BAE-HAL Sort Out Problems, India To Buy 57 More Hawk AJTs

jha

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
BAE-HAL Sort Out Problems, India To Buy 57 More Hawk AJTs

209%2BHT001%2B-%2Bhand%2Bover%5B2%5D.jpg

BAE Systems has not only managed to fend off a low-intensity war with HAL over a host of problems with the Hawk advanced jet trainer license build programme, including a damages claim, but is on the threshold of receiving a fat follow-on order for 57 more Hawks to add to 66 already contracted for. All 57 will be manufactured by HAL in country. With this new development, India's RFI last year for 57 new jet trainers -- sent out when things had really soured between BAE and HAL -- is null and void, and the Hawk prevails after all. As was the plan earlier, 40 of the new order will be for the air force and 17 for the Indian Navy. HAL chairman Ashok Nayak told Hindustan Times correspondent Rahul Singh in Farnborough yesterday, "We have ironed out all niggles with BAE Systems. The deal is going to be signed soon." Just how both sides ironed out those niggles would be supremely interesting.

This is a gr8 development. India badly needs these trainers. Its the only link between sub-sonic speeds and super-sonic speeds for our pilots. Its good to see BAE systems and HAL sorting out their issues.

how will you compare with this our on AJT-36 Sitara
General characteristics

* Crew: two, student and instructor
* Length: 11.00 m (36 ft 1 in)
* Wingspan: 10.00 m (32 ft 10 in)
* Height: 4.40 m (14 ft 5 in)
* Max takeoff weight: 4,600 kg (10,000 lb)
* Powerplant: 1× Snecma Larzac or Al-55I turbofan, 14.1 kN or 17kN (3,170 lbf or 4,500 lbf)

Performance

* Maximum speed: Mach 0.80 (850 km/h, 540 mph)
* Service ceiling: 9,000 m (29,520 ft)
* Endurance: 3 hours
* Maximum Dive Speed: 950 km/h
* Maximum Load Factor: +7.0/-2.5 g

Armament

* 5 X hardpoints with up to 1,000 kg (2,200 lb) of a variety of guns, bombs, rockets, and missiles
* 1 × 23 mm cannon (optional)

SIr perhaps your specifications r about IJT/HJT (HAL Hindustan Jet Trainer-36 (HJT-36) Sitara or Intermediate Jet trainer aircraft.)

Does IAF really need such numbers(66+57=123) f trainers for sole training purpose.Is it really worth to invest when IJT is in the pipeline too.

Last edited:
SIr perhaps your specifications r about IJT/HJT (HAL Hindustan Jet Trainer-36 (HJT-36) Sitara or Intermediate Jet trainer aircraft.)

Does IAF really need such numbers(66+57=123) f trainers for sole training purpose.Is it really worth to invest when IJT is in the pipeline too.

HAWK is an Advanced jet trainer ...Pilots need to go through 3 stages i think--
BASIC
IJT
AJT...

However i am open for more on this topic..

This is good news. I hope they speed up with IJT-36 Sitara so that we have both IJT and AJTs also while getting basic trainers both domestic and foreign to avoid the pilot attrition. It is alarming.

good for iaf ,
but we are still grapling with the problem of the primary trainer....
hope MOD solves that issue pretty soon........

Have the IAF fully inducted the first batch of 66 yet?

Not really , 28 were in service in 2009 , i dont know the production rate so you can expect anywhere around 36-40 aircraft as of now

Secondly , india really requires these trainers , coz IAF only operates a fleet of 150 HJT Kirans and 40 odd Hawks
Out of this Kirans will begin facing out once HJT Sitara enters service
Around 200 sitara have been ordered by IAF and another 40 by navy
As for some guy complaining about the number of trainers
Well British RAF operate a fleet of 500 trainers compared to iaf which has around 180-200

dude not complaining.was jst asking.I dnt mind british use 1000 or more/less.jst wanted to knw how much numbers r required in total (IJT+ AJT) an if both r being inducted for d same purpose or used for different stages.

dude not complaining.was jst asking.I dnt mind british use 1000 or more/less.jst wanted to knw how much numbers r required in total (IJT+ AJT) an if both r being inducted for d same purpose or used for different stages.

Well there was talk of operating 350 trainers
Including about 100 basic trainers and 125 each INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCE JET TRAINERS
However as of now IAF has retired HTP Deepak basic trainer ,and is using Kiran for basic as well as intermediate training.
As i said before Kiran will be replaced by sitara with iaf ordering 200 of them , and with block 1 of 72 aircraft already in production with delivery begining by end of this yr or early next year .
Basic trainer programme as of now stands cancelled with increase in number of IJT from proposed 140 to 200

It is depressing to see that we plan to buy 100s of $100 mil. aircrafts..but we dont buy the trainers to train the pilot who will fly them...Why the hell we prefer the claims made by HAL ( mostly false ) over the safety of our IAF pilots...
This Anthony dude ( may have clean image ) is not helping in procuring the necessary items..

It is depressing to see that we plan to buy 100s of $100 mil. aircrafts..but we dont buy the trainers to train the pilot who will fly them...Why the hell we prefer the claims made by HAL ( mostly false ) over the safety of our IAF pilots...
This Anthony dude ( may have clean image ) is not helping in procuring the necessary items..

Let's hope things change when we get the new basic trainers. Till then, we'll have to make do with the PRS fitted HPT-32.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom