What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

Just a question, what was the purpose of purchasing the Yak-130?

The Yak-130 replaced the Czech-made Aero L-39 trainers (as well as the ex-US stock Cessna T-37 'Tweets') in the advanced jet trainer role. Not to mention a few other jet trainer types like the Fouga Magister.

Others can provide a better answer.

I hope BAF focuses on a small technologically advanced force with superior training. Especially now that the economy of Bangladesh seems to be improving. I hope there is a strong emphasis on training before buying fancy toys such as tactical fighters. Yak-130 fits the bill. I just wonder what the BAF is thinking. What do we use as primary trainers? Chinese PT-6? Also i wonder if we will buy more K-8. These need to be done before establishing additional fighter squadrons.

Bangladesh is planning to procure eight new multi-role fighters
Bangladesh’s Minister of Law Anisul Huq informed the Bangladesh Parliament that the government will be procuring eight multi-role combat aircraft for the Bangladesh Air Force.

As per local news outlets, such as the Daily News, Mr. Huq noted that the fighter acquisition – alongside the procurement of six Mi-171Sh helicopters, two maritime search and rescue helicopters, one medium-range surface-to-air missile system, and one unmanned aerial vehicle system – will be made in the current fiscal year of 2016-2017.

Mr. Huq also stated that procurements contracts for two training helicopters, a short-range air defence system, a long-range air surveillance radar, and 11 PT-6 basic trainers were signed in 2015-2016.

Long-term, the Government of Bangladesh will procure additional multi-role fighters, a new medium-lift helicopter, and a mobile radar system.
BDAF-MiG29-03-692x360.jpg

Notes & Comments:

It appears that the Government of Bangladesh has earmarked 2016-2017 for finalizing much-awaited modernization programs for the armed forces, especially the Bangladesh Air Force, which will see the procurement of multi-role fighter aircraft and enhancements to its integrated air defence system.

At the end of November, the Bangladesh Directorate General of Defence Purchases (DGDP) released an official tender for two anti-submarine warfare helicopters for the Bangladesh Navy.

In June, the Government of Bangladesh announced that it had increased the defence budget for 2016-2017 to $2.8 billion U.S. – i.e. a 7% increase from 2015-2016 (IHS Jane's). At the time, the Dhaka tribune added that the government would seek financing options from China and Russia to move forward with big-ticket arms acquisitions.

I am not that exited about the purchase of more migs to complete the squadron . It's long overdue and off course necessary.

What is particularly great is the purchase of mid range sams and various raders. This is introducing new technology after the introduction of short range sams.

In my mind we require a forth arm of the military specifically armed and deployed with defensive and offensive missiles.

BD skies and territories needs to be free for our military to effectively operate. Missile capacity will ensure area denial to our enemies within and beyond our borders cheaply and effectively.

What do we use as primary trainers? Chinese PT-6? Also i wonder if we will buy more K-8. These need to be done before establishing additional fighter squadrons.

More PT-6 will be coming in 2017. K-8 trainers were supplied this year - nine of them I believe.

Bangladesh is planning to procure eight new multi-role fighters
Bangladesh’s Minister of Law Anisul Huq informed the Bangladesh Parliament that the government will be procuring eight multi-role combat aircraft for the Bangladesh Air Force.

As per local news outlets, such as the Daily News, Mr. Huq noted that the fighter acquisition – alongside the procurement of six Mi-171Sh helicopters, two maritime search and rescue helicopters, one medium-range surface-to-air missile system, and one unmanned aerial vehicle system – will be made in the current fiscal year of 2016-2017.

Mr. Huq also stated that procurements contracts for two training helicopters, a short-range air defence system, a long-range air surveillance radar, and 11 PT-6 basic trainers were signed in 2015-2016.

Long-term, the Government of Bangladesh will procure additional multi-role fighters, a new medium-lift helicopter, and a mobile radar system.
BDAF-MiG29-03-692x360.jpg

Notes & Comments:

It appears that the Government of Bangladesh has earmarked 2016-2017 for finalizing much-awaited modernization programs for the armed forces, especially the Bangladesh Air Force, which will see the procurement of multi-role fighter aircraft and enhancements to its integrated air defence system.

At the end of November, the Bangladesh Directorate General of Defence Purchases (DGDP) released an official tender for two anti-submarine warfare helicopters for the Bangladesh Navy.

In June, the Government of Bangladesh announced that it had increased the defence budget for 2016-2017 to $2.8 billion U.S. – i.e. a 7% increase from 2015-2016 (IHS Jane's). At the time, the Dhaka tribune added that the government would seek financing options from China and Russia to move forward with big-ticket arms acquisitions.
Wasn't last years budget 3 bill with extra 2 bill for the paramilitary forces?

i think this video quoted the info about J-10 from a 2010 source.

i think BAF is likely going to go for another 8 used Mig-29 from a former USSR state.

As a non-military person (only with an interest), i wonder what the capabilities of the current BAF is. And i wonder what their thinking is in regards to the capability they hope to gain with additional platforms. That being said i dont think obtaining more Mig-29 is a good idea. I dont know the specifics about maintanance costs..etc.etc.., however Bangladesh is a small country. I would imagine a 2 engine machine requiring more resources to maintain than a single engine aircraft.

I think what Bangaldesh needs is to create a small technologically advanced forced. Highly trained. With modern capabilties. I think the economy is getting there. We need to emphasize good training and Western philosophies in tactics and strategy.

In terms of a new aircraft. How about retiring the Mig-29. Entertain buying the JF-17 block 3. Or used Gripens. Something with a single engine. Cheaper to maintain. With the capability to deliver modern munitions. BVR in air to air. PGM and stand off weapons for air to ground. anti ship capability.

I think we need to see Myanmar as a more realistic adversary than India. However I hope evenutally to see the Bangladesh armed forces reach a capability level that would give pause to India bullying us in the future.

As a non-military person (only with an interest), i wonder what the capabilities of the current BAF is. And i wonder what their thinking is in regards to the capability they hope to gain with additional platforms. That being said i dont think obtaining more Mig-29 is a good idea. I dont know the specifics about maintanance costs..etc.etc.., however Bangladesh is a small country. I would imagine a 2 engine machine requiring more resources to maintain than a single engine aircraft.

I think what Bangaldesh needs is to create a small technologically advanced forced. Highly trained. With modern capabilties. I think the economy is getting there. We need to emphasize good training and Western philosophies in tactics and strategy.

In terms of a new aircraft. How about retiring the Mig-29. Entertain buying the JF-17 block 3. Or used Gripens. Something with a single engine. Cheaper to maintain. With the capability to deliver modern munitions. BVR in air to air. PGM and stand off weapons for air to ground. anti ship capability.

I think we need to see Myanmar as a more realistic adversary than India. However I hope evenutally to see the Bangladesh armed forces reach a capability level that would give pause to India bullying us in the future.

BAF will be purchasing the latest MiGs. They are single engine and technically very good.

J10 are not available yet as the Chinese engine development is not complete. China can not sell J10 with russian engines to anyone.

J17 block 3 is in development, it is not for sale. Migs are better.

Western jets are on offer to BAF but comes with many political and economic strings attached, as such BAF will not be buying them. In the short term BAF will be Russian and in the long term full of Chinese jets.

russian options are twin engined: mig-29/35 and su-30 have 2 engines.

at worst BAF is going to purchase used mig-29. a mid range option are new mig-35. i would be pleasantly surprised with new su-30. my hope to get blk 3 fc-1 or gripen will not happen.

russian options are twin engined: mig-29/35 and su-30 have 2 engines.

at worst BAF is going to purchase used mig-29. a mid range option are new mig-35. i would be pleasantly surprised with new su-30. my hope to get blk 3 fc-1 or gripen will not happen.

Apologies you are correct the latest migs are twin engines are I am really expecting them. However it would not surprise me although not sure how feasible it is if we bought second hand single engine versions like what we already have .

I do not think BAF will buy sukois and introduce new maintenance infrastructure. We know the migs, have developed technical expertise and will buy more of them.

It's a waiting game.... BD will buy loads of jets it is just a question of can the Chinese provide them in time.

In my opinion there is no possibility what so ever of western jets.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom