the aircraft.

The government of Khaleda Zia has levelled allegations of irregularities against her immediate predecessor Sheikh Hasina in procurement of the fourth-generation multi-role jet fighters.

Hasina, the leader of the opposition in parliament, has dismissed the charges and said that the fighter planes were purchased at competitive prices for 'defence of the country'.

The Bureau of Anti-corruption (BAC) has lodged a case with the Tejgaon police station, implicating Hasina and some high officials of her government for alleged irregularities in procurement of the MIG-29s.

In a volume of the recently published White Paper, the government of Hasina is also accused of willful wrongdoing in purchase of the military equipment from Russia. The prime minister told the newsmen that most of the MiGs had been grounded and become a burden to the exchequer.

If sold out now, the aircraft will fetch a good price, the prime minister is learnt to said. Otherwise, she added, the country will require at least 100 crore taka every year for their maintenance.

"It is therefore better to sell them and spare the exchequer from such a heavy, recurring burden," she concluded.

Besides the half squadron MiGs, the Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) is learnt to have a fully trained outfit to fly five squadrons, each having a standard of 16 jets. It has three squadrons of fighter jets. The fleet comprises Chinese A-5 ground attack aircraft, F-7 MB attack and defence role fighters and Czech manufactured L-39 jets. It has also some obsolete MIG-21 aircraft procured years back. It also possess two dozen helicopters, US made Bell and Russian MI-17.

The Chinese government is learnt to have offered to sell at least one dozen F-7 MB fighters which have proved to be less expensive and suitable for Bangladesh during the last government's tenure on deferred payment basis, but the deal was not accepted.

It was learnt that in an evaluation memo by one of the country's top security agencies it was told that the purchase of eight MiG-29 aircraft will not increase the combat capacity of the BAF, rather it might reduce it. "Maintenance requirement of the MiG-29s will exhaust the budget provision.

Other fighter aircraft may lose their effectiveness for lack of maintenance," it said. Ahead of the MiG purchase in February 1999, a military technical co-operation agreement was signed with the Russian Federation in Dhaka. Some analysts said it was not clear why such a comprehensive agreement was required to purchase eight MiG-29s.

While the US was unable to offer Bangladesh a comparable fighter jet at a competitive price, it attempted to prevent the government from buying Russian aifcraft, according to defence sources..
http://www.sdnbd.org/sdi/news/general-news/July/17-07-2002/Business.htm#MiG

Also seemed like a political ploy against Sheikh Hasina at the time.

Also why did riyaz leave Air Force? Or was he kicked out for some reason? He seemed to have trained in f-16

I don't know about any riyaz. Who's he?

Not strange I would say, if you consider the switchings they did in the past between the two.

I read somewhere that it has more to do with BVR capabilities, that they don't get with the American options. So why it would be bad? Everyone has to start new from somewhere, don't they?

I guess they had to start from somewhere.

The BVR part is actually true. It was due to pressure from AIPAC (the Israeli lobby in America). But still, it is a headache managing two completely different platforms from a logistical point of view. Especially in a war-time scenario. Logistics should always be easy and smooth so that we can win.

Interesting. The Israelis apparently have an excellent counter-BVR doctrine. But there are vulnerabilities as that scenario had suggested.

It was not particularly long ago that Egyptian armed forces were primarily supplied by USSR.

Yes. Way back in the Arab-Israeli wars. But they are outdated by now. Switching to a completely different system can be costly. In Egypt's case, it may be understandable.

The MiG-35 is good. My only criticism is that they have been way too slow in rolling it out. And very importantly, we need to ensure that the supplier is reliable and not swayed by politics. That is my prime concern.

I read about the MiG's problems in another forum (a Bangladeshi one). Unfortunately, it is no longer operational. I even forgot the name of the place since it was so long ago.

I didn't say the Fulcrum is bad. But, we had issues with it. I mean, a poor country like Bangladesh operating a 4th gen. fighter back in the 90's was a bit overkill. But it was a good experience nonetheless. I have explained the reasons before.

MiG-29s to be jettisoned

M Anwarul Haq

Prime Minister Khaleda Zia has said that her government intends to dispose of eight MiG-29 fighters procured two years back from Russia by the Awami League government.

picture4.jpg
"The planes are sitting idle. The state is losing money just to keep them," Khaleda told a group of journalists in the capital yesterday, according to an Associated Press (AP) dispatch. "Bangladesh wants to sell eight Russian-made MiG-29 fighter planes because it cannot afford one billion dollars a year for spare parts and maintenance."

The prime minister was speaking to members of the Commonwealth Journalists Association (CJA) at her office. Hasan Shahriar, Farid Hossain and M Mukhlesur Rahman, president, secretary-general and organising secretary respectively of the CJA, were present.

The eight MiG-29 Fulcrum jet fighters were purchased in a $124 million state-to-state deal between Dhaka and Moscow. Each aircraft was priced $11 million and the remaining $36 million was allocated for training and spare parts. Some ten pilots and 70 technicians underwent training in Russia as part of the deal to familiarise themselves with the aircraft.

The government of Khaleda Zia has levelled allegations of irregularities against her immediate predecessor Sheikh Hasina in procurement of the fourth-generation multi-role jet fighters.

Hasina, the leader of the opposition in parliament, has dismissed the charges and said that the fighter planes were purchased at competitive prices for 'defence of the country'.

The Bureau of Anti-corruption (BAC) has lodged a case with the Tejgaon police station, implicating Hasina and some high officials of her government for alleged irregularities in procurement of the MIG-29s.

In a volume of the recently published White Paper, the government of Hasina is also accused of willful wrongdoing in purchase of the military equipment from Russia. The prime minister told the newsmen that most of the MiGs had been grounded and become a burden to the exchequer.

If sold out now, the aircraft will fetch a good price, the prime minister is learnt to said. Otherwise, she added, the country will require at least 100 crore taka every year for their maintenance.

"It is therefore better to sell them and spare the exchequer from such a heavy, recurring burden," she concluded.

Besides the half squadron MiGs, the Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) is learnt to have a fully trained outfit to fly five squadrons, each having a standard of 16 jets. It has three squadrons of fighter jets. The fleet comprises Chinese A-5 ground attack aircraft, F-7 MB attack and defence role fighters and Czech manufactured L-39 jets. It has also some obsolete MIG-21 aircraft procured years back. It also possess two dozen helicopters, US made Bell and Russian MI-17.

The Chinese government is learnt to have offered to sell at least one dozen F-7 MB fighters which have proved to be less expensive and suitable for Bangladesh during the last government's tenure on deferred payment basis, but the deal was not accepted.

It was learnt that in an evaluation memo by one of the country's top security agencies it was told that the purchase of eight MiG-29 aircraft will not increase the combat capacity of the BAF, rather it might reduce it. "Maintenance requirement of the MiG-29s will exhaust the budget provision.

Other fighter aircraft may lose their effectiveness for lack of maintenance," it said. Ahead of the MiG purchase in February 1999, a military technical co-operation agreement was signed with the Russian Federation in Dhaka. Some analysts said it was not clear why such a comprehensive agreement was required to purchase eight MiG-29s.

While the US was unable to offer Bangladesh a comparable fighter jet at a competitive price, it attempted to prevent the government from buying Russian aifcraft, according to defence sources..

The BVR part is actually true. It was due to pressure from AIPAC (the Israeli lobby in America). But still, it is a headache managing two completely different platforms from a logistical point of view. Especially in a war-time scenario. Logistics should always be easy and smooth so that we can win.

Interesting. The Israelis apparently have an excellent counter-BVR doctrine. But there are vulnerabilities as that scenario had suggested.

Yes. Way back in the Arab-Israeli wars. But they are outdated by now. Switching to a completely different system can be costly. In Egypt's case, it may be understandable.

The MiG-35 is good. My only criticism is that they have been way too slow in rolling it out. And very importantly, we need to ensure that the supplier is reliable and not swayed by politics. That is my prime concern.
Oh I remember back when Bangladesh ordered 16 and then cancelled orders of 8 of them after Khaleda came to power... Russia increased the spare parts and maintenance cost. It was affordable else we wouldn't be requesting US for f-16 prior to mig purchase.
Khaleda just had to steal money nothing more nothing less. Wouldn't say hasina haven't done the same.
My guess is riyaj either quit Air Force when we decided to get mig 29 after f-16 request was rejected by USA or that he might have had done some kind of argument with his seniors about something and got dismissed? Who knows. There are many pictures of him training in f-16 in turkey.

Riyaj currently is a Bangladeshi actor making some meh to weird films for decades now.

Last edited:
MiG-29s to be jettisoned

M Anwarul Haq

picture4.jpg

1 billion dollars a year for maintainance and spareparts of MiG-29s? Was the writer high or I'm going to shit bricks?

MiG-29s to be jettisoned

M Anwarul Haq

picture4.jpg

BNP had very old animosity against Russia because of Mig-21 fiasco. Former USSR declined to supply spare for our Mig-21 after Zia took over power from a coup. So BNP always suspicious about Russia.

1) The eight MiG-29 Fulcrum jet fighters were purchased in a $124 million state-to-state deal between Dhaka and Moscow. Each aircraft was priced $11 million and the remaining $36 million was allocated for training and spare parts. Some ten pilots and 70 technicians underwent training in Russia as part of the deal to familiarise themselves with the aircraft.

2) The government of Khaleda Zia has levelled allegations of irregularities against her immediate predecessor Sheikh Hasina in procurement of the fourth-generation multi-role jet fighters.

"MiG-29K"
"12 MiG-29K and 4 MiG-29KUB contract signed in 20th January 2004 is worth Rs 3,405.61 crores as per CAG. For an exchange rate of 45.43 at that time, the amount translates to $749.7 million. Hence the average cost of a single MiG-29K is $46.9 million."

"The contracts for the jets also stipulate pilot training and aircraft maintenance, including the delivery of flight simulators and interactive ground and sea-based training systems. So the unit cost of the MiG-29K variant is still unknown".

Above is an excerpt from an article that speaks of Indian purchase of fulcrums along with the price in 2004. It was $46.9 million per unit. Prices were lower in terms of dollar in 1997---, but not what Begum Zia implied. During her 1st term, Hasina bought the 8 planes by only $11 million each. It was completely a friendship price because I have read some other materials that say the price was $15 million each at that time for a purchase of a large 50 units.

However, our stupid Khaleda initiated a policy of vengeance against Hasina claiming irregularities in the purchase of the Migs. This hypocrite tried to sell them to a 3rd country, and then filed a criminal case against Hasina, which she could not prove in the Court, anyway. Not only this, that Khaleda also made the frigate Bangabandhu a naval museum citing a high maintenance cost.

BNP government under Khaleda was against the military purchases that made military unhappy. On the contrary, Hasina understands what the military wants out of the govt., and she has been always showing positive mindedness in her tenures as the PM. Khaleda should understand why she cannot expect a military takeover whatever is the notorious & hooligan Awami domestic policy is.

Last edited:
During Khaleda tenure, there was a general notion on the air that US gonna open up a base in the coastal part of BD.

BNP had very old animosity against Russia because of Mig-21 fiasco. Former USSR declined to supply spare for our Mig-21 after Zia took over power from a coup. So BNP always suspicious about Russia.
Lmao. Little did they know the soviets were gone.

"MiG-29K"
"12 MiG-29K and 4 MiG-29KUB contract signed in 20th January 2004 is worth Rs 3,405.61 crores as per CAG. For an exchange rate of 45.43 at that time, the amount translates to $749.7 million. Hence the average cost of a single MiG-29K is $46.9 million."

"The contracts for the jets also stipulate pilot training and aircraft maintenance, including the delivery of flight simulators and interactive ground and sea-based training systems. So the unit cost of the MiG-29K variant is still unknown".

Above is an excerpt from an article that speaks of Indian purchase of fulcrums along with the price in 2004. It was $46.9 million per unit. Prices were lower in terms of dollar in 1997---, but not what Begum Zia implied. During her 1st term, Hasina bought the 8 planes by only $11 million each. It was completely a friendship price because I have read some other materials that say the price was $15 million each at that time for a purchase of a large 50 units.

However, our stupid Khaleda initiated a policy of vengeance against Hasina claiming irregularities in the purchase of the Migs. This hypocrite tried to sell them to a 3rd country, and then filed a criminal case against Hasina, which she could not prove in the Court, anyway. Not only this, that Khaleda also made the frigate Bangabandhu a naval museum citing a high maintenance cost.

BNP government under Khaleda was against the military purchases that made military unhappy. On the contrary, Hasina understands what the military wants out of the govt., and she has been always showing positive mindedness in her tenures as the PM. Khaleda should understand why she cannot expect a military takeover whatever is the notorious & hooligan Awami domestic policy is.
Some good service years wasted from bns bangabandhu thanks to stupid Khaleda. What was she thinking if we had an external aggression... fight with hay sticks?

Ah come on boys, stop cussing Lord Khaleda. The pro-nationalist brigade on PDF will be ---> :(

I consider myself a nationalist and anti-BAL.... But I would strongly state that does not somehow makes me pro-BNP.

Nationalist first.....support of political party is situational on past record and policy position.

Party affiliation has nothing to do with being a nationalist.

Well, I have put in my observation about this whole fiasco before.

1. The planes were bought rather cheap, that's for sure.

2.But the operational & maintainance cost was away above the level of BAF budget.

3. Our economy was weak. No where near the boom we are seeing now. We were almost verge of defaulting on our import bills. The reserve was very low, just a mere $ 1 billion. Gov. had to stop paying import bills, cuz if foreign reserve goes below $ 1 billion your credit rating will be negative & no one will give you easy, soft loans for infrastructure or any other purposes.

4. In that regard it wasn't a practical decision to keep the planes on air & keep carrying maintainance bills.

5. And to my true knowledge BAF high command wasn't very pleased with the situation either. They didn't liked how only eight aircraft was eating up the budget of the whole fleet. So they grounded the fighters till proper funds can be managed & allocated.

Khaleda couldn't have done anything in that regard.

The plan of selling was just a stupid idea from the useless cronies of Khaleda, who wanted some piece from the cake but of course military top bruss taught them their place.

6. And Seikh Hasina was indeed found liable, proved in the court that she indeed had made a wrong decision & caused the state economic & monetary losses through this deal. And that was during the Military supported Care Taker government.

So you people can really easy down from you political bashing band wagon. It seems kids nowadays take it as fashion trend, bashing people for useless reasons, without knowing or understanding the facts & context of things.

Last edited:
Well, I have put in my observation about this whole fiasco before.

1. The planes were bought rather cheap, that's for sure.

2.But the operational & maintainance cost was away above the level of BAF budget.

3. Our economy was weak. No where near the boom we are seeing now. We were almost verge of defaulting on our import bills. The reserve was very low, just a mere $ 1 billio. Gov. had to stop paying import bills, cuz if foreign reserve goes below $ 1 billion your credit rating will be negative & no one will give you easy, soft loans for infrastructure or any other purposes.

4. In that regard it wasn't a practical decision to keep the planes on air & keep carrying maintainance bills.

5. And to my true knowledge BAF high command wasn't very pleased with the situation either. They didn't liked how only eight aircraft was eating up the budget of the whole fleet. So they grounded the fighters till proper funds can be managed & allocated.

Khaleda couldn't have done anything in that regard.

The plan of selling was just a stupid idea from the useless cronies of Khaleda, who wanted some piece from the cake but of course military top bruss taught them their place.

6. And Seikh Hasina was indeed found liable, proved in the court that she indeed had made a wrong decision & caused the state economic & monetary losses through this deal. And that was during the Military supported Care Taker government.

So you people can really easy down from you political bashing band wagon. It seems kids take it as fashion trend, bashing people for useless reasons, without knowing or understanding the facts & context of things.

This one fb post came on my news feed. Explains the situation & wwhat rreally should be.

যুদ্ধাপরাধের বিচার চাওয়া মানে আওয়ামী লীগ সমর্থন করা না। জোটের সমালোচনাকরা মানে মহাজোট সমর্থন করা না। মহাজোটের সমালোচনা করা মানে জোটকে সমর্থন করা না। জোট- মহাজোট মানে বাংলাদেশ না, বাংলাদেশের জনগণ না।

বাংলাদেশ মানে বাংলাদেশ জনগণ, আমাদের মুক্তির সংগ্রাম।

জনগণের মুক্তির সংগ্রাম কারো ব্যক্তিগত বা দলীয় সম্পত্তি না। আমরা এই কথাটা তখনি বলতে পারব, যখন আমরা জনগণ নিজেদের জন্যে জনগণ হয়ে উঠতে পারব। জোট-মহাজোটের চক্কর থেকে বের হতে পারব। হয় তুমি আমার বন্ধু, নয় তুমি আমার শত্রু- এই বুশ ডক্ট্রিন থেকে বের হতে পারব। জনগণের নিজস্ব গণতান্ত্রিক রাজনৈতিক শক্তি গড়ে তুলতে পারব। তা না হলে মিছে মোট খাটা সার। এই যেমন বাংলাদেশ নিয়ে খেলছে জনগণের দুশমনরা, লুটেরারা, মোনাফেকরা , গণশত্রুরা। আমাদের হুঁশ হচ্ছে না। তাদের মোট খেটে দিচ্ছি আমরা।

কত সাধনায় অর্জিত বাংলাদেশ কত সহজে আমরা হাতছাড়া করি প্রতিদিন! কত সহজে হাতছাড়া করি আমাদের জীবন, আমাদের ইতিহাস, বর্তমান , ভবিষ্যৎ , প্রিয় বাংলাদেশ!

কবে? কবে আমরা দখল নেব আমাদের জীবনের? কবে আমরা বুঝে নেব আমাদের 'দেশ'?

[ অরূপ রাহী/ ১৮.১২.২০১৩। ঈষৎ সম্পাদিত।
This is the reason military purchases decision should be left at the hands of military. The govt should only either approve or decline the request.

I consider myself a nationalist and anti-BAL.... But I would strongly state that does not somehow makes me pro-BNP.

Nationalist first.....support of political party is situational on past record and policy position.

This one fb post came on my news feed. Explains the situation & what really should matter.

যুদ্ধাপরাধের বিচার চাওয়া মানে আওয়ামী লীগ সমর্থন করা না। জোটের সমালোচনাকরা মানে মহাজোট সমর্থন করা না। মহাজোটের সমালোচনা করা মানে জোটকে সমর্থন করা না। জোট- মহাজোট মানে বাংলাদেশ না, বাংলাদেশের জনগণ না।

জনগণের মুক্তির সংগ্রাম কারো ব্যক্তিগত বা দলীয় সম্পত্তি না। আমরা এই কথাটা তখনি বলতে পারব, যখন আমরা জনগণ নিজেদের জন্যে জনগণ হয়ে উঠতে পারব। জোট-মহাজোটের চক্কর থেকে বের হতে পারব। হয় তুমি আমার বন্ধু, নয় তুমি আমার শত্রু- এই বুশ ডক্ট্রিন থেকে বের হতে পারব। জনগণের নিজস্ব গণতান্ত্রিক রাজনৈতিক শক্তি গড়ে তুলতে পারব। তা না হলে মিছে মোট খাটা সার। এই যেমন বাংলাদেশ নিয়ে খেলছে জনগণের দুশমনরা, লুটেরারা, মোনাফেকরা , গণশত্রুরা। আমাদের হুঁশ হচ্ছে না। তাদের মোট খেটে দিচ্ছি আমরা।

কত সাধনায় অর্জিত বাংলাদেশ কত সহজে আমরা হাতছাড়া করি প্রতিদিন! কত সহজে হাতছাড়া করি আমাদের জীবন, আমাদের ইতিহাস, বর্তমান , ভবিষ্যৎ , প্রিয় বাংলাদেশ!

Yes of course. My bad in mis-using the word nationalist. I actually meant pro-BNP. I just indicated nationalist/national for N in BNP.

This one fb post came on my news feed. Explains the situation & what really should matter.

Bravo!

You have to give props to this Arup Rahi guy.

He spoke my mind...:-)

Just a question, what was the purpose of purchasing the Yak-130?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom